Among the first requisites when you own a new device is to learn its basics, from the user interface down to the basic system functions and features. While smartphone manufacturers designed their products to be as user-friendly as possible, smartphone owners are also obliged to do their part and that is to learn how to operate the device. That’s one way to get the most out of what the device can offer to end-users.
And this is what this post tackles. While this may not be necessary to tenure iOS users, those who just migrated from Android will likely need this information. Feel free to read on and find out how to perform the basic system resets on the new Apple iPhone XR handset.
Before we move on to our guides, if you found this post while trying to find a solution to a problem, then visit our iPhone XR troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common problems with this new iPhone. There could already be articles that tackle problems similar to yours.
How to perform a Soft Reset on Apple iPhone XR
Performing a soft reset or restart can resolve various types of software issues particularly minor symptoms such as random app crashes and freezes. It works similar to a restart on a computer. In iOS devices, a soft reset is a way of clearing temporary files and data that are stored as cache among apps and the phone’s internal memory. More importantly, a soft reset does not affect data stored on the phone. If you’re new to the iOS platform and has got an iPhone XR as your first iOS device, then performing a soft reset should be among the basic system management methods that you need to know about. And here’s how it’s done:
- First, press and hold the Power button, also referred to as the Side button and either Volume buttons of your iPhone for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right. Doing so triggers the phone to power off.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button or Side button again until the Apple logo appears.
Release the button as soon as you see the logo and allow your phone to finish its boot-up sequence.
How to perform a Force Restart on Apple iPhone XR
A force restart is used to restart a frozen iPhone. As the name implies, it forcibly closes apps and iOS to close and then restart. This is usually done whenever an app or phone itself suddenly freezes and gets stuck. When the phone gets stuck, the previous restart couldn’t be done since the screen is not responding to touches. And this is when force restart is needed. Like a soft reset, a force restart effectively clears out minor software errors from random app errors and system glitches without affecting data saved on the phone memory. On the new Apple iPhone XR, a force restart is done this way:
- Press the quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone until the Apple logo appears.
You may find it a bit complicated at first but when you get used to doing it, you would consider it among the usual simple smartphone routines.
How to Reset network settings on Apple iPhone XR
Performing this reset is usually needed when dealing with network-related issues on an iOS device, particularly iPhones. It resolves pertinent issues such as calling problems, Wi-Fi connection errors, and signal issues to name some. Even Bluetooth connectivity issues in iOS devices are dealt with by resetting the network settings.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap on Settings from the Home screen.
- Next, tap General.
- Scroll down to and then tap Reset to continue.
- Select the option to Reset Network Settings.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your device.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
How to Reset all settings on Apple iPhone XR
This reset erases all customized settings from the iPhone including those that are causing conflict with iOS and triggers apps or the device itself to act up. Unlike a master reset or factory reset, resetting all settings through this method doesn’t result to data loss as it doesn’t affect any saved data on the internal memory of the phone. Here’s how it works:
- Go to the Home screen then tap Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Tap to choose the option to Reset all settings.
- Enter your device passcode when asked to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
How to Reset location & Privacy settings on Apple iPhone XR
Reset Location & Privacy usually deals with GPS-related issues such as no GPS signal, inaccurate or incorrect GPS location and likewise when apps can’t determine a specified location. It basically clears current location settings and relevant information from the location-based apps and services then restores the default values. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset Location & Privacy.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to proceed.
- Then confirm location data reset.
How to perform a Factory Reset on Apple iPhone XR
Performing a factory reset is often needed and done when dealing with major software problems on an iPhone. It wipes out everything from your phone system including saved apps, customized settings and other stored data on the internal memory. In short, it erases your iPhone and then restores the default values or factory settings. Thus, you’ll lose personal information in the process. Before resetting your iPhone XR to its factory defaults, creating a back up of all critical data on the internal memory is recommended. Once the backup is created, you’re all set to instigate a full system reset. There are two ways to carry out factory reset on your iPhone and that is through settings menu and using iTunes on a computer.
This method is only applicable if your iPhone screen is not frozen or still responding properly to touches. And here’s how it works.
- Tap to open the Settings app from Home.
- Tap on General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Erase all content and settings. This will master reset your iPhone XR.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm factory reset.
Allow your iPhone to finish resetting and then restarts automatically when done. After the reset, factory defaults are loaded so you need to set it up as new.
Performing a factory reset on the iPhone XR through iTunes on a computer
This is an alternative way to factory reset an iPhone XR that is frozen, stuck or not responding to touches. To get this done, the use of computer is required. A Windows PC or Mac computer will do for as long as it runs on a later or latest platform and has the latest version of iTunes software installed. Here’s how it works.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone XR to your computer using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- If prompted to Trust this Computer on your phone, follow the onscreen instructions to proceed.
- Select your iPhone XR when it shows up in iTunes.
- Then, navigate to the Summary section on the left side of the iTunes screen.
- Click the Restore [iPhone name] button to instigate iOS reset.
- If prompted, click the Restore button again to confirm. This will then prompt iTunes to erase your device and then install the latest software version available.
Wait until the factory settings reset is complete. Your iPhone should restart by itself when the reset is finished. By then you can proceed with the initial setup process and set your iPhone XR up as new.
For more step-by-step walkthroughs and iOS guides, visit the Troubleshooting page of this site then navigate to the Tutorials section.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XR smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XR. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- How to perform a Soft Reset on Apple iPhone XR
- How to perform a Force Restart on Apple iPhone XR
- How to Reset network settings on Apple iPhone XR
- How to Reset all settings on Apple iPhone XR
- How to Reset location & Privacy settings on Apple iPhone XR
- How to perform a Factory Reset on Apple iPhone XR