There are two possible reasons as to why your iPhone XS Max microphone suddenly stops working. It’s either just the phone system that’s glitching or could be indicating some sort of hardware failures. Before rushing to a service center, it is but recommended to try some applicable workarounds to rule out software errors and glitches from the underlying causes.
To give you some inputs on what to do whenever you’d bump into this same issue, I’ve mapped out some helpful workarounds you can use when troubleshooting your iPhone. Read further to learn what to do when the microphone suddenly stops working on your iPhone XS Max handset.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you are looking for a solution to a different issue, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed some of the most common problems reported by our readers. Find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If you still need our help after that, then feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
First solution: Reboot your iPhone XS Max.
Like any other iOS feature, the microphone system can also give into random software glitches and errors. And this is when it suddenly stops working as expected. If your iPhone XS Max microphone was working fine and then suddenly failed, then random glitches might be to blame. The solution to this would be a system reboot. That said, follow these steps to soft reset your iPhone XS Max:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
Test the microphone as soon as the phone boots up. If it’s still not working, then try to force restart your iPhone XS Max instead. Doing so helps clear out rogue apps that might have corrupted the microphone system and prevented it from working properly. Here’s how a force restart is done:
- Press the quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone until the Apple logo appears.
If the microphone is still not working after performing both a soft reset and force restart, then try ruling out other possible culprits that might have caused the problem to persist.
Second solution: Turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone XS Max .
To rule out corrupted Bluetooth connections from causing conflict with the phone’s microphone and audio functions, disable Bluetooth on your iPhone XS Max by going to Settings-> Bluetooth menu, then turn the Bluetooth switch off. Otherwise, forget or delete all saved Bluetooth devices/connections from your iPhone XS Max with these steps:
- Open the Settings from your Home screen.
- Scroll to and choose Bluetooth.
- Tap information (i) icon next to Bluetooth device you want your iPhone to forget.
- Then tap the option to Forget This Device.
- The selected Bluetooth device will then be deleted.
- Follow the same process to delete all other Bluetooth devices.
Once all Bluetooth connections are removed, clear cache from the your iPhone’s memory by performing a soft reset. This also refreshes the entire system.
Third solution: Update iOS to the latest version available.
Installing the latest iOS version available can also be the key to fixing microphone problems on your iPhone XS Max, particularly those that are attributed to system errors and bugs. Aside from new features, iOS updates also offer fix patches to address various system issues affecting iOS devices. If you’re connected to Wi-Fi internet, then you can check for new over-the-air (OTA) updates by performing these steps:
- Tap to open Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Select Software Update.
An update notification will show up if a new iOS version is up for grabs. Read and review the update details, back up your files, then tap the option to Download and Install new update.
Wait until the phone is finished updating iOS and when it’s finished, reboot the system to ensure all new system changes are properly implemented. Doing so will also prevent apps from going rogue following the platform alteration.
Fourth solution: Erase all customized settings and restore system defaults.
If the microphone suddenly failed to work after customizing options or modifying some settings on your iPhone XS Max, then incorrect settings or invalid configuration could be the culprit. To clear this out, resetting all settings and restoring the default options can help. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
Unlike factory reset, this reset will only delete all customized settings on the phone, so you won’t lose any critical information from doing so. That said, no need to create backups beforehand.
Fifth solution: Reset factory defaults or restore your iPhone XS Max in iTunes.
You may have to consider performing a factory reset to erase everything from your iPhone system including more complex errors, bugs, and malware that might have inflicted troubles with the microphone functions, thus preventing it from working. This however should only be considered among the last resorts since it would result to data loss. On the better note, performing this reset also offers a higher chance of obliterating major system errors and corrupted system data. Hence, there’s a better chance at getting your iPhone XS Max back up and running smoothly again. Should you wish to give it a shot, then you may do so but don’t forget to back up all your personal information beforehand. Then follow these steps whenever you’re all set for the reset:
- Tap to open the Settings app from Home.
- Tap on General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Erase all content and settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm fully system reset.
Aside from a factory reset, you can also try restoring iOS through iTunes. This can be deemed among other last-ditch solutions to deal with more complicated system issues and errors that could not be rectified by a factory reset. To get this done, you will need to secure a computer (Windows or Mac) that has the latest iTunes software installed. In case you’ll find the need to perform this workaround, then here’s how it’s done:
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone XR to your computer using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- If prompted to Trust this Computer on your phone, follow the onscreen instructions to proceed.
- Select your iPhone XR when it shows up in iTunes.
- Then, navigate to the Summary section on the left side of the iTunes screen.
- Click the Restore [iPhone name] button to instigate iOS reset.
- If prompted, click the Restore button again to confirm. This will then prompt iTunes to erase your device and then install the latest software version available.
Wait until the entire iOS file download process to finish before disconnecting your iPhone from the computer.
Seek more help
Your iPhone XS Max likely needs service if the microphone is still not working after applying the previous workarounds. In that case, you can take a trip to the nearest Apple Genius bar in your place and ask an authorized iPhone technician to scrutinize your device. If service is needed, then you should contact and inform your device carrier before having your iPhone repair to prevent voiding warranties. You can also ask more help on how to avail for iPhone warranty, either for service or new unit replacement.
- What to do if Siri is not working properly on iPhone XS Max (Siri works intermittently)
- How to fix apps that are constantly crashing on your Apple iPhone XS Max [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix GPS that is not working, location bug on your Apple iPhone XS Max [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XS Max touchscreen that’s responding very slowly, delayed touchscreen response problem [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS Max smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS Max. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- First solution: Reboot your iPhone XS Max.
- Second solution: Turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone XS Max .
- Third solution: Update iOS to the latest version available.
- Fourth solution: Erase all customized settings and restore system defaults.
- Fifth solution: Reset factory defaults or restore your iPhone XS Max in iTunes.
- Seek more help
- Connect with us