Apple has released another breakthrough with the new feature, Find My. Although it’s not really a new feature, it is just a fusion between Find My Phone and Find My Friends. These two apps are merged together to form a single app called Find My. It is also a pre-installed app when updating to macOS Catalina.
The Find My app isn’t new to Apple users as it has already been offered on iPhone iOS 13, iPad OS 13, WatchOS 6 and now the new update macOS Catalina. Find My app helps you locate a missing Apple device even if it’s on Offline mode. This works by sending Bluetooth signals to other Apple devices nearby to help locate the missing Apple device with the help of the Apple Servers. This is of course in an invisibly, securely and anonymously manner. This in turn relays the location of the device to iCloud so that the user can locate its device in Find My app and will know exactly where you’re device is on a map. Of course, all your devices should be signed into the same Apple ID. You will have the option to ring the device if the device is lost or may choose to erase its contents in case of theft so prevent anyone from getting hold of your personal data and contents of your device.
If you own an Apple macOS or iPhone or any other Apple products, we will be glad to assist you with any concerns that you may have with your device. Feel free to contact us using this form. This is a free service that we are offering. We asked however, that when you do contact us, please try to be as detailed as possible about your concern so that we can accurately assess your concern and able to give appropriate solutions.
HERE’S A GUIDE ON HOW TO USE FIND MY APP ON macOS CATALINA
Make sure to update to macOS Catalina on your Mac Device in order to be able to use Find My App. The new macOS Catalina is free of charge. Check also if your Mac model support the new macOS Catalina. For a list of compatible Mac, refer to the list below:
- MacBook Pro (mid 2012 onward)
- MacBook Air (mid 2012 onward)
- 12-inch MacBook (early 2015 onward)
- iMac Pro (2017 onward)
- iMac (late 2012 onward)
- Mac Mini (late 2012 onward)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 onward)
Since Find My App works by locating a device, it heavily relies on the Location Services on you Mac. thereby it is recommended to enable Location Services. You can do this by simply heading over to System Preferences> Click on Security and Privacy> Click on the Privacy tab> and finally Enable Location Services.
To Set Up Find My App On macOS Catalina, follow these simple steps:
- Launch System Preferences on your Mac.
- Click on Apple ID located at the top most portion.
- Scroll down from the list of available options, enable Find My Mac
- Click on Options, next to Find My Mac and enable Offline Finding.
Find My app can be used to locate either an Apple Device (iPhone on iOS 13, iPadOS and macOS Catalina), or locate people. Let’s first look into how to use Find My app for devices.
Find My App for devices:
As mentioned before, your Apple devices should be linked with the same Apple ID to be able to locate its current location. Once located, it will automatically show its location on a map. Choose which device you want to know its location if you have 2 or more devices linked. Other options will appear on each of the device that includes: Play Sound, Directions, Mark as Lost and Erase this device.
- Play Sound: if your device is in Silent mode, the device will still play an audible sound to be able to locate your device by just finding where the sound is coming from. The sound though is not too loud by just loud enough to hear.
- Directions: in order to locate your phone, you can click on the device name and on the Map app it will automatically display the location of your device. Its current location or its last known location will be displayed.
- Mark as Lost: if you happen to have lost your device and no way of finding it, you can choose the Mark as Lost option. Once you’ve Mark as Lost your device, it will automatically be locked and your contact information will be displayed on the lock screen of your Mac. This way the person who finds your Mac will get in touch with you immediately. Also, if a theft was involved, Mark as Lost feature will not allow that theft to use your device until the Apple ID password will be inputted straight from that same device.
- Erase this device: this option should be considered as a last resort when trying to locate your lost device and you should think this through before clicking this. This option will completely erase your device including its contents and all other personal information. It basically do a complete factory reset if your device. You may choose this option for strict privacy reasons on the data on your device or for some reason that you think you can no longer locate your device.
Here are the steps to track your device with Find My on macOS Catalina:
- Open the Find My app on Mac
- Click the Devices tab
- Select the device you want to locate, a list of linked devices are located on the left side of the screen/
- View devices on three familiar map such as Default, Hybrid and Satellite.
- Click the – and + to zoom in and out of the map
- Click on the location icon to find the current location of the device on the map.
Find My App for People
Since Find My App also includes the Find My Friends app in the previous versions, you can still locate People using Find My App on macOS Catalina. Before you will be able to locate someone on Find My App, you have to share your location with them too. This is done by clicking on the Share My Location tab located at the bottom left hand corner.
A list of available People you’ve been given access to locate will be displayed on the People Screen:
- Open Find My App on Mac.
- Click on People tab
- Select the person you want to locate. The list can be found on the left side of the screen.
- Views on the maps can be done by Default, Hybrid, and Satellite.
- Click on – and + button to change the size of the map, to zoom in and out.
- Click on Share My Location if you are sending your current location to someone new
- In the “To” space, type the name of the person from your contacts you want to share your location. However if the person isn’t on your contact lists, you can add them in the pop-up menu.
- Once that person has been added, click on Send.
You will then be asked on the screen for how long you want to share your location for one hour, Share until the end of the day or Share Indefinitely.
Connect with us
If you have any questions & concerns regarding your macOS or iPhone , feel free to connect with us using this form. We will be of help and will provide you with a free technical support. Just make sure to provide us with the details as possible for us to make an accurate assessment and provide you appropriate intervention. Also, do let us know your experience along the way. I look forward to hearing from you.