The #iPhoneX is one of the newest members of the iPhone family which sports a fresh design that’s different from its predecessors. You will immediately notice that it does not have any physical home screen button and the front display has a notch on top. Under the hood lies some of the most powerful components found on a mobile device which makes this phone perform better than most devices.
One feature that this phone has introduced is the Face ID feature. This will allow the phone owner to unlock the device just by looking at the phone. While this works perfectly most of the time there are instances when it will not work. In case you own this phone and are experiencing this problem then you should proceed with the troubleshooting steps listed below.
How To Fix Face ID Not Working On iPhone X
Take note that there are instances when Face ID will not work because the phone will require you to enter your passcode.
- The device has just been turned on or restarted.
- The device hasn’t been unlocked for more than 48 hours.
- The passcode hasn’t been used to unlock the device in the last six and a half days and Face ID hasn’t unlocked the device in the last 4 hours.
- The device has received a remote lock command.
- After five unsuccessful attempts to match a face.
- After initiating power off/Emergency SOS by pressing and holding either volume button and the side button simultaneously for 2 seconds.
Update your phone software
The first thing you will need to do in this case is to update your phone software. This way you can be sure that the software your phone is using has fewer bugs when compared to the older version. This will usually fix the problem if it is caused by a software glitch.
Make sure Face ID is properly setup
I recommend that you setup the Face ID feature of your phone again. You will have to reset the Face ID first by going to settings, then click on Face ID and passcode, and then reset face id.
To setup Face ID
- Go to Settings – Face ID & Passcode. If asked, enter your passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Make sure that you’re holding your device in portrait orientation, position your face in front of your device, and tap Get Started.
- Position your face inside the frame and gently move your head to complete the circle. If you’re unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
- When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
- Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
- Tap Done.
Restart your phone
By restarting your phone you will refresh its operating system and this action will usually fux minor software glitches. This is done by pressing the volume up button first, releasing it, and then again follow the same with the volume down button, and releasing. Finally press the side button and keep holding it until the Apple logo appears on the iPhone X screen.
Make sure the TrueDepth Camera is not blocked
If you are using a phone case or a screen protector then this might affect the way the TrueDepth camera works. Try removing this first then check if the issue gets fixed.
Make sure nothing is covering your face and that you are facing the TrueDepth camera
While Face ID has been designed to work even if you are using sunglasses there are instances when certain sunglasses prevent certain light from passing through. Try removing your sunglasses then check if the issue gets fixed. You should also make sure that you are facing the TrueDepth camera at a distance of around 10 to 20 inches.
Reset the phone to factory defaults
In case the issue still persists then it’s time to reset your phone. You will need to backup your phone data before performing this step.
- Connect your iPhone X to the computer using the supplied USB or Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on the computer and wait for it to recognize your iPhone.
- Select your iPhone X from the list of devices in iTunes.
- Click the option to backup your iPhone X to iCloud or to iTunes on this computer, if necessary.
- Then click the Restore button to reset your device.
- If prompted, click Restore again to confirm action.
- Wait until iTunes is finished downloading and installing the new software for your iPhone X then set up your device as new.
Engage with us
If you have any concerns regarding your iPhone feel free to contact us using this form. We will provide you with free technical support regarding the issue you are facing with your device. Just make sure to provide as much detail as possible so that we can make an accurate diagnosis.