If you’re new to the Apple platform, then signing up for an Apple ID account is among the first things that you need to know. Most of the things you do with an Apple device, particularly iPhone require the use of Apple ID like downloading of apps via App Store or iTunes as well as using iCloud services. An Apple ID is also needed so you can sync calendars, contacts, and reminders through iCloud and when activating iMessage and FaceTime accounts in different Apple devices. While it’s not mandatory to sign up for an Apple ID, it is but very essential to so you can get the most out of your Apple device. If by any chance you already have created an Apple ID for your iPhone and you want to change or modify it, then this post will walk you through the entire process. Read on and learn how to change Apple ID on an iPhone in iOS 12 platform.
First, you will need to create a new Apple ID that you want to use. If you’ve done that already, then get the information ready and then follow these steps to change the email address that you use or set as your Apple ID.
Changing Apple ID with Apple email domains
Once you change your email address, the Apple ID that other people see when sharing with you and what Apple shows when referring to your account will also change. Here’s how it works:
- Open your browser app.
- Then navigate to the Apple ID page from the apple.com website and then sign in to your account.
- Once you’ve signed in, go to the Account section then click on Edit.
- Go to your Apple ID details then click the Change Apple ID option. A list of email options you can use as your Apple ID will then be displayed. Be sure to use only the email address that’s already associated with your account. You can see this information on the Account section of Reachable At page of appleid.apple.com.
- Select any of the addresses you want to use as your Apple ID then click the option to Continue.
You can only change your email address to another @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email that is already associated with your account if the Apple ID email address that you want to change starts with any of the said extensions.
Changing Apple ID with third-party email address
Before changing your Apple ID email address, you will be required to sign out of every Apple service and device that uses the Apple ID that you want to change. You can use your iPhone to change your Apple ID but you have to stay signed into your Apple ID only on that device.
You can enter another third-party email address or an email address with the Apple domains such as @icloud.com, @me.com or @mac.com that’s already associated with your account. Again you can access and view this information from the Reachable At in the Account section of the appleid.apple.com website.
Follow these steps to change Apple ID using your iPhone with iOS 10.3 or later platforms:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select [Your Name].
- Then navigate to Name, Phone Numbers, and Email section.
- Tap Edit next to Reachable At.
- Then Delete your current Apple ID.
- Tap Continue then enter the new Apple ID that you want to use.
- Tap Next then follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to complete the entire process.
Alternatively, you can access the Apple ID account page on your browser app (appleid.apple.com) then proceed with these steps:
- Tap Sign In then sign into your account.
- Click Edit in the Account section.
- Click the option to Change Apple ID under your Apple ID details.
- Then enter the new Apple ID that you want to use.
- Click Continue then follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
You might need to update your sign-in information with any Apple services that you’re using on your iPhone after changing your Apple ID or password.
Account verification is required if you change your Apple ID to another third-party email address. A verification code will be sent to your new email address after entering or setting it as your Apple ID. Take note of that verification code from the email as you will need to enter that into the provided fields so you can start using your updated Apple ID.
If you cannot change your Apple ID on your iPhone and are getting an error, take note of the error message then contact Apple Support or your carrier’s customer care for further assistance in resolving the issue.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!