All you want is to purchase or read books in Apple Books but couldn’t get any of these done because you’re getting an error and the Book Store or Apple Books isn’t working as intended. If that is so, then this post may be able to help you. Read on to find out what to do if Apple Books or iBooks doesn’t work on your iPhone XS.
But before anything else, if you have another issue with your phone, drop by our troubleshooting page as we have already addressed hundreds of issues reported by the owners. Odds are that there are already existing solutions on our website or at least, there are similar problems we already fixed. So, try to find ones that are similar or related to your problem. If you need further assistance, however, feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Apple Books that’s not working
Before troubleshooting, check your Internet connection. Also ensure that the date and time settings on your iPhone are correct. If they’re not, then you set the correct date and time or enable the option to set date and time automatically. If there’s no problem with the Internet and the date and time are properly set, then you can move on and try the following workarounds.
First solution: Restart your iPhone (soft reset).
Minor system error might have caused some problems to your iPhone’s built-in apps and services, particularly the Books app. If you were able to use Books on your iPhone before and then suddenly it stopped working, then the app is more likely glitching or experiencing random errors. The simplest possible solution to this would be a soft reset or device restart. If you haven’t already, then you can go ahead and restart your iPhone with these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
Alternatively, you can force restart your iPhone XS Max if the screen problem persists after performing a soft reset. A force restart does the same job as soft reset does when dealing with minor software errors and glitches but carried out in a different manner. In case you wish to give it a try, simply refer to these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone and then release when the phone enters the start-up sequence.
Performing a force restart forcibly clears all suspended apps and running services including those that were corrupted and caused problems to other apps or iPhone functions.
Second solution: Clear iBooks cache and refresh contents.
Some iPhone users who have had troubles using iBooks app were able to find remedies by performing an unorthodox way of clearing cache from the iBooks app. If you wish to give it a try on your end, then here’s how it’s done:
- Open iBooks app from your Home screen.
- Tap on any of the icons on the taskbar consecutively for 10 times then stop. After the 10th tap, iBooks will reload itself and refreshes with new content.
Many people have found wonders by performing this tweak hence, you could end up having the same positive outcome from doing so. If you don’t then, move on and try other options.
- How to fix Visual Voicemail that is not working on Apple iPhone XS after iOS 12.1 update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Pandora app that keeps crashing, doesn’t load properly on an Apple iPhone XS [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix battery draining issue on an Apple iPhone XS after installing new update [Troubleshooting Guide]
Third solution: Reset Privacy and Location Services on your iPhone XS.
If the problem you’re dealing with is on iBooks that shows blank screen, resetting the location and privacy settings can help. Doing so will stop apps from using location until you grant access or permission. Here’s how it works:
- From your Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and then tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset Location & Privacy.
- Enter your passcode when asked to continue.
Then confirm reset, if prompted.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone.
If you find no luck from the previous reset, then you can try another reset that will wipe all customized settings including those that are not properly configured. Here’s how it works:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select Reset all settings from the given option.
- Enter your passcode when asked to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
Your iPhone will restart itself when the reset is finished. Enable individual options and features you want to use afterwards and then try to see if iBooks is already working properly.
Fifth solution: Update your iPhone software to the latest version available.
Installing the latest update or software version available for your iPhone may also be able to fix the problem, if malwares and bugs are inflicting the trouble. New updates often embed fix patches to address widespread system issues. If your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and your Internet is fast and stable, then you can check for and download new iOS updates wirelessly or over-the-air. Here’s how:
- From the Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update.
An update notification will show up if a new iOS version is available. Read the update details then follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the update file download and installation process. When the update is completely installed, reboot your iPhone to apply the recent system changes and to refresh the phone’s internal memory. Doing so will likewise prevent apps from acting up after the platform transition.
- Update your account. If you cannot purchase books in iBooks, then try logging out of your Apple ID by going to Settings-> iTunes & App Store-> Apple ID menu, then select the option to Sign Out. After signing out successfully, restart your iPhone and then go back to the Apple ID menu then tap Sign In to sign back in. If you’re prompted to verify your payment information, verify and ensure that your billing address, payment method, first and last name are correct and match on the actual entries on file with your financial institution.
- Factory Reset. Among the last options and possible solutions you can try on if all else failed is a factory reset. While performing this reset results to permanent data loss, most complex software issues are resolved by this method. Just be sure to back up files beforehand so you can still recover them later. You can reset your iPhone to its factory defaults through settings or using iTunes on a computer.
- Check Apple System status. It’s also possible that iBooks Store is experiencing some technical issues and thus Books is currently down. To check on the service status, visit the Apple System status page and see if Books server is available or not.
- Talk to Apple. For other official suggestions and advanced solutions, you may contact Apple Support then escalate the problem for further assistance. Just let them know exactly of what happened or how you end up having problems using Apple Books/iBooks Store on your iPhone XS, so they’ll obtain some hints on what went wrong and where to start in fixing error.
- How to fix Netflix app that keeps crashing, doesn’t load properly on Apple iPhone XS [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone XS that’s bricked and stuck in black screen issue
- How to fix Apple iPhone XS Face ID that is not working [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Apple Books that’s not working
- First solution: Restart your iPhone (soft reset).
- Second solution: Clear iBooks cache and refresh contents.
- Third solution: Reset Privacy and Location Services on your iPhone XS.
- Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone.
- Fifth solution: Update your iPhone software to the latest version available.
- Other options
- Connect with us