The number of smartphone owners having Facebook account is increasing by the day and so as those who are using Messenger for instant messaging. The continuous roll-out of new features and frequent enhancements make this messaging platform even more credible, thus constantly drawing more subscribers. But the fact that Messenger is an online application also makes it not totally exempted from random flaws and down times.
Hence, a lot of people have had and will have trouble with the Messenger app regardless of what type of device and platform it runs on. The outlined solutions below are comprised of standard procedures to troubleshoot the Messenger app that suddenly keeps crashing or not loading properly on the iPhone XS. Keep reading for more information.
For those who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this phone. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, contact us anytime through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to fix Messenger that keeps crashing on iPhone XS
Before troubleshooting app problems, check your phone’s Internet connection. A stable Internet connection is one of the key requisites for Messenger and other online apps to work on your device. If you’re relying on Wi-Fi networks for your Internet, then make sure your phone is connected to the correct network. If you’re on cellular data, make sure that cellular data is enabled that your phone has access to the Internet. The simplest way to check if your iPhone has Internet connection is to launch a browser app and then navigate to different websites. If all websites are loading as expected, then your Internet is working and thus the problem is more likely from within the app or main server itself. At this point, you can try the following methods to troubleshoot application errors that might have caused trouble with the Messenger on your iPhone XS.
First solution: Force close Messenger then restart.
Apps can give in to random issues. For online apps like Messenger, network errors are usually the cause of troubles. Symptoms would vary depending on which part or function of the application is afflicted. To clear such random flaws, forcing the Messenger app to close and restarting the app usually helps. So you may consider this as your first option to try on. Here’s how it’s done:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through the apps preview until you find Messenger.
- Then swipe up on the Messenger app preview to close it.
If you see other apps running in the background aside from Messenger, do the same to quit them and clear all background apps from your iPhone XS.
Second solution: Reboot your iPhone XS (soft reset).
If quitting and restarting Messenger don’t render positive outcome, then try ruling random firmware crashes out from the underlying causes. The simplest way to do this is by performing a soft reset or reboot on your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button or Side button again until the phone boots up.
A soft reset also helps clear junk files from the phone’s internal memory and allows the system to refresh. No internal data is affected, so all your saved contents remain.
After your iPhone boots up, retry loading Messenger and see if the problem is gone. If not, then continue to troubleshoot the app.
Third solution: Update Messenger app on your iPhone XS.
Installing new updates can also fix apps especially if the symptoms are triggered by malware or software bugs. Like iOS updates, app updates also offer fix patches for security enhancements, and likewise to get rid of bugs and errors. If you haven’t set your apps to auto-update, then you might have missed some important updates to install. In that case, you can manually check for and install pending app updates particularly for Messenger app on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Navigate to the Updates section. A list of apps with pending updates will then pop up.
- Find Messenger from the list and then tap the Update button next to its name to install pending updates.
- If multiple pending app updates are available, tap the Update All button on the upper right side of the screen to update all apps simultaneously.
Wait until your apps are finished updating and once they’re done, reboot your iPhone XS to apply the recent changes and to refresh your apps.
Fourth solution: Reinstall Messenger app on your iPhone XS.
In worst case scenarios, an app may still not be able to work even after applying the prior solutions because it’s completely corrupted. In this case, you would need to reinstall the application. But before reinstalling, you have to delete the corrupted Messenger app version first. So here’s what you can try doing then:
- Unlock your iPhone by entering your passcode or Face ID to access the Home screen.
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the Messenger app icon.
- Read the warning prompt, and then select Delete to confirm deletion of the app.
- Reboot your iPhone XS (soft reset) after deleting Messenger app.
- Then open the App Store.
- Search for and then select Messenger app from the search results.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and reinstall the app.
Reboot your iPhone when the app is completely installed and then try to launch the recently installed Messenger app to see how it works.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XS.
Any of the above-given solutions should be able to deal with in-app errors that are causing the transpiring symptoms but if that failed, then there’s a higher chance that the problem is on the iPhone system itself. Among the possible culprits you can rule out first are invalid or incorrect settings. If the Messenger app was working perfectly fine until you made some changes to your iPhone settings, then any of the recent settings changes you’ve made is likely to blame. To clear this out, reverting the settings back to how they were configured is recommended. The easiest and quickest way to do so is by performing all settings reset on your iPhone XS with these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll down and tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all Settings.
- Enter your device passcode, when asked to proceed.
- Then tap the option to confirm settings reset.
Unlike a factory reset or master reset, this reset only erases all customized settings from your phone system. Any invalid configurations that caused conflict with the Messenger app’s usual operations will also be cleared in the process. After the reset, enable Wi-Fi or cellular data to set up Internet connection and use Internet apps and services, including Messenger app on your iPhone XS. Once your Internet is all set, open Messenger and see if the problem is gone. If the app still refuses to load or keeps crashing, then you should seek more help already.
You can contact Facebook-Messenger Support or visit Facebook Help Center to post your issue and request further support and recommendations from the support community. If you were able to use Messenger before it kept crashing or stopped loading on your iPhone XS, then this could be an isolated issue with the app that needs clear-cut solutions.
- How to update iPhone XS to the latest iOS version
- How to fix iPhone XS Facebook app not showing push notifications
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XS that suddenly gets stuck on the Apple logo, cannot access Home screen [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do if iPhone XS sound notifications stops working after an update
- How to fix Apple iPhone XS microphone problems, microphone not working [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.