This post will walk you through a step-by-step guide in using the anti-theft feature on the latest iPhone X device. Read on to learn how to keep such a hefty device secured even when lost or stolen.
High-end smartphones like Apple’s newest flagship device, the iPhone X come with more advanced features including those designed for security purposes. These give every iOS user a guarantee that every piece of information they store on their respective devices and the device itself are safe from any unauthorized access. Recent variants of iOS devices for instance, do integrate an anti-theft security feature called Find My iPhone. It is deemed an important tool that is mainly designed to help iOS users locate and protect their Apple devices if ever it’s lost or stolen. This post will walk you through the process of using Find My iPhone on the new iPhone X smartphone. While this may no longer be a no brainer to existing iPhone users, those who just made a switch to iOS from Android devices may find this very helpful. If you are among our target audience for this particular guide, then feel free to use this content whenever needed.
What is Find My iPhone and how does it work?
Find My iPhone is an Apple-patented security application designed for use on various iOS and Mac devices. Using this app you can locate and protect your Apple device, if ever it gets stolen or lost. It is also supported in the latest iPhone series — the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.
In order to locate your missing device using Find My iPhone, you need to sign in to iCloud.com or the Find My iPhone app itself then you can use different ways to find your missing device. You can play a sound to help you find it, if you think it was just misplaced somewhere nearby. You can also lock or track your device with Find My iPhone Lost Mode feature. In the case where your device gets stolen or lost, you may opt to remotely erase all of your personal information so as to prevent others from accessing them. All these can possibly be done for as long as you have set up Find My iPhone on your Apple device beforehand.
How to set up and turn on Find My iPhone on your iPhone X?
When you enable or turn on Find My iPhone on your iOS device, you can use iCloud to help you get your missing device back. In case your device is lost or stolen, you can use Activation Lock to keep your information safe and makes it hard for anyone to use it.
You will only be able to use Find My iPhone to trace your missing Apple device if you have set it up and enabled it on your device beforehand. If you haven’t done it already, do so with these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap iCloud.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen then tap Find My iPhone.
- Tap Find My iPhone to turn it ON.
- Tap to enable the option to Send Last Location. Doing so will let you find out the last location of your missing device when it was online.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID to sign in.
Once Find My iPhone has been successfully setup, your paired Apple Watch and AirPods are likewise set up automatically.
How to use Find My iPhone?
For as long that Find My iPhone has been set up and enabled on your device, you are all good to use it when needed. Among the actions you can do aside from locating your device or your family member’s devices on a map, you can play a sound on your missing device, use Lost Mode to lock and track your device, remotely erase all your personal information from it, and use Activation Lock to protect it. Here’s how to get started using Find My iPhone on iCloud.com with your iPhone X:
- Open your browser app.
- Navigate to icloud.com/find.
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Be sure to use the Apple ID you use with iCloud. In case you are using another iCloud app, you can switch to Find My iPhone. To do so, just click the app’s name located at the top of the icloud.com screen.
What if you don’t see Find My iPhone on iCloud.com?
Should this be the case, it denotes that your account only has access to iCloud web-only features. You will need to set up iCloud on your iPhone X to use Find My iPhone and other iCloud features on your iOS device.
How to locate your missing device with Find My iPhone on your iPhone X?
Again, you will be able use Find My iPhone to track your missing Apple device only if the feature was set up on the device that you want to locate and that it is online. If the device you are trying to locate is an Apple Watch, it has to be paired with your iPhone X for you to be able to track it with Find My iPhone. Whenever you are all set to start finding your missing device with your new iPhone X using Find My iPhone, proceed with the steps:
- Open Find My iPhone app.
- Tap Help.
- Go to Locate your device.
Alternatively, you can navigate to iCloud.com and use Find My iPhone to locate your missing device. Here’s how:
- Open your browser app.
- Navigate to icloud.com then launch Find My iPhone service.
- Click All Devices. Doing so will show a list of available devices. In that list, you’ll see a dot next to the device indicating its status.
- If it shows a green dot, it means that the device you are trying to find is online and therefore can be located. You will also be able to see the time when it was last located.
- If it shows a gray dot, it means that the device is offline — either turned off or not connected to the Internet. In this case, the only available information you would see is the time it was located when it was online. It will be tagged as Offline if the device has been offline for more than 24 hours.
- Select the device you want to locate. If Find My iPhone is unable to locate your missing device, you can select the option that says, “Notify me when found” so you can get an email when it comes online.
- Continue by performing any of the following actions with Find My iPhone:
- Click the green dot on the map then click the Refresh icon to update the location of your missing device.
- Drag to move the map as you would prefer.
- Click the Zoom In (+) icon to zoom in or (-) to Zoom Out of the map.
- Click the current view to change the map view based on your preferred view of the map.
Please note that location and maps information may vary depending on the data collection services provided by third parties, which are likewise subject to change. In the case where Find My iPhone is showing incomplete maps or location information, it is possible that maps and location information is not available in that specific location.
What to do if you don’t see your missing device with Find My iPhone?
In the case where your missing device is not shown in the Find My iPhone app on your iPhone X or iCloud.com, try to verify and ensure that you have signed into iCloud on your iPhone X.
To do so, head over to your iPhone X Settings menu then tap the option to Sign In to your [device]. Enter your Apple ID and password and continue with the following actions:
- Enable the service. Go to Settings-> [your name]-> iCloud-> Find My iPhone. Make sure Find My iPhone is turned on then tap Allow.
- Verify which Apple ID you signed in with. It is possible that you have signed in to iCloud.com or Find My iPhone using a different Apple ID than the one used on the missing device that is not shown in the list. To rule this out from the possible causes, try to sign in to Find My iPhone or iCloud.com with your other Apple ID accounts and then locate your device.
- Check your connections. Make sure that your iPhone X is connected to the Internet either through Cellular or Wi-Fi network.
- Finally, verify and ensure that the time and date settings on your iPhone X are correct. To do so, head over to Settings-> General-> Date & Time-> then use the option to Set Automatically. Doing so will automatically set your date and time based on your time zone.
A more detailed solution to problems with Find My iPhone on Apple iPhone X will soon be posted in our dedicated iPhone X Troubleshooting page. Feel free to visit and get more help.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.