Some apps would crash or become a bit shaky after a new firmware update is implemented. This is likely what happens to some iPhone 7 Plus owners after installing the latest version of iOS on their respective devices. Among the transpiring issue is on the Instagram app that suddenly keeps crashing, not loading, or not working at all after the new iOS update installation. To give you some inputs on how to deal with such post-update issue on your iPhone, I’ve mapped out a few suggested workarounds and potential solutions for you to try on. Read on for more information.
For iPhone owners who found our site while trying to find a solution, try to see if your phone is one of the devices we support. If it is, then visit the troubleshooting page for that device, browse through it to find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. However, if you still need our help after that, then fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone 7 Plus with Instagram that keeps crashing
Before you troubleshoot and rule out software problems out from the underlying cause, check and ensure that your iPhone 7 Plus has stable Internet access. Online apps like Instagram require strong and stable Internet connection to work as intended. If your currently experiencing network connectivity issues on your iPhone 7 Plus, then that’s most likely the root cause of the problem and therefore, it has to be resolved beforehand. If the Internet connection is good but your Instagram still doesn’t work as intended, then this time you can start to troubleshoot your device with these subsequent walkthroughs.
First solution: Clear Instagram and background apps on your iPhone 7 Plus.
Apps can go rogue or act up when triggered by some factors including update bugs. To make sure this isn’t what triggers the Instagram app to misbehave on your iPhone, clearing the app can help. Clearing or force closing the app wipes out any errors and glitches that might have inflicted troubles on the app and prevented it from working as you expect. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press the Home button twice quickly to launch the app switcher, containing previews of the apps you’ve recently used but not closed.
- Swipe up on the Instagram app preview to clear it.
- To clear other background apps, just swipe up on individual apps like what you did with the Instagram app.
After clearing Instagram and background apps on your iPhone 7 Plus, perform a soft reset or restart your device with these steps:
- Press the Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to power off your device completely.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button to turn on your iPhone.
Allow your device to finish booting up and then retry to launch the Instagram app to see if the problem is fixed. If the app is still crashing or not loading properly, then proceed to the next method.
Second solution: Offload apps on your iPhone 7 Plus.
App crashes can also be tied to memory issues. It’s possible that the new update has consumed the rest of your phone’s available storage space and so your device is starting to show performance problems or memory-related symptoms. Should this be the case, offloading apps can help. With iOS 11, you can quickly free up space from your iPhone’s internal storage, when needed. All you have to do is enable Offload Unused Apps feature on your 7 Plus with these steps:
- Navigate to Settings from the Home screen.
- Scroll down and tap on iTunes & App Store.
- Scroll down again and tap to turn Offload Unused Apps off or on.
If necessary, turn on Offload Unused Apps to automatically remove unused apps without deleting all documents and data for the apps.
Third solution: Update Instagram and other apps, if applicable.
Your Instagram app may also need to be updated for it to keep up with the new platform changes on your device. Unless you’ve configured your iPhone to automatically install updates, you will need to manually trigger app updates to download and install on your device. To check for any pending app updates including for Instagram app, head over to the App Store and follow the rest of the instructions to update apps:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates then shows up on the screen.
- Find Instagram from the list then tap the Update button next to it. Doing so will install pending update for Instagram app.
- If you see multiple app updates, then you can update all apps simultaneously instead. Simply tap the Update All button on the upper right of the screen.
Once all apps are finished updating, restart your iPhone to refresh the system and clear the internal memory from any corrupt cache files and data. Then launch Instagram to find out if it’s already working stable this time. If not, then try the next applicable solution.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 7 Plus.
It’s possible that the new update overrides your current settings and eventually messed up some functions and/or applications. If that’s the case, then you would need to revert the settings changes. But figuring out which settings to modify can be a tedious task since you don’t really know exactly of what options were altered by the update. As resolution, you can reset all settings on your iPhone to restore the default values and options. After the reset, you can configure necessary features and options individually and accordingly. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset all settings from the given options.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap to confirm settings reset.
Reboot your iPhone when the reset is finished and then enable necessary features including Wi-Fi, cellular data, Bluetooth and other services to use them again on your device. Try and see if that fixes your Instagram app then.
Fifth solution: Delete Instagram then reinstall the latest version of the app.
As your last-ditch solution, delete the Instagram app from your iPhone 7 Plus and then reinstall the app, preferably the latest version of Instagram that’s compatible with the current iOS version of your device. Here’s how to get this done:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to wiggle, tap the X on the corner of the Instagram icon to uninstall the app.
- If prompted, confirm action by tapping Delete.
After deleting the app, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store to search for, download, and install Instagram app on your device. Here’s to do so:
- Open the App Store.
- While on the App Store main screen, tap the Search icon (magnifying glass).
- Navigate to the Search tab and then type Instagram app for iPhone or Instagram in the search bar.
- Find and select the Instagram app from the search results.
- To download the app, tap Get and Install. You may need to enter your Apple ID password to authorize and confirm app download and installation.
The app should be working properly by then unless a more complex system bug or terminal error is present.
Seek more help
You may have to escalate the issue to Apple Support so they can help you further in carrying out necessary procedures to make Instagram work with the new iOS version. There might be some settings on your iPhone 7 Plus that need to be enabled or modified. Alternatively, you can reach out to Instagram Support or visit Instagram help center to report the issue for further assistance and recommendations.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix Apple iPhone 7 Plus poor battery life, drains so fast, other battery issues after iOS 11 update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus notification alert that is not working, showing incorrect notifications after iOS 11 update? [easy steps]
- How to fix YouTube app that keeps crashing, stops working on iPhone 7 Plus following an iOS update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Network Problems: Cannot Connect, No Service, Searching, other network errors [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Calling Problem: Why is my iPhone 7 Plus unable to make outgoing calls? [Troubleshooting Guide]