Apple’s newest flagship smartphones — the iPhone 8 and its bigger sibling the iPhone 8 Plus both come with bigger storage capacity — a 64GB and 256GB model. Definitely a huge space for storing various types of contents like apps, photos, videos, and other multimedia files from the App store. You can also move or transfer all important contents from your old iPhone or other iOS devices. If ever you need some help in getting this done, feel free to refer to this content. This post will walk you through a step-by-step process in moving files from your old iPhone or iOS device to your new iPhone 8 handset. Read on to learn how it’s done and feel free to refer to this guide whenever you’re all set to start.
There are two ways for you to transfer contents from your previous iPhone or other iOS device to your new iPhone 8. You can perform a file transfer through iCloud or using iTunes. All you have to do in order to get started is to set up your new iPhone from a backup of your previous iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch.
How to transfer files from your other iPhone/iOS device to your new iPhone 8 using iCloud
One of the requisites before you begin transferring contents from your previous iPhone or iOS device to your new iPhone 8 is an Internet connection. With that said, make sure that your iOS devices are connected to the Internet with Wi-Fi. If necessary, enable Wi-Fi and then connect your device to Wi-Fi. Once it’s connected, you may already begin the iCloud file transfer.
Should you need help in getting started, follow these steps to backup your previous iPhone or other iOS device through iCloud.
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap [your device name].
- Tap iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- If necessary, turn on iCloud Backup option to enable the feature.
- Tap on Back Up Now to instigate backing up of your device through iCloud.
Keep your device connected to Wi-Fi until the backup process is complete. When you’re done creating an iCloud backup of your previous iPhone or iOS device, transfer your SIM to your new iPhone or insert the new SIM card given by your carrier. If you want to use the same SIM card to your new iPhone 8, carefully remove the SIM card from your previous device and then insert it into your new iPhone. Be sure to use only the SIM tray that came with your device because other trays won’t fit in the iPhone 8. Contact your carrier in case your device requires a different kind of SIM card than what you have. Once you’re done with the SIM card installation on your new iPhone 8, you’re all set to begin transferring your iCloud backup.
The following steps will walk you through the entire process of transferring contents using an iCloud backup. Begin when you’re ready.
- Turn on your iPhone 8. Doing so will prompt you with a “Hello” screen. If you already have set up your new iPhone, you will need to erase it before you can proceed with the next steps.
To erase your device, just head over to Settings-> General-> Reset-> Erase All Content and Settings. Doing so will erase any data that is currently stored on your device. After the reset, your device will restart and prompts you with the Hello screen.
- Tap the Home key when the Hello screen appears.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network you prefer to use.
- Follow the onscreen instructions until you get to the Apps & Data screen.
- Tap the option to Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Tap Next to continue.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to sign in to iCloud.
- If prompted, select an iOS backup to use. Be sure to select the correct iOS backup. Check the date and size of the backup file.
Note: You will be asked to sign in to each of your Apple IDs if you used multiple Apple IDs when making purchase from the iTunes Store or App Store. Otherwise, you can skip the step by tapping the option that says, “Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it.”
- Keep your iPhone 8 connected to Wi-Fi and wait until the restore process is complete.
- When the restore is finished, follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to complete the entire setup process.
As much as possible, keep your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into a power source after the setup. Doing so will allow your device to automatically download contents like photos, music and apps in iCloud back to your iPhone 8.
How to transfer files from your other iPhone/iOS device to your new iPhone 8 using iTunes
Aside from iCloud, you can also use iTunes to back up your previous iOS device and then transfer the backup to your new iPhone 8. In this case, you will need to use a computer (Windows or Mac) that has the latest version of iTunes app installed. And then follow these steps to get started.
- Connect your previous iOS device to your computer.
- Open iTunes on the computer.
- Select your previous iOS device from the list in iTunes.
Again, to save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch, select the box before the Encrypt [device name] backup and create a password. Doing so will encrypt the backup. Be sure to take note of your password because you will need this for your iTunes backup recovery.
- Click Back Up Now.
- Wait until the backup process is finished.
Once you see that your backup finished successfully, go to iTunes Preferences-> Devices menu. The name of your device and the date and time the iTunes backup was created will be shown in this folder. Encrypted backups will have a locked icon beside the device’s name. To recover this type of backups, you will need to enter the correct password.
Once you have created a backup of your previous iPhone or iOS device, you can go ahead and transfer your iTunes backup to your new iPhone 8. Here’s how:
- Turn on your iPhone 8. Doing so will prompt you with a Hello screen. If you’ve already set up your new iPhone, you need to erase it before you continue to the next steps.
- Tap the Home key when the Hello screen appears and follow the onscreen instructions until you get to the Apps & Data screen.
- Tap the option to Restore from iTunes Backup then tap Next to continue.
- Connect your iPhone 8 to the computer and select your device in iTunes. Use the USB cable that came with your device to connect it to the computer.
- Click Restore Backup then select an iOS backup you prefer to use. Make sure that you select the correct backup by looking at the date and file size.
- If necessary, enter the password to restore from an encrypted backup.
- Wait until the restore process is finished.
- Continue with the rest of the iOS setup process.
As much as possible, keep your device connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into a power source after setup to avoid any interruptions in the process. The rest of your contents including photos, music, and apps stored in iCloud will automatically be downloaded back to your device as long as your device is turned on and connected to Wi-Fi.
How to transfer contents from your Apple Watch to your new iPhone 8
Before you start setting up your new iPhone, be sure to unpair your Apple Watch from your previous iPhone (if applicable). Doing so will automatically create a backup and erases your Apple Watch, thus allowing you to restore and pair it with your new iPhone.
Here’s how to unpair your Apple Watch from your previous iPhone:
Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap your watch at the top of the screen.
- Tap the “i” or information icon.
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Tap the option again to confirm action.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID password to continue.
Keep your Apple Watch and previous iPhone close together until you finish unpairing them.
After doing so, back up your previous iPhone and then transfer the backup file to your new iPhone. Here’s how to set up and use your Apple Watch with your new iPhone 8:
- On your iPhone 8, navigate to Settings-> Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is enabled. If not, toggle the switch to turn it on.
- Ensure that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- Turn on your Apple Watch and then tap the option to Start pairing.
Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone 8 close together as they sync.
If the iCloud backup could not be completed or you cannot restore your iCloud backup or iTunes backup on your iPhone 8, take note of the error prompt you’re getting to know what went wrong and what needs to be done to resolve the underlying cause. Otherwise, contact your device carrier or Apple Support for further assistance and recommendations.
Connect with Us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.