When it comes to free online entertainment, YouTube is likely one of the leading platforms used in both Android and iOS devices to-date. For as long as the phone is connected to the Internet, anyone can browse through different YouTube channels and stream any type of videos according to their preferences. The fact that YouTube is maintained by Google makes the platform even more credible but this doesn’t denote that it’s totally free from flaws. Like any other online apps, YouTube can also give into some random troubles due to many factors from network problems, data corruption, invalid settings, and bad updates to name some.
Some problems are isolated to certain channels or video clips while others are site wide. Among the common YouTube app issues transpiring on different iOS devices, particularly iPhones is on random app crashes and loading problems. And this is the main problem addressed in this post. Read on to find out what to do whenever you’ll encounter problems with YouTube app that won’t load properly or keeps crashing on your iPhone XS.
Before anything else, if you have other issues with your device, try to browse through our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed several issues with this device. Odds are that we’ve already published a post that tackles similar problems. Try finding issues that have similar symptoms with what you currently have and feel free to use the solutions we’ve suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, then fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Youtube issue?
Before you begin troubleshooting, check and make sure that your iPhone has fast and stable Internet connection. YouTube requires fast and stable Internet speed to load video files and clips. If your internet connection is very slow or intermittent, then you will have trouble loading YouTube videos. In that case, you need to deal with Internet problems first and once you have that fixed, YouTube app should be working properly again. If your Internet is fine but YouTube is still not working properly, then try to rule out software issues on the phone with any of the following workarounds.
First solution: Quit YouTube then reload the app.
The app might have encountered some random glitches and needs to be restarted. The app might have been running in the background for too long and eventually went rogue. To get it back up and running, you need to force close YouTube app on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through apps preview.
- Then swipe up on the YouTube preview to quit the app.
- Do the same to quit the rest of the app previews you see.
Then open YouTube again to see if the problem is gone.
Second solution: Soft reset/force restart your iPhone XS.
Minor software errors might have caused conflict to YouTube app and made it unstable. To clear this out, soft reset your iPhone XS with these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
If a soft reset failed to fix the problem and YouTube is still not working on your iPhone XS, perform a force restart instead. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone and then release when the phone enters the boot-up sequence.
A force restart clears all errant apps and services that might have interfered with YouTube’s normal operation and somehow destabilized the application. It also clears all junk files including temporary data and broken data segments from the internal memory.
Third solution: Update YouTube app to the latest version.
Keeping apps updated is recommended to ensure optimum performance. Updates not only offer new features but also contain important patches to fix existing errors and problems caused by random bugs and malware. If you haven’t set your apps to auto-update, then you might have failed to install significant updates for YouTube. In that case, you will need to manually check for and implement new app updates with these steps:
- Tap App Store from the Home screen.
- Scroll down to and then tap the Updates tab to show the list of apps with pending updates.
- Navigate through the list of apps and then find YouTube.
- Tap the Update button next to YouTube app to install pending app update.
- If you see multiple app updates, tap the Update All button on the upper-right to update all apps simultaneously.
Reboot your iPhone after updating apps to apply the new app changes and to refresh your apps. Then retry loading YouTube app and see how it works.
Fourth solution: Reinstall YouTube app on your iPhone XS.
If the app continues to crash or still fails to load after applying the previous workarounds, then it might have been totally corrupted. Typically, corrupted apps will no longer be able to work unless reinstalled. This also means you have to delete the app first. After deleting the problematic application, you can search for the latest version of YouTube from the App Store. Here’s how it’s done:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the YouTube app icon.
- Read the warning prompt, and then select Delete to confirm deletion of the app.
- Reboot your iPhone XS (soft reset) after deleting YouTube app.
- Then open the App Store.
- Search for and select YouTube app from the App Store search results.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and reinstall the app on your iPhone XS.
Follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to finish installing YouTube app on your device. Once it’s completely installed, restart your iPhone and then launch the app to see if it’s already working as intended.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XS.
App-related issues are usually gone after reinstalling the application unless software errors are present. Among other factors you need to eliminate are settings errors. There may be some invalid settings or misconfigured options that somehow affect YouTube operations and that therefore should be dealt with first. If YouTube started to act up after modifying your iPhone settings, then invalid configurations are likely at fault. In that case, resetting all settings can potentially fix the problem. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
After the reset, your iPhone reboots automatically and then loads the default options and original values. You can enable individual features you want to use on your phone again including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Be sure to reconnect to your Wi-Fi network so you can use online apps and services on your device, including YouTube. Once connected, load the app and see how it works.
Seek more help
Contact Google’s YouTube support to report the problem and request further assistance in performing more advanced solutions. Also check for temporary issues or downtimes affecting YouTube server. If YouTube only crashes while attempting to access certain channels, then that could be an isolated problem. In that case, you may contact the channel owner for help instead.
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XS that’s randomly freezing and crashing after updating iOS [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Twitter app that keeps crashing, not loading properly on Apple iPhone XS
- What to do if your Apple iPhone XS suddenly shuts down and won’t turn on [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XS that suddenly gets stuck on the Apple logo [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Youtube issue?
- First solution: Quit YouTube then reload the app.
- Second solution: Soft reset/force restart your iPhone XS.
- Third solution: Update YouTube app to the latest version.
- Fourth solution: Reinstall YouTube app on your iPhone XS.
- Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XS.
- Seek more help
- Connect with us