Seeing the rising number of cybercrime incidents involving identity thefts in mobile devices, manufacturers of leading smartphones ensure that every device they roll out to public should integrate a number of security features and services. In fact, the more powerful the device is, the smarter it would be when it comes to security functions.
Just like Apple’s new smartphone flagships — the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Given that these two are tagged among other highest-tiered smartphones to-date, the Cupertino-giant has to make sure that both devices entrenched more advanced security features for safekeeping. That’s one way to guarantee every user of the new iPhones that all essential data stored on the device won’t easily be exposed to unauthorized users. Typically, for these iPhone security features to work, end-users would need to activate or enable them beforehand.
This post will walk you through the entire process of configuring the iPhone 7 Plus settings to activate and use key security features on the phone. If you’re new to iOS and that you haven’t done this already, feel free to refer to this guide in keeping your device secured. Read on to learn more on how to use and manage settings for anti-theft/Find My iPhone, Touch ID, Restrictions, and other security features of the new iPhone 7 Plus handset.
But before anything else, if you have other concerns with your iPhone 7 Plus, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most commonly reported issues with this new iPhone. If you need further assistance or if you can’t find what you’re looking for in that page, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit. Don’t worry, it’s a free consultation service so you don’t have to worry about anything. Just give us more information about the problem and we’ll do our best to help you fix it.
How to use and manage anti-theft settings on your iPhone 7 Plus
As the name implies, anti-theft is a security tool that is designed for safekeeping of contemporary mobile devices including Apple’s new flagship the iPhone 7 Plus. With anti-theft solutions, you will be able to track and protect your iPhone whether it gets lost or stolen. You may opt to download any of the anti-theft software for your iOS device or use the pre-installed or built-in anti-theft app for iOS devices called Find My iPhone. Find My iPhone is a free service that comes along with iCloud. This denotes that you can use Find My iPhone as long as you have an iCloud account. It utilizes the built-in GPS to pinpoint the location of your iPhone on a map, allowing you to track and find your device when needed.
Once Find My iPhone is enabled, you can head over to iCloud.com to locate your device, send messages, lock, or erase it remotely. But then again, all these can only be possible if you’ve set up and enabled the Find My iPhone app on your device before it gets lost or stolen. For this reason, enabling Find My iPhone is highlighted among the first few important things to do from the moment you get hold of your new iPhone.
To activate this feature, you will need to configure your iPhone settings. If you haven’t done it already, follow these steps to set up and enable Find My iPhone on your iPhone 7 Plus:
- To get started, create or ready your iCloud account credentials. Typically, your iCloud account uses the same username and password as your iTunes account. In case you’re not sure or not signed in, proceed to the next step.
- Tap Settings on the Home screen of your iPhone.
- Tap iCloud to continue.
- Tap Account and then Sign In.
- Enter your iCloud username and password. After logging in successfully, you will be routed to the iCloud screen.
- On the iCloud screen, tap Find My iPhone.
- Toggle the Find My iPhone switch to turn the feature ON.
- If necessary, tap Allow to confirm action.
After doing so, you’re iPhone is already secured. For as long as you’ve setup and enabled Find My iPhone on your device before it gets lost or stolen, you still have a higher chance of getting it back or at least keep unauthorized users from accessing confidential information stored on your device.
How Find My iPhone works on your lost iPhone
If you are certain that your iPhone is lost and that Find My iPhone is enabled on your missing device, you can take additional actions to help keep your data safe and/or recover it. This is made possible with Lost Mode.
Using Lost Mode, you can lock your iPhone 7 Plus remotely using a passcode, show a custom message with your phone number of missing device’s Lock screen, and keep track of its current location. You can also use Lost Mode to suspend Apple Pay payments on your device. You can resume the use of your cards once you have it back by signing in to iCloud and disable Lost Mode. You can use your other iOS devices to activate Lost Mode on your missing iPhone 7 Plus.
- To do so, click All Devices on the other devices, then select your iPhone 7 Plus.
- Click Lost Mode or Lock.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to enable Lost Mode options for your device.
Once Lost Mode is enabled, you can start tracking your device, and view its current location. Changes in its location on the map are also determined.
You can also enable or disable Lost Mode on iCloud.com or from the Find My iPhone application.
