Apple has recently unveiled three powerful, sophisticated smartphones dubbed as the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. These are by far, the most expensive iPhones ever released by the Cupertino tech giant. These new iPhones come with iOS 12 as pre-installed platform, thus users can expect more advanced features and functionalities. When it comes to hardware perspective, they’re also impressive. But all these won’t guarantee a completely flawless and problem-free iPhone experience. System issues can occur to any mobile device at any time. And the new, powerful, and sturdy iPhones are no exception.
While such problems seldom occur to new devices, there are a lot of factors that can make them happen. But on the positive note, most of these issues are attributed to software errors and that means they are rectifiable by some workarounds. Tackled in this post is one of the most dreaded issues that may likewise occur on the new iPhones. Read further and find out what to do whenever you bumped into an unexpected issue in which your new iPhone XR suddenly refuses to power on.
Before going further, if you found this post because you were trying to find a solution to your problem, then try to visit our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed most of the commonly reported issues with the phone. We’ve already provided solutions to some of the problems reported by our readers so try to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you and if you need further assistance, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XR that won’t turn on
The following are potential solutions to power issues affecting both old and new iOS devices. Any of these methods can potentially fix your iPhone for as long as no hardware damage is present. If your iPhone XR suddenly won’t turn on after you accidentally dropped it or got it wet, then your device likely needs service. But before rushing to the Apple Genius bar, you can still try these subsequent workarounds.
First workaround: Plug into charge.
Try to rule out the most obvious reason. Your iPhone might have completely ran out of power and therefore needs charge. That said, connect it to the charger and then give it enough time to recharge.
If possible, plug it into a wall outlet to charge up on time. Also ensure that you’re using an Apple-supplied charger or the one that came with it.
Second workaround: Force restart while charging.
An iPhone that won’t turn on doesn’t always mean that it ran out of power. It’s also possible that the phone got stuck on black screen due to system errors and rogue apps. In this case, you can carry out a force restart while your iPhone XR is plugged into the charger. Performing a force restart clears out errant apps and system errors that might have caused your device to be stuck on black screen. It works the same as the usual soft reset when it comes to dealing with random system issues but carried out using the hardware keys. Here’s how it’s done:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears and then release it.
This process doesn’t affect any saved data on the phone’s internal memory, so creating backups won’t be necessary. Just let your iPhone boot up and finish charging.
Third workaround: Attempt to restore your iPhone XR in iTunes.
If the previous workaround doesn’t help and your iPhone XR is still not turning on even when it’s fully charged, then there’s a higher chance that the phone is having complex system issues. Should that be the case, performing a system restore can help fix it. If you have a Windows PC or Mac computer that has the latest version of iTunes installed, then you may continue to troubleshoot more complex system issues and resort to a recovery mode restore. Performing a recovery mode restore is often needed when dealing with major software issues on the phone that couldn’t be remedied by prior workarounds. This process can result to data loss, thus creating backups beforehand is advised. You can attempt to back up files to iTunes, if possible. Then follow these steps to perform a recovery mode restore on your iPhone XR through iTunes:
- Plug your iPhone XR in to your computer using the original Lightning cable to USB port.
- While it’s connected, press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then quick press and release the Volume Down button.
- Next, press and hold the Side/Power button and continue to hold as it restarts. Don’t release the Side/Power button when the Apple logo appears as you need to put the device in a recovery state.
- Release the Side/Power button when you see the Connect to iTunes logo on the screen.
- Go to iTunes then you should see a message saying that your connected iOS device is in recovery mode and prompts options to update or restore.
- Select the Restore option to wipe everything from the phone system and then restore iOS through iTunes.
Refer to the rest of the onscreen instructions in iTunes to complete the iOS recovery mode restore. You may then choose to restore from a previous backup or set up your iPhone as new.
Fourth workaround: Perform a DFU mode restore on your iPhone XR.
If a recovery mode restore failed to rectify the error and the problem continues, then you may resort to the deepest type of iOS restore called the DFU or Device Firmware Update mode restore. This puts your device in a state where it’s still able to communicate with iTunes without activating the bootloader. This could be the key to fixing the problem especially if fatal system error inflicting major data corruption is the underlying cause. Here’s how to restore your iPhone XR in DFU mode:
- Plug your iPhone into the computer using the Apple-supplied Lightning cable or USB cable.
- While your iPhone is connected, quickly press and release the Volume Up button, then quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Then press and hold the Side/Power button until the screen becomes black.
- As soon as your iPhone screen turns black, press and hold the Volume Down button while continuing to hold the Side/Power button.
- After 5 seconds, let go of the Side/Power button but keep holding down the Volume Down button until your iPhone shows up in iTunes.
- Release the Volume Down button as soon as it appears in iTunes.
- Your iPhone should now enter DFU mode. At this point, follow the onscreen instructions to restore your iPhone XR in iTunes.
After performing a DFU mode restore, force restart your iPhone XR to exit DFU mode and boot up into normal mode.
What to do if your iPhone XR still doesn’t power on after applying the given solutions?
If none of the prior workarounds helped and your iPhone XR still doesn’t turn on, contact your device carrier for further recommendations. Either you’d opt to avail for service warranty, if not, new unit replacement. Or you can also take your device to the nearest Apple service center in your place for thorough hardware assessment.
How to turn off iPhone XR to refresh its memory
There are times when a premium phone like the XR would start to become slow and sluggish. When that happens, the best thing you can do is refresh its memory. You can use the procedure in the second solution or you can simply restart your device. Unlike Android devices, your iPhone doesn’t have a restart option so you would have to turn it off and turn it back on. This is how to turn off iPhone XR:
- Press and hold either the Volume Up or Down button.
- While holding down either volume keys, press and hold the Power key as well.
- Drag the slider to Power off your iPhone XR.
- To turn it back on, press and hold the Power key until the Apple logo shows.
Your iPhone will continue to boot up to the lock or home screen and that would usually fix poor performance in your iPhone.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XR smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XR. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.