Apple has emphasized that force-closing or quitting an app on an iPhone is not really that necessary because it will end up taking up more resources when you launch it again. Nonetheless, doing so is also useful in order to keep a tidy multitasking view. It’s also necessary whenever an app suddenly gets stuck or not responding. If you’re wondering how to close apps on the new iPhone XS with the Home button no longer present, then we’ve got you covered. The steps are elaborated subsequently in this context so all you have to do is scroll down a bit and read further.
The iPhone XS comes with iOS 12 as its built-in platform. Similar to its predecessor iPhone X, the iPhone XS is also schemed without a Home button. And the absence of a Home button also changes many things from restarting to accessing the Home screen and closing apps on the new iPhone. In order to access the Home button on your iPhone XS, you will need to employ a Home gesture by touching your finger to the gesture area at the very bottom of the iPhone display. Then flick up or shortly drag and release your finger.
Meanwhile, closing apps on your iPhone XS is carried out this way:
- From the Home screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and then pause slightly in the middle of the screen. Doing so will launch the App Switcher or multitasking view, containing different apps cards or previews.
- Swipe right or left to locate the app you want to close.
- Then close the app by swiping up on its preview.
Swipe up at a 45-degree angle to access the App Switcher faster and to get it right. It may take a few times for you to get it right so just keep trying. You can exaggerate the movements at the cost of speed if you have to at first. Once you get used to it, the gesture becomes lightning fast.
To close multiple apps at once or remove all apps running in the background, then you can close up to 3 apps at once using the same method demonstrated earlier. Or simply follow these steps:
- Launch the App Switcher by swiping up from the bottom of the Home screen, then pause or hold your finger on the display for a split second and then remove it.
- When you see the app cards or previews, place your two fingers on the two app cards and then swipe up to close them.
- Alternatively, you can move the primary app to the right to show the third app card and then place your three fingers on the app cards to close three apps at once.
The recently used apps showing on the App Switcher aren’t open but rather in standby mode. While in this mode, you can easily navigate and multitask with your apps.
If you ever you encounter some errors when attempting to close apps or bringing up the App Switcher on your iPhone XS, then you can share it with us and we’ll find ways to help you fix it.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!