How to prevent unauthorized users from disabling Find My iPhone on your iPhone 7 Plus
Some people just possess more advanced knowledge when it comes to technology. Thus, it’s still possible that other people can access or disable your iPhone’s security features including Find My iPhone whenever they get hold of your device. As preventive measures, you can configure other built-in security settings on your iPhone including Restrictions and Location Services. All you have to do is turn on Restrictions and lock changes to Location Services on your iPhone 7 Plus. Typically, the iPhone’s restrictions settings are used for parental control purposes. But you can also use restrictions to prevent any unauthorized user from turning off the location services, which Find My iPhone used to relay its location. Enabling Restrictions on your iPhone lets you set a passcode to protect or lock the iPhone’s location services options.
Here’s how it works:
- Tap Settings on the Home screen.
- Tap General to continue.
- Tap Restrictions.
- Select the option to Enable Restrictions.
- Create a 4-digit PIN code and confirm. You can also create a stronger passcode if you want. To do, just disable or turn off the Simple Passcode option. Doing so enables the full keyboard, which you can use to enter alphanumeric combinations for your passcode. Just be sure to take note of your passcode so you’ll have a backup in case you forget.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section.
- Tap Location Services.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and then tap the Find My iPhone option.
- Make sure that the Find My iPhone switch is turned ON and that the Status Bar Indicator is set to OFF. Doing so will put your iPhone is stealth mode, preventing other users from seeing the icon that indicates the current location is being tracked.
- Exit the Find My iPhone settings page.
- Go back to Location Services menu under Restrictions.
- Tap the option that says Don’t Allow Changes. Doing so will mark the checkbox next to it. You should then see that the items in Restrictions-> Location Services menu are greyed out.
- Now, tap the Restrictions button located on the upper-left corner of the screen. Doing so will show the padlock icon next to Location Services under Restrictions-> Privacy menu. This indicates that no changes to Location Services are allowed unless the correct PIN code is entered.
How to set up Touch ID on your iPhone 7 Plus
Touch ID is a fingerprint identity sensor is another security feature embedded into your iPhone 7 Plus. It is mainly used for unlocking your iPhone by placing your registered finger on the Home button. It’s a quicker yet more secured way of unlocking iDevices like the new iPhone. To get started, you will need to set up Touch ID on your device and manage settings and options accordingly.
Steps to set up Touch ID on iPhone 7 Plus
Create a passcode for your iPhone. Refer to the abovementioned steps to create a passcode.
Make sure that your finger and the iPhone’s Home button are clean and dry.
- Tap Settings.
- Select Touch ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode.
- Tap Add a Fingerprint.
- Hold your device as you normally do when touching the Home button.
- Touch the Home button with your finger but don’t press it. When you feel a quick vibration or prompted to lift your finger, remove your finger from the Home button.
- Rest your finger slowly and make small adjustments to your finger’s position from time to time.
- If prompted to adjust your grip, hold your iPhone as you normally do when you unlock it and then touch the Home button with the outer areas of your fingertip instead of the center portion that you scanned first. Doing so will let the device capture the edges of your fingerprint.
In case you are having trouble enrolling one finger, try to use another finger. You can enroll up to five fingerprints for your Touch ID. You can use any of the enrolled fingerprints to unlock your device by pressing the Home button.
Alternatively, you can unlock your iPhone using Touch ID without pressing the Home button.
- To do so, head over to Settings-> General-> Accessibility-> Home Button-> and then turn on Rest Finger to Open.
Once you have successfully set up Touch ID on your device, you can use your registered fingerprint to unlock or pay for online purchases in iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store.
If your iPhone 7 Plus gets lost or stolen, be sure to report it to your device carrier for them to take necessary actions to keep your iPhone data secured. This is a must-do especially in the case where your iPhone 7 Plus gets lost and that you’re unable to trace its location using Find My iPhone. Doing so will not only give your carrier a heads up of what has happened to your device but also allows them to disable your account and prevent any unauthorized calls, texts, and data usage from your lost or stolen iPhone.
Engage with us
If you have other issues with your Apple iPhone 7 Plus, we are always willing to help. Contact us through our iPhone issues questionnaire and provide us with all necessary information about your problem so we can find a solution to your issue.