One of the first things that comes in mind before you think of switching to a new device is how to migrate all important contents including apps and data from your current device to your new one. This is most likely a common thought of those who are thinking of procuring the new Apple iPhone X smartphone. Good thing various data transfer tools are now made available to back smartphone users when migrating to a new iOS device like the iPhone X. And to assist you further, we offer you a step-by-step guide on how to transfer data and contents to your new iPhone using different tools and methods. To get started, feel free to use this post as reference.
Before we proceed, if you’re trying to find a solution to a different problem, drop by our iPhone X troubleshooting page as we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this great iPhone. If you need more help from us, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us. We’ll be more than willing to help you for free.
First Few Requisites before using your new iPhone X
You need to set up your new iPhone X prior to using it the usual way. You may opt to set up your iPhone X from a previous iOS backup or as new. However, there may be some files or contents from your old iOS device that you would still need to use on your new iPhone X later on. Should this be the case, setting up your new iPhone from a backup would be a better option.
How to set up your iPhone X from a previous iOS backup?
Before you begin, you need to put some things into consideration. First, you will need to unpair your Apple Watch (if you got one) from your previous iOS device before you set up your new iPhone X. Doing so will automatically backs up your Apple Watch, thus allowing you to restore its contents after pairing it with your new iPhone. A separate guide on how to unpair an Apple Watch from your previous iPhone or iPad is available on our dedicated troubleshooting page for iPhone X under Tutorials section. If you need help, then feel free to visit the page and refer to the steps.
Aside from Apple Watch, creating a backup of your previous iOS apps and data is likewise necessary. You may opt to backup your previous iOS device to iCloud or iTunes on a computer. Once you’re done creating necessary backups, you’re all set to migrate to the new iPhone X.
How to transfer previous iOS apps and data to your new iPhone X?
There are three ways for you to migrate files from an old iPhone or iPad to the new iPhone. You can do a file transfer using Quick Start, iCloud, or iTunes. So let’s get into the details about how each of these file transfer method is accomplished.
Method 1: Transfer files using Quick Start
Any iOS device (iPhone or iPad) can be used to automatically set up your new iPhone for as long as they are running iOS 11. Both devices (source and recipient) would be necessary in the process so make sure you’re doing the Quick Start file transfer when both devices are available.
As for your SIM card transfer, contact your carrier if your new iPhone needs a different kind of SIM card than the one you’re using currently. If your carrier gives you a new SIM card then just put it into your new iPhone. Otherwise, transfer the SIM card to your new iPhone X if both devices use the same kind of SIM card.
After you have successfully installed your SIM card to your new iPhone, follow these steps to begin the transfer using Quick Start:
- To get started, bring your two devices close together.
- Turn on your new iPhone X then put it near your current iOS device.
- Wait until the Quick Start screen appears on your current iOS device.
- If prompted with the option to use your Apple ID to set up your new iPhone X, be sure to select the correct Apple ID you want to use.
- Then tap Continue.
- When you see an animation on your new iPhone X screen, hold your current iOS device over the iPhone X then center the animation in the viewfinder.
- Wait until you see a message that says Finish on New [iPhone X].
- In case you cannot use the camera of your current iOS device, tap the option to Authenticate Manually then follow the onscreen instructions to continue.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode of your current iOS device onto the device you’re setting up (iPhone X).
- Follow the onscreen instructions to set up Touch ID or Face ID on your new iPhone X.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID password on your new iPhone X. In case you have multiple devices, you also might need to enter their passcodes.
- On your iPhone X, you will be prompted with options to restore apps, data, and settings from your most recent iCloud backup or updating your current device’s backup and then restoring.
- Select a backup you want to use.
- If you have an Apple Watch and you are setting up your new iPhone X, you will also be prompted with options to transfer your Apple Watch data and settings. Make your choices based on your preferences.
- After making selections, keep your two devices close to each other and wait until your information, settings, and passwords are successfully transferred to your new iPhone X.
Keep your iPhone X connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into a power source after the setup to allow other contents like photos, apps, and music stored in iCloud to automatically download to your new iPhone.
Method 2: Transfer files using iCloud
Assuming that you already have created an iCloud backup of your previous iOS device, you may proceed with the following steps and begin moving files from your current iOS device to your new iPhone X. Make sure both your devices have access to Wi-Fi internet.
If you haven’t yet created an iCloud backup of your current iPhone or iPad, then follow these steps to create one now:
- Connect your previous device to the Internet through Wi-Fi network.
- Navigate to Settings-> [your name]-> iCloud-> iCloud Backup.
- If necessary, turn on iCloud Backup by flipping the switch to the right or ON position.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- Wait until the backup process is finished. Keep your device connected to Wi-Fi.
Once the backup is ready, proceed with the file transfer to your new iPhone X with the subsequent walkthroughs.
You will be required to erase your device (iPhone X) if you have already set it up then proceed with these steps:
- Turn on your iPhone X. You will then see a Hello screen.
- Follow the instructions until you get to the Wi-Fi screen.
- Tap to select a Wi-Fi network to join or connect to.
- Then follow the onscreen prompts until you get to the Apps & Data screen.
- On the Apps & Data screen, tap the option to Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password.
- If prompted, select a backup file to use. Make sure you choose the correct backup file. You can check the date and size of each backup.
- If prompted to update to a newer iOS version, follow the onscreen instructions to update iOS.
- If prompted, sign in to each of your Apple IDs used in your iTunes or App Store purchases. Otherwise, tap the option that says, “Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it,” to skip this step.
- Keep your device connected to Wi-Fi and wait for the restore process to finish.
- Then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup process.
You can use iTunes to sync your additional contents.
Method 3: Transfer files using iTunes
To save time and effort in going through the entire setup process, you can create an encrypted backup of your previous iPhone or iPad using iTunes then restore it to your new iPhone X. Doing so will let you restore the previous backup and bring the most if not all your password information along with it. In order to use iTunes for your data migration to your new iPhone X, you will need a computer with the latest iTunes version installed. Then follow these steps:
- Connect your previous iPhone or iPad to your computer using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- Launch or open iTunes on your computer.
- Select your previous iOS device by clicking on the device icon in the menu bar.
- Click on Back Up Now.
- Click on Encrypt Backup then add a password.
- If prompted, skip the option to Backup Apps.
- When finished, unplug your previous iPhone or iPad then turn it off.
- If you don’t have a new SIM card or separate SIM card for your new iPhone X, just take your SIM card out of your previous iOS device then put it into your new iPhone.
- Turn on your iPhone X then connect it to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Slide to set up on your iPhone.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to select your language and set up Wi-Fi network on your new iPhone.
- Select the option to Restore from iTunes backup.
- On iTunes on your computer, select the option to Restore from this backup.
- Select the recent backup you want to use.
- If prompted, enter your password. Encrypted backup requires a correct password.
Be sure to keep your iPhone X connected to iTunes until the file transfer is complete. Also keep your device connected to Wi-Fi until it’s finished downloading the rest of your contents. The process might take a while to complete depending on the amount of data you have to redownload.
What to do when you encounter any problem during the data transfer to iPhone X?
If ever you encounter any problems or errors during the file transfer, take note of the error message as it often gives you a clue on what went wrong and what needs to be done in order to rectify it and finish the transfer. It might also help to restart both of your devices then try again.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.