According to Snap Inc.’s initial public offering prospectus released last year, about 158 million people (average) are using Snapchat every day. That number continues to grow each day as Snapchat continues to grace Android and iPhone devices with new features for texting and video-calling purposes. All that’s needed to get started is to download Snapchat on your phone, sign up for a Snapchat account, make some friends and start having some fun snaps and chats.
Nonetheless, Snapchat also has its own fair share of random flaws and you would just know that something is wrong if Snapchat app isn’t working on your phone as expected. To give you some inputs on what to do whenever Snapchat starts to act weird on your phone, I’ve mapped out some of the most effective solutions you can try on. Read on to find out what to do if suddenly Snapchat isn’t loading properly or keeps crashing on your iPhone XS.
If you have other problems however, visit our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If you still need our help, fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Snapchat that keeps crashing?
Before troubleshooting, check your Internet connection. Online apps won’t be able to work properly if the phone is having Internet connectivity issues like slow browsing, intermittent connection or no internet connection at all. If all your online apps are experiencing the same symptoms, then try restarting your Wi-Fi Internet connection first. Otherwise, apply any of the following procedures to rule out minor app errors and glitches from the underlying causes.
First solution: Quit Snapchat app then reload it.
Any app regardless of how well-maintained or credible it is can and will always encounter random flaws due to many different factors. Online apps like Snapchat are usually more prone to be facing minor issues attributed to network problems from slow Internet connection to intermittent or no connectivity at all. Fortunately, random app errors are usually remedied by simply quitting and then restarting the app. Hence, if you haven’t already, quit Snapchat from running and then reload it on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through apps preview.
- Then swipe up on the Snapchat app preview to end it.
If you see other apps running in the background, end them all to prevent any of them from interfering with your other apps whenever they crashed.
Second solution: Reboot your iPhone.
Minor software errors in general are typically remedied by a device restart or soft reset. Corrupted apps and services, including those that are stored as cache in certain apps or the phone memory are likewise cleared out in the process. Random network connectivity errors are also rectified from doing so, hence it’s recommended among the first possible solutions to try when dealing with random issues on any mobile devices. Performing a soft reset does not require backup creation as it won’t affect any saved data on the phone. Here’s how to soft reset your iPhone XS:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
Allow your device to finish booting up and then reload Snapchat to see if the problem is gone.
Third solution: Update Snapchat and/or iOS to the latest version available.
Installing updates for apps and iPhone software is also recommended to keep everything optimal. Aside from bringing in new features, new updates also embed some fix patches that are necessary in getting rid of random bugs, malwares and other culprits that caused various issues to certain apps or phone system. If you haven’t set your third-party apps including Snapchat to install updates automatically, then you might have failed to apply some important updates for the application. In that case, you can manually check for and install pending updates for Snapchat and other apps on your iPhone XS from the App Store. Here’s how:
- Tap App Store from the Home screen.
- Scroll down to and then tap the Updates tab to show the list of apps with pending updates.
- Scroll through the list of apps and then find Snapchat.
- Tap the Update button next to Snapchat app to to install pending app update.
- If you see multiple app updates, tap the Update All button on the upper-right to update all apps simultaneously.
Aside from updating apps, also consider installing new iOS update for your iPhone XS. This will likely resolve the problem if it’s attributed to some system errors and glitches in the first place. To check for new iOS update on your iPhone XS that can be downloaded and installed via over-the-air (OTA), simply follow these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update.
- If a new update is available, select the option to Download and Install.
Follow the rest of the given instructions to complete the new iOS update installation. When the update is finished, reboot your iPhone to apply the recent changes and to refresh the internal memory.
Fourth solution: Reinstall Snapchat.
If you still ended up having the same problem with Snapchat and it continues to crash after applying the previous solutions, then it’s possible that the app has been totally corrupted. In that case, it needs to be reinstalled. But before doing so, you will need to delete the errant Snapchat app from your iPhone. Here’s how:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the Snapchat app icon.
- Read the warning prompt, and then select Delete to confirm deletion of the app.
- Reboot your iPhone XS (soft reset) after deleting Snapchat app.
- Then open the App Store.
- Search for and select Snapchat app from the App Store search results.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and reinstall the app.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to finish installing Snapchat on your phone.
Reboot your iPhone after successfully installing Snapchat to clear errant caches from the phone’s internal memory. The app should be running properly unless it wasn’t successfully installed on your device. To find out, try loading the recently installed Snapchat app as soon as your iPhone boots up and reconnects to Wi-Fi and then see how it works. If the problem continues or Snapchat is still not loading properly on your phone, then the problem is more likely with the phone system, if not with the Snapchat server.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings.
To rule out minor system errors that might have caused Snapchat app to experience such flaws, resetting all settings and restoring the default options can be considered as the next possible solution. There may be some customized settings on the phone that caused conflict with Snapchat and so they have to be cleared out. So here’s what you should do then:
- From the Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
After the reset, your iPhone reboots automatically. Wait until it boots up and then reconnect to your Wi-Fi network to go back online and use online apps and services on your device.
Retry loading Snapchat once your iPhone is connected and then see how the app works this time. If the problem continues or Snapchat continues to show the same symptoms, then you may have to consider escalating the problem to the app developer for further assistance and suggestions. The problem could be on the server.
Seek more help
For more advanced troubleshooting procedures, you may attempt to contact Snapchat support and let them know about the trouble you’re into when using the app on your iPhone XS. Should this be a problem with the Snapchat server, then all you have to do is to wait until it’s resolved. In the meantime, you can use alternative apps as temporary replacement for Snapchat.
- How to fix cellular data that is not working on Apple iPhone XS, Cellular Update Failed error [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to deal with intermittent charging problem on your Apple iPhone XS from wireless charging interference [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix unable to check for update error on Apple iPhone XS, won’t update iOS wirelessly
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Snapchat that keeps crashing?