A smartphone usually experience rapid battery draining issue after updating because of rogue apps. It turned out that apps would end up misbehaving following a system transition. Some apps would stop working while other won’t stop working until the phone runs out of power. Apparently, the latter circumstance results to battery draining. This symptom could emerge regardless of the device models and variants. And Apple’s new iPhones are no exception.
To give you some inputs whenever you bump into the same issue after installing a new update on your iPhone XS, I’ve mapped out some helpful workarounds and potential solutions. Read further and find out what options to try when dealing with post-update battery draining issue on your new iPhone.
But before anything else, if you have another issue with your phone, drop by our troubleshooting page as we have already addressed hundreds of issues reported by the owners. Odds are that there are already existing solutions on our website or at least, there are similar problems we already fixed. So, try to find ones that are similar or related to your problem. If you need further assistance, however, feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
First solution: Clear all background apps.
If you’ve kept some apps opened or suspended during the update, then there’s a tendency that any of these apps were corrupted, gone rogue and revved up the processor until the power ran out. To solve the problem, all you have to do is force close or clear all background apps on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through apps preview.
- Then swipe up on an app preview/card to end or quit individual applications.
Follow the same procedure until all background apps are cleared.
Second solution: Reboot your iPhone (soft reset).
If clearing background apps doesn’t help and your iPhone battery continues to drain so quickly, the next thing you can apply as possible solution would be system reboot. You can do a soft reset on your iPhone XS first to clear its memory caches and refreshes the operating system. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
If that doesn’t help, then try to force close all errant services and dump junk files from the internal memory by performing a force restart on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone and then release when the phone starts up.
Both these methods won’t affect any saved data on the phone memory so you don’t have to create backups beforehand.
Third solution: Install pending app updates.
There may be some apps on your iPhone that weren’t updated and is no longer supported by the recently installed software version on your device. As a result, these apps are no longer stable or misbehaving to the point that adverse symptoms including battery draining are triggered. In this case, installing pending app updates on your iPhone can potentially fix the problem. To manually check for and install new app updates on your iPhone XS, simply refer to these steps:
- Tap to open the App Store then scroll down to Updates section.
- Navigate through the list of apps with pending updates.
- To install individual app updates, tap the Update button next to the name of the app.
- Or you can also tap the Update All button to install all app updates at once. This option is only available of multiple app updates are present.
Don’t forget to reboot your iPhone once all apps are finished updating. This is recommended to ensure that all new app changes are properly implemented.
Fourth solution: Uninstall/reinstall rogue apps.
If updating apps doesn’t help, then try to figure out which from your apps is consuming the most of your iPhone power and then delete it. Or you can uninstall and then reinstall the bad apps on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the problematic app you want to delete.
- Read the warning prompt, and then select Delete to confirm deletion of the app.
- Follow the above steps to delete all bad apps from your phone.
- Then reboot your iPhone XS (soft reset) after deleting the selected application.
- As soon as your phone boots up, open the App Store.
- Search for and select the app you want to download or reinstall then select it from the App Store search results.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and reinstall the app.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to finish installing the application on your phone.
To view which apps is using the most of your iPhone power, just navigate to Settings-> Battery menu then scroll to the Battery Usage section. Then tap on the preferred tabs to view more details of power usage.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings.
Before opting for a full system reset, you can try performing this settings reset on your iPhone XS. Doing so will erase all customized settings from the phone including those erratic settings override from the recently installed update that caused the battery to drain faster. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select Reset all settings from the given option.
- Enter your passcode when asked to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
Unlike a factory reset, this reset does not affect any saved information on the phone memory. Thus, you won’t lose any critical data in the process.
Your iPhone will then start deleting all customized options and then restores the default or original configuration. Once it’s done restoring the default settings, it will restart automatically. Wait until it starts up and then you can start enabling individual options and turn on the features you want to use on your phone including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections.
Consider trying any of the following options if none of the prior methods is able to fix the problem and your iPhone is still experiencing rapid battery draining problem.
- System restore. To rule out major system error that might have ruined the phone’s battery/power system, restoring your iPhone in iTunes can also be considered among the next options to try. You can perform a recovery mode restore or DFU mode restore if necessary. Both these restore methods affect your phone’s internal data, so it’s highly recommended to create backups of all critical files saved on the phone before you do so.
- Service. If all else failed to fix the problem and your iPhone XS battery is still draining so fast after applying all possible solutions and battery-saving tweaks, there is a higher chance that hardware damage is present. To clear this out, you can take your iPhone to the nearest Apple service center in your place and ask an authorized technician to run some thorough assessment on your iPhone’s physical components, particularly the battery. Although the battery draining symptoms started to emerge after installing a new update, it doesn’t always denote that system bugs are to blame.
You may also consider escalating the problem to Apple Support to let them be aware of the problem, make further assessments, and develop a fix patch if needed.
- How To Fix Face ID Not Working On iPhone XS
- How to fix Netflix app that keeps crashing, doesn’t load properly on Apple iPhone XS [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to remove SIM card from iPhone XS
- How to fix Apple iPhone XS Face ID that is not working [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix iPhone XS that has No Internet even if Wi-Fi status says Connected [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.