Your iPhone XR can connect to the internet thru Wi-Fi and cellular data. The former is the most widely used method as it’s more stable compared with the latter. However, you will not be able to use it if you’re on the go and that’s where cellular data enters. This method allows you to connect to the internet while you’re mobile provided you have enough credits to your account and that your device is within the coverage of your service provider. But what happens if it’s not working anymore?
There are things you can do to try and troubleshoot cellular data that’s not working on our iPhone XR anymore. And in this post, I will walk you through in fixing the problem. This isn’t the first time we encountered this problem so we have a couple of procedures we want to share with you that might just make your phone connect to the internet again through this method. So, continue reading as this article may be able to help you one way or another.
For those who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this phone. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, contact us anytime through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
Going back to our troubleshooting, here are the things you need to do if your iPhone XR’s cellular data is no longer working…
- Reboot your iPhone XR first
- Turn Cellular Data off and on again
- Toggle Airplane Mode on and off
- Reset network settings
Let me explain briefly why you need to do these things.
If you’ve been using cellular data for a long time and then this problem started without apparent reason or cause, there’s always a possibility that it’s just a result of a minor firmware glitch or issue. Needless to say, a reboot might be able to fix it as it refreshes your iPhone’s memory. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and hold both the Power button and the Volume Up button for a few seconds.
- Release both the buttons when the Slide to Power Off icon appears. Doing so will turn off the phone.
- After about 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button on the side of your phone until it restarts.
- When asked, enter your device PIN or passcode then tap OK to access the Home screen and start using your phone again.
If you want, you can also try doing the forced restart which is more effective in addressing minor software-related issues.
- Quick press then release the Volume Up button.
- Quick press then release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone and then release it when the Apple logo appears.
The next thing you need to do if a reboot or forced restart didn’t fix the problem is to toggle the cellular data switch off and back on. It is one of the most effective procedures some users reported. What it does is refresh the service behind the mobile data function.
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Scroll to and select Cellular.
- Tap the Cellular Data switch to turn the feature on. If it’s already turned on but doesn’t work, then turn the Cellular Data switch off for a few seconds and then turn it on again.
If the issue is still going on after this, then try turning on the Airplane Mode, reboot your phone and then turn it off again.
- From the Home screen, navigate to Settings-> Airplane Mode menu.
- Then tap the Airplane Mode switch to turn the feature on.
- Restart your iPhone (soft reset).
- After your iPhone restarts, head back to Settings-> Airplane Mode menu and then tap the switch to turn Airplane mode off again.
Lastly, if all else fails, you have to reset the network settings in your iPhone. It addresses all possible issues with networking and internet connectivity including the APN. If your iPhone XR was provided to you by your service provider as part of the plan, then this procedure will fix the problem.
- Go to the Home screen then tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset Network Settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
- How to reset Network Settings on Apple iPhone XR
- How to fix iPhone XR iTunes error 0xE80000A
- How to fix slow internet browsing issue on your Apple iPhone XR [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix No Service error on Apple iPhone XR, calling and texting services not available [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XR smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XR. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.