Deleting an app on an iPhone is fairly simple. You can delete apps from the Home screen, through the iPhone storage, or using iTunes. If you’re new to iOS and wondering how to delete apps on the iPhone XS handset, then this post will help you out. Read further for more detailed walkthroughs.
Deleting apps via iPhone XS settings
If for some reasons the previous method isn’t applicable or doesn’t work, then you can delete app through your iPhone settings menu. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap to open the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap iPhone Storage.
- Select the app you want to delete.
- Tap the option to Offload App or Delete App.
If you choose to Offload App, the selected app will be deleted but the data and files for that app will be retained. This allows you to restore your data when you reinstall the app on your phone.
If you choose Delete App, the selected app and its related data will be completely deleted permanently.
Deleting apps (third-party) from your iPhone XS
Old and unwanted applications must be deleted so as to free up some space of your iPhone storage. To delete/uninstall a third-party app on your iPhone XS, simply follow these steps:
- Lightly touch and hold the app icon from the Home screen until it jiggles.
- If you press too firmly on an app, you might open the app’s Quick Actions menu. In that case, simply tap outside of the Quick Actions list and then lightly touch and hold the app icon to exit and then retry
- Tap the X in the upper-left corner of the app you want to delete/uninstall.
- If prompted, tap Delete to confirm.
- When you’re done deleting apps, tap Done.
Doing so will also stop the app icons from jiggling and return to normal state.
Deleting built-in apps from your iPhone XS
In iOS 10, removing built-in apps from the Home screen is possible but you cannot delete or uninstall them from the phone. Yet, this has changed when Apple rolled out the iOS 12 platform. With the iOS 12 or later version, iPhone users are already able to delete some built-in applications. This applies to the iPhone XS given that this device runs on iOS 12. Deleting built-in apps from your iPhone also deletes any associated user data and configuration files. Thus, this can affect things like attributed system functions or information on your Apple device.
Here’s how to delete built-in apps in iOS 12:
- From the Home screen, touch and hold the app icon lightly until it jiggles.
- Tap on the app you want to delete or uninstall.
- Then tap DELETE when asked to confirm.
- When you’re done deleting apps, press the Home button to stop the apps from jiggling.
Deleting an app from your iPhone also deletes that app from your Apple Watch.
Restoring deleted built-in app on iPhone XS
If you changed your mind and wanted to use the app on your iPhone again, then you can restore it with these steps:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone XS.
- From the App Store main screen, search for the name of the app you want to restore. Make sure you entered the same exact name of the app.
- Find and select the correct name of the built-in app to restore.
- Then tap the Cloud icon or Get button to restore the app.
Wait until the app is completely restored and once it’s done, you should see and open the app from your Home screen already.
Deleting apps on iPhone XS through iTunes
Another way to delete or uninstall apps from your iPhone XS is using Apple’s very own iOS management system called iTunes. To use iTunes, you will need to download and install the app on a compatible computer (Windows or Mac). Once the app is installed, follow these steps to start deleting apps from your iPhone through iTunes:
- Connect your iPhone XS to your computer via USB or Lightning cable.
- When connected, open iTunes on your computer.
- Select your iPhone XS when it appears in iTunes.
- Click on Apps under the Settings section located on the left side of iTunes screen. You will then see a list of apps on the right side of iTunes screen, with Home screens next to it.
- Double-click on a Home screen from where you can select the app you want to delete.
- Then click on the app to delete. A delete sign (X) will appear on the upper left corner of the app icon.
- Tap on the delete or X sign to confirm deletion of the app. The app will be deleted quickly.
- When you’re done deleting apps, click on the Apply button from the bottom of the iTunes screen.
Deleting apps through iTunes is usually needed when dealing with app-related problems on the iPhone that involves stuck or unresponsive display.
Check out this site’s tutorials section from the iPhone XS troubleshooting page to view other helpful iPhone XS guides.
I hope that this how-to post has helped you one way or another. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post to your friends or people who may also have similar problems. Thanks for reading!