Apple rolls out new iOS updates periodically. Its most recent major platform released is iOS 12. Among the iOS 12 key features are better and smarter FaceTime, more advanced notification system, a more intelligent Siri, and better and faster Camera. Aside from the new features and enhanced functionalities, the latest iOS update also offers additional fixes and security updates. These are just some of the many reasons why it’s highly recommended to keep your device software up-to-date.
Generally, software updates are offered for good intentions but due to some factors, there are also updates that caused havocs to some devices. But since post-update issues are attributed to software errors, there’s always a way to fix them without taking a trip to a service center unless some sort of physical or liquid damage already exists even before updating your phone. Highlighted in this post are some applicable workarounds that are used to troubleshoot a post-update issue on the iPhone X.
If you just updated your iPhone X to iOS 12 and you end up having an unstable device, then this contents may be able to help you. Read on to find out how to troubleshoot an iPhone X that is suddenly restarting randomly after updating to iOS version 12.
First solution: Force restart.
A force restart works similar with a soft reset but carried out in a different way by combining some hardware buttons. As the name implies, it’s a method to forcibly restart an iPhone, particularly when it’s frozen or unresponsive. In short, it’s a way to restart a frozen iPhone. Performing a force restart can potentially fix minor software glitches from random bugs and application errors. It’s typical for some apps, particularly third-party apps on standby mode, to act up after a major system transition. When these apps go rogue, there’s a tendency for the entire phone system to misbehave. To clear this out, forcing the iPhone to restart can help. Here’s how to force restart your iPhone X:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Like a soft reset, no critical data will be deleted from performing a force restart except for cache and junk files from the phone memory.
Second solution: Install pending app updates.
Apps that have gone rogue from a major iOS update are usually remedied by updating. App developers also pushed regular updates to ensure optimum performance for their respective apps. They also roll out updates soon or before Apple releases a new platform. If you haven’t set your apps to auto-update, then you would need to manually do it. To check for and install pending app updates on your iPhone X, simply refer to these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- Select the Updates tab at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates then populates.
- Tap the Update button next to your browser app to install pending update for that app.
- Or, you can also tap on the Update All button to update all apps simultaneously. This option is available if multiple app updates are preset.
Reboot your iPhone when you’re done updating apps. Then see if that fixes the problem. If not, then try other applicable workarounds.
Third solution: Reset all settings.
Some settings are automatically overruled by major system updates. If this happens and you’ve previously done some settings customizations, there is a tendency for settings conflict to arise. Should this happens, the entire system may be destabilized. To rule this out, try to reset all settings on your iPhone X to wipe all customized settings and restore the default or original values. There’s no need to back up data beforehand as this reset won’t affect your iPhone data. Here’s how to reset all settings on your iPhone X:
- Launch the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- Enter your device passcode when asked.
- Then confirm all settings reset by tapping on the command prompt.
Reboot your iPhone after the settings reset and then start enabling necessary features and individual options to use them again on your phone.
Fourth solution: Factory reset through iTunes (master reset).
Performing a factory reset would be necessary to clear out more complex system errors or major data corruption that may have caused your iPhone to continuously restart unexpectedly. The latest iOS update might have caused major system data to become corrupted, causing the device to persistently act up. To ensure no interruptions during the system reset, I’d recommend resetting your iPhone X to factory defaults through iTunes. And to get this done, you will need to secure either a Windows or Mac computer that has the latest version of iTunes installed. Once you’ve got your computer and iPhone ready, proceed with these steps:
- Connect your iPhone X to your computer with the supplied USB/Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on your computer and wait for it to recognize your iPhone.
- When your iPhone X shows up in iTunes, tap on its icon to select it.
- Then navigate to the Summary panel.
- Click the Restore [iPhone] button.
- Click the Restore button again to confirm.
Allow iTunes to finish resetting and restoring the default or factory settings on your iPhone and then download the latest software version.
Fifth solution: Recovery mode restore in iTunes.
If by any chance the master reset failed to solve the problem and that your iPhone continues to show the same symptoms, then you may resort to a recovery mode restore. It’s a system restore that puts your device in a recovery state and then restore iOS through iTunes. It’s a more advanced solution used to deal with tougher and more complicated software problems on an iPhone. Again you will need to use iTunes to get this done.
- Connect your iPhone X to your computer with the supplied USB/Lightning cable then open iTunes.
- Wait for iTunes to recognize your phone and then perform a force restart without releasing the Side/Power button when the Apple logo appears. Here’s how:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Connect to iTunes screen appears. Again, do not release the Side button when you see the Apple logo since you need to put your device in recovery mode.
- Shortly after seeing the Connect to iTunes screen, you will be prompted with the option to Restore or Update. If you want to reinstall iOS without erasing your iPhone data, then select Update. Otherwise, choose Restore.
This then triggers iTunes to start wiping data and then restore the system. Wait for iTunes to finish restoring iOS and download the software for your device. It usually takes 15 minutes for the entire download process to complete. If it takes beyond 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode (Connect to iTunes screen). Should that happens, just let the download to finish and then go back to the previous steps to put your iPhone X back into recovery mode or Connect to iTunes screen and complete the entire system restore process through iTunes.
Performing a recovery mode usually fixes major software in iOS devices that could not be remedied by a factory reset. However, there are also some iOS problems that could not be dealt with by a recovery mode restore. If your iPhone X is still experiencing the same random restart symptom even after performing an iOS restore, then you may have to resort to a DFU mode restore. DFU or Device Firmware Update mode is regarded as the deepest type of iOS restore done on an iPhone. It’s usually carried out as the very last possible solution to persistent and complicated system issues affecting iOS devices including major system crashes from an update. You may refer to the steps on how to perform a DFU mode restore on iPhone X, from our iPhone X tutorials section.
If you wouldn’t prefer carrying out a DFU mode restore by yourself, then you can just take your iPhone X to the nearest Apple-authorized service center and let an iPhone technician assist you in the process.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone X smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone X. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.