Tackled in this content is a pertinent issue about the Messenger app on the special edition iPhone, widely known as the iPhone SE. Read on to find out why this happens and how to deal with this problem.
When Apple rolled out iOS 11 way back September of last year, many people ran into a number of issues and one of which is on the Facebook Messenger that appeared to be crashing almost instantly for some iPhone users. Aside from buggy updates, there are a lot of other factors that can trigger an app to crash at any time. In iOS devices, apps crashing problems are usually attributed to corrupt data if not incorrect settings. More frequent instances of apps crashing can be due to a shrinking internal storage space on the phone. This is most likely the case if you’re fond of downloading complex apps, like video games as well as multimedia files including videos, photos, and audio tracks. Let’s find out how to deal with this problem if ever you too would encounter it in the future.
Now, before we proceed with our troubleshooting, if you have other concerns with your new iPhone SE, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already published some guides and tutorials. You may also contact us by completing our iPhone issues questionnaire. This is a free consultation servicer we offer and all we need is information about the problem. So please give us that so that we can help you better.
Potential solutions to a crashing issue on your iPhone SE Messenger app
Here’s a rundown of standard solutions and recommended workarounds you can use to deal with various apps problems on your iPhone, including the one with the Messenger app that’s often crashing. Don’t forget to test the app after performing each method to find out if the problem if fixed.
First solution: Install updates for Facebook Messenger and iOS.
Aside from bringing in new and enhanced features, updates also contain bug fixes to address existing problems with an app or iPhone system itself. Just like Facebook, Apple also releases period updates to iOS for either purposes of system optimization or problem resolution. While some updates yield negative outcomes, it’s still recommended to install updates available for apps and iOS. These new updates likely bring in some fix patches to address existing issues.
- To check for available updates for your iPhone SE, go to Settings-> General-> Software Update.
- If you see a software update notification, back up your important data and then tap the option to Download and Install update wirelessly on your device.
Make sure that your iPhone is connected to the Internet and has sufficient power to complete the update installation process.
Also check if there are any available updates for your apps, particularly for Messenger. This update might contain a fix patch that will eliminate any bugs that might have triggered the app to crash.
To check for apps update on your iPhone SE, open the App Store, tap Update or Update All then wait for the update to download and install.
Restart your iPhone and then try to launch the Messenger app and test to see if it still crashes.
Second solution: Force close background apps.
While keeping your apps running in the background can help especially when multitasking with your iPhone, some of these apps will eventually crash. When that happens, there is a chance that any of your other apps or the device system itself will likewise be affected. To rule this out from the probable causes, try to quit all your background apps and then open the Messenger app again.
- To force close background apps, launch the multitasking interface by quickly double-tapping on the Home button.
- From there, swipe up on app panes to close those titles.
This closes the apps whether they’re actively running in the background or in standby. Restart your iPhone and then re-launch the Messenger app.
Third solution: Uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Facebook Messenger app.
Uninstalling the app can be the key to eradicating bugs that might have triggered the Messenger app to crash. A lot of people have done the same whenever any of their downloaded apps is misbehaving even after a force restart. For starters, here’s how to uninstall the Messenger app from your iPhone SE:
- Press and hold on the Messenger app until it starts to wiggle.
- Tap the X on the upper-right corner of the app icon, and then tap Delete.
After the app is removed, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store to re-download the Facebook Messenger app. Here’s how:
- Launch the App Store.
- Tap Search and then type Messenger in the search box.
- Look for the Messenger app version 135.1 or later version.
- Then tap Get to download and install the app again.
Wait until the app is completely installed, given your iPhone another round of restart and then launch the newly installed Messenger app to test its stability.
Fourth solution: Reset All Settings on your iPhone SE.
To eliminate the possibility of the problem being inflicted by erratic settings on your iPhone, you may opt to proceed with a reset on all settings. This will restore your iPhone settings to factory defaults but without deleting any of your apps and personal information. It’s been used to fix various types of software problems on iPhones.
- To reset all settings on your iPhone SE, navigate to Settings-> General-> Reset-> Reset All Settings.
- If prompted, enter the passcode for your device and then tap Reset All Settings to confirm.
Perform a soft reset or simply reboot your iPhone SE after all your settings are reset. Verify and ensure that you are connected to the Internet either through Wi-Fi or cellular data. Open and test the Messenger app and see if the problem is already resolved.
- Check and manage internet memory on your iPhone. Apps crashes can also be tied to memory issues on the device like when it’s running short of internal storage. In this state, the app may no longer to load or execute command inputs because there’s no more space to carry out additional processes. Try to remove or delete any unused apps, old messages, and multimedia contents from your device to free up some space.
- Factory reset/iOS restore. You may opt to try a full system reset if you think it’s worth a shot. But you have to note though that both factory reset and iOS restore are tedious procedures. All critical data including your personal information will be wiped out completely, which means the need for you to create backup of your iPhone data. After the reset, you will need to set up your device again. If the Messenger app started to crash after installing the latest iOS version and none of the prior solutions worked, then you may opt for an iOS restore either in recovery mode or DFU mode. You will need a computer with the latest version of iTunes app installed to proceed with either restore methods.
Seek more help
Consider contacting Facebook Help Center for other options if ever the problem persists or your Messenger app is still crashing after performing all prior methods. Otherwise, try to use other messaging platforms while waiting for Facebook to roll out an official fix patch through another update.
Connect with us
Visit our troubleshooting page to view more solutions to other iPhone problems we have addressed in our prior posts. If you wish to reach our iOS support team for further assistance, then you may do so by filling up this form with all the required information. Be sure to provide us with the significant details of the issue that you need help with so we would be able to give you the best possible solutions and recommendations to try on.
- Potential solutions to a crashing issue on your iPhone SE Messenger app