Apple never seizes to render more advanced mobile features and services to people through their flagship iOS devices. Since the iOS 8 rollout, you can see a lot of new powerful features and functionalities embedded into each and every iPhone and iPad. And since then, things get even smarter and better with Apple’s iOS device lineups.
One of these significant features is iBooks, available on Apple devices including the latest iPhone X handset. If you are a typical bookish person, then this feature would suit you. With iBooks on your iPhone X, you can procure and download books, manage your purchases, organize your library, find audiobooks on your iPhone, and more. And if you want, you can send iBooks as gifts to someone through email.
How to download and buy books from iBooks Store with your iPhone X iBooks app?
An Apple ID is required to download and purchase books from the iBooks Store. You will need to use your Apple ID to sign in to iBooks Store in order to read PDFs and ePub documents available on your apps. Here’s how to download and buy books from the iBooks Store:
- To get started, open the iBooks app.
- Then browse books in the Featured or Top Charts tabs or search for a specific book title in the Search tab.
- Tap any book to view more information about it. You can also read reviews, see related titles or tap Sample on the right side of the screen to view available sample pages.
- When you’re decided to make a book purchase, tap the price on the side of the screen.
- Then tap Buy.
- If you want to get a free book, tap Get on the right side of the screen then tap Get Book.
- Tap Purchased on the bottom of the screen, to find a book that you’ve bought in the past or get the latest version of a book you already have.
You may also opt to use Touch ID or Face ID to make book purchases and downloads. If you select any of these options, you won’t be able to see Buy or Get Book.
How to read and listen to audiobooks with your iPhone X iBooks app?
Aside from reading books, you can also play and listen to audiobooks on your iPhone X iBooks app. You can read and listen to audiobooks that you purchased from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and also those that you imported from others sources. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the iBooks app.
- Tap My Books.
- Then tap a book cover to start reading or listening.
When you stop reading or listening to books/audiobooks, iBooks will automatically recall where you stopped. So the next time you return to your book or audiobook, it will start right to where you stopped. You can also set iBooks to remember where you left off on your other devices.
- To do so, go to Settings-> iBooks-> then turn on or enable the option to Sync Bookmarks and Notes on your iPhone X.
How to organize your iBooks library on iPhone X?
Your iBooks library contains books, audiobooks, and PDF documents you saved to iBooks app. It can also be used as storage for your proposals, project plans, user guides and other documents for quick and easy access. Books that you have in iCloud but not downloaded to your iPhone will automatically show up in your library. You may opt to hide these books if you want though. To organize your books into groups, you can use custom collections on your iPhone X. Here’s how:
- Open iBooks.
- Tap All Books or the File menu at the top of the screen.
- Then tap on New Collection.
To reorganise the items in a collection on your iPhone X, simply tap and hold the book that you want to move and then drag it towards its now location.
To automatically sync your collections with your other Apple devices, you will need to sign in to all of your device using the same Apple ID. Then, go to your iPhone X Settings-> iBooks-> and enable Sync Collections.
Your books can be accessed on all of your Apple devices for as long as you’re signed in to all of them with the same Apple ID. All books that you have purchased from the iBooks Store are automatically available to all of your devices through the iBooks app. The same thing goes with the audiobooks you bought from the iTunes Store or iBooks Store.
To access your imported ePub, iBook Author books, and PDF documents across all of your Apple devices, you will need to use iCloud Drive. For audiobooks that you didn’t buy from the iTunes Store, you can manually sync Audiobooks using iTunes.
How to delete books and audiobooks on your iPhone X iBooks?
All unused or unwanted books and audiobooks should be deleted in order to save up space on your device storage. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open iBooks on your iPhone X.
- Tