Contemporary smartphones are designed to meet various demands of end-users. Aside from basic calling and texting functions, high-end devices also entrenched a wide variety of more advanced functionalities for personal and business purposes. Nowadays, more people are utilizing mobile devices for entertainment either for music or video streaming over the Internet. And that’s one of the reasons as to why YouTube becomes even more popular these days. And to meet the augmenting demand for YouTube entertainment among global smartphone owners, Google is constantly implementing new updates to ensure YouTube app’s optimal performance.
Even so, there are still instances when the app gives in to some random flaws. Emerging among the common dilemma encountered by iPhone owners with YouTube app is on random crashes and loading failure. This post demonstrates simple yet effective solutions to an app-related issue affecting YouTube app for iOS. Read further to figure out what to do whenever you wouldn’t be able to stream YouTube videos on your new iPhone XS because the app keeps crashing or not working.
Before anything else, if you have other issues with your device, try to browse through our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed several issues with this device. Odds are that we’ve already published a post that tackles similar problems. Try finding issues that have similar symptoms with what you currently have and feel free to use the solutions we’ve suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, then fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Youtube app that keeps crashing?
Before troubleshooting the application, check your Internet connection and make sure your iPhone XS can connect. To do so, launch your browser app then navigate to different websites. Also try accessing the YouTube website through your browser. Doing so will help you determine whether or not the problem is with the YouTube server. If you can access websites including YouTube, then both your Internet and YouTube server are working fine and therefore online apps and services including the YouTube app should work on your iPhone XS. Otherwise, you will need to deal with Internet problem first.
First solution: Quit YouTube then restart.
It’s possible that the YouTube app on your iPhone XS is experiencing some random glitches and therefore it’s currently unstable. To deal with these glitches, you can try quitting and restarting the application first. Here’s how:
- Go to the Home screen.
- Swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to find the YouTube app preview.
- Then swipe up on the app’s preview to close it.
Restart/soft reset your iPhone XS after closing YouTube app. Doing so will clear cache and corrupted temporary data from the phone’s internal memory. To soft reset your iPhone XS, simply do these:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume Up or Down buttons simultaneously and then release both buttons when the Slide to Power Off menu appears.
- Drag the Power off slider to turn off your iPhone completely.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
After your iPhone restarts, launch YouTube app again and see if it’s already working fine and stable. Otherwise, continue to troubleshoot.
Second solution: Clear any other background applications.
Background apps can also cause conflicts to other apps especially when any of them gets corrupted. While background apps are in standby mode, they continue running in the background until you end them. The longer they stay in the background, the more they become prone to crashing. When this happens, there’s a tendency for other apps or the phone system itself to become affected. To rule this out, follow these steps to clear all background apps on your iPhone XS:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause. You will then see the preview of all background apps or apps you’re previously opened and used but not closed.
- To clear these background apps, swipe up on each app preview until they’re all gone.
Give your iPhone another restart to refresh its memory and likewise, to clear out any software glitches. As soon as it boots up, try loading YouTube app and see if the problem is gone.
Third solution: Install pending update for YouTube and other apps.
Updates can also be considered among other possible solutions to deal with app-related issues on the phone. Like iOS, app updates also contain fix patches to get rid of any random bugs that might have destabilized or ruined certain app functions. To get this done, check for any pending updates for YouTube app on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- Scroll down to and then tap the Updates icon at the bottom right of the screen. A list of apps with pending updates will then appear.
- Locate YouTube app then tap on the Update button next to it.
- If multiple app updates are available, then you can just tap the Update All button on the upper-right side of the screen. Doing so will update all apps simultaneously.
When all app updates are completely installed, reboot your iPhone XS. Doing so will ensure that all new changes for the recently updated apps including YouTube are properly implemented. Then try loading YouTube app again and see if you’re already able to stream YouTube videos.
Fourth solution: Reinstall YouTube app on your iPhone XS.
If YouTube app continues to crash up to this point, then it is very likely that the application has become totally corrupted. Should that be the case, the only possible solution to get the app to work and use it again is to have it re-installed. But this also denotes the need to uninstall or delete it first. So here’s what you can try doing next:
- Lightly touch and hold the YouTube app icon until it jiggles. Don’t press the app too firmly because doing so will open the Quick Actions menu instead.
- Then, tap the X symbol on the upper-left corner of the YouTube app. A confirmation message will then show up.
- To confirm deletion of the app, tap Delete. The YouTube app will then be deleted from the phone.
- After deleting YouTube, reboot your iPhone XS. Once it’s done booting up, open the App Store then search for the latest version of YouTube app. Read previous app reviews and the system requirements to ensure that the app is compatible with iOS 12.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download the app.
Then follow the rest of the onscreen commands to finish installing YouTube on your device. Once it’s completely installed, launch it to see if it works as expected.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XS.
Your iPhone settings configuration may also affect apps routine and overall function. To clear out invalid settings that might have caused conflict with YouTube and eventually prevented the app from working fine and stable, try resetting your iPhone XS settings with these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings. This reset won’t affect any saved data on the phone. Only the customized settings are cleared in the process.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
After the reset is complete, trigger your iPhone XS to reboot and then reverts the default or original settings and options. Reconnect to your Wi-Fi network so you can start using Internet services including YouTube app again. See if that fixes the problem.
If YouTube app is still not loading properly on your iPhone XS or loads but still keeps on crashing, contact the app developer for more help. You may report the problem to Google’s YouTube Support team so that they can assist you further in performing more advanced solutions and to get YouTube back up and running smoothly on your new iPhone XS. Doing so will also help you determine whether the problem is on your end or Google’s YouTube server. Just be sure to relay the important details like the symptoms or error messages that are transpiring.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.