Apple AirPods have become a popular choice for wireless earbuds, offering seamless integration with Apple devices and great sound quality. Many users like to customize their gadgets, and changing your AirPods name is a simple yet effective method of personalization. Renaming your AirPods will not only make them unique but also make it easier for you to identify them while connecting through Bluetooth.
In this article, we will discuss how to change the name of your AirPods using different devices, including iPhones, iPads, Android devices, Mac computers, Windows PCs, and Chromebooks.
Rename AirPods on Different Devices
Change AirPods Name on iPhone and iPad
Renaming your AirPods using your iPhone or iPad is a quick and easy process. We will provide step-by-step instructions below on how to connect your AirPods and change their name using these devices.
- Ensure that your iPhone or iPad has Bluetooth enabled. You can do this by navigating to the “Settings” app and then tapping the “Bluetooth” option.
- Open the lid of the case containing your AirPods (do not remove them yet). Place it near your iPhone or iPad until you see a pop-up window indicating that they are connected.
- Go back to the “Bluetooth” section in the “Settings” app. Search for the current name of your AirPods in the list of connected devices.
- Tap the information (“i”) icon next to your connected AirPods.
- Tap on the current name of your AirPods. You will now be able to enter a new name.
- After typing in a new name for your AirPods, tap “Done” at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Your custom-named AirPods will now show up under their updated title on any Bluetooth menu when connecting to your iPhone or iPad.
Rename AirPods on Android Devices
AirPods can also be paired with Android devices, and you can change their name using an Android phone or tablet. Please note that changing the name of your AirPods using an Android device will not reflect the new name across all your Apple devices. Here’s how to rename AirPods on Android:
- Turn on Bluetooth on your Android device by going to “Settings” > “Connections” > “Bluetooth.”
- Open the charging case containing your AirPods and place them close to your Android device. They should appear in the list of available Bluetooth devices.
- Tap on the gear icon next to your AirPods’ current name to access settings.
- Tap the “Rename” option, then type in a new name for your AirPods.
- Once you’ve entered a new name, tap “Rename” again or hit “Done” to save the changes.
The updated name will now be displayed when connecting your AirPods through Bluetooth on your Android device.
Change AirPods Name on Mac
You can also rename your AirPods using a Mac computer. Follow these steps to update the title of your earbuds:
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your Mac by clicking the Bluetooth icon located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Connect your AirPods to the Mac by opening their charging case and placing them close to the computer.
- Click on the Apple menu at the top-left corner of the screen, then choose “System Preferences.”
- Next, click on “Bluetooth.”
- In the list of connected devices, locate your AirPods and right-click (or control-click) their current name.
- Select “Rename” from the context menu that appears.
- Type in a new name for your AirPods and click “Rename” or hit “Enter” to confirm.
Your new AirPods name will now be displayed when you connect them to your Mac via Bluetooth.
Rename AirPods on Windows PC
Similarly, you can change the name of your AirPods using a Windows PC. Please note that this name change will only apply to your PC and not to other devices. Here are the steps to rename AirPods on a Windows computer:
- Verify that Bluetooth is enabled on your Windows PC by clicking the Bluetooth icon in the taskbar at the bottom-right corner.
- Connect your AirPods to the PC by opening their charging case and placing them close to the computer.
- Once connected, click on the “Start” menu and type “Control Panel” in the search bar. Click on Control Panel from the search results.
- In the Control Panel, select “Devices and Printers.”
- Find your connected AirPods in the list of Bluetooth devices.
- Right-click (or control-click) on their current name, followed by selecting “Properties” from the context menu.
- Switch to the “Bluetooth” tab in the Properties window.
- Edit the name of your AirPods and click “Apply,” then “OK.”
Now, when you connect your AirPods to your Windows PC via Bluetooth, they will be listed under their new name.
Changing AirPods Name on Chromebook
Unfortunately, renaming AirPods directly on a Chromebook is not natively supported by its operating system. As a workaround, follow these steps:
- Use an Apple device like an iPhone or Mac computer to rename your AirPods following one of our earlier methods.
- The changes should be reflected across all devices logged into your Apple ID, including Chromebooks.
Troubleshooting & Common Issues
Unable to Modify Airpods Name?
If you’re experiencing difficulty renaming your AirPods, consider checking for possible issues such as:
- Connectivity problems: Check if your device’s Bluetooth is turned on and connected with your AirPods.
- On another device: Ensure that your AirPods are not already linked with another device.
- Previous owner’s device connection: Make sure the prior owner has forgotten the earbuds from their iOS device.
Upon resolving these issues, follow the provided steps in this guide to rename your AirPods seamlessly.
When exploring ways to personalize your AirPods, it’s important to focus on legitimate methods rather than resorting to Pokemon Go hacking.
Will changing the name of my AirPods affect their performance or connectivity with my devices?
Renaming your AirPods will not affect their performance or connectivity with compatible devices. This process only gives them a new identifier in Bluetooth menus and settings, making it easier to distinguish between multiple devices and personalize your gadgets.
If I change the name of my AirPods, will it also change for other users who have connected to my AirPods before?
If you change the name of your AirPods using an Apple device (iPhone, iPad, or Mac) and are signed in to the same Apple ID across all devices, the new name will be reflected for those users as well. For Android and Windows users who have connected to your AirPods before, the rename may not always be updated automatically.
If I want to reset my AirPods back to their original name (default), how can I perform this action?
To reset your AirPods’ name back to the default setting (usually “YourName’s AirPods”), follow the same steps outlined in this article for renaming them using an iPhone, iPad, or Mac. When prompted to enter a new name, instead of typing a custom one, use the default format (e.g., “John’s AirPods”) and save the changes.
Can I change the name of someone else’s Airpods that I am borrowing?
Yes, you can change the name of borrowed Airpods on your device; however, this could cause confusion for both parties. It’s always best to ask permission from the owner and inform them of your intentions. Keep in mind that changing names on Apple devices with Apple ID will reflect changes across multiple devices, while renaming using Android or Windows systems only applies locally.
Are there any limitations to the name I can choose for my AirPods?
There is no particular restriction on the names you can use for your AirPods. However, it’s better to choose something easily identifiable and concise, making it simple for you (and any other user) to recognize your AirPods in a list of Bluetooth devices. Using excessively long names or inappropriate language is not advisable.