This post will walk you through blocking a contact using the inbuilt blocking feature in the iOS 16 Messages app. Here’s a quick guide to block someone in Messages on the iPhone 14 device.
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 3 minutes
Communication apps in Apple devices including the inbuilt messaging app (Messages) in iOS 16 devices are packed with a blocking feature that you can use to stop getting unwanted annoying messages from random people or specific contacts.
All you have to do is activate the blocking feature in the Messages app settings. Depicted below is the actual process of utilizing this feature on the iPhone 14 Messages. Feel free to refer to this guide when needed.
- Open the Settings app to begin. Just tap the Gear icon from the Home screen of your iPhone to launch the app.
You can also access the Settings app shortcut (gear) icon from the App library of your phone.
- While in the Settings app menu, scroll to find then tap Messages.
Doing so opens the Messages app settings menu with relevant options and features you can use.
- Navigate to the SMS/MMS section.
There, you will see three main features including Show Subject Field, Character Count and Blocked Contacts.
- Tap Blocked Contacts to continue.
On the succeeding window, you’ll see a list of all contacts you’ve previously blocked on your iPhone.
- To add another contact number to block, tap Add New.
Doing so will take you straight to the Contacts app menu where you can see the list of all your contacts.
- Find the contact that you’d like to add to your blocklist then tap on it to confirm.
The selected contact will then be added to your existing list of Blocked Contacts.
- Apple iPhone 14
From then on, you will no longer be able to receive phone calls, messages, emails or FaceTime messages from that number until you remove it from the block list.
Removing Someone from the Block list
If you’ve blocked someone by accident like when you’ve selected the wrong contact, you can easily remove the number from the block list. Just navigate back to the Messages app settings, particularly in the Blocked contacts menu.
- To remove a contact from your block list, tap Edit on the top-right corner of the Blocked Contacts screen. Doing so activates the Edit menu and the Minus sign inside a circle appears before every contact in your block list.
- To unblock a contact, simply tap on the Minus sign then tap the Unblock button on the right side. That will remove the selected contact from the block list and put it back to your contacts list.
- When you’re finished unblocking, tap Done on the top-right side of the Blocked Contacts menu then exit Messages settings.
Aside from Messages, you can also use the blocking features in other iOS relevant apps such as phone, contacts, and FaceTime. Simply access the settings menu of these iPhone apps then find the option to block someone.
And that’s how to block someone in Messages using the inbuilt message blocking feature on the Apple iPhone 14 series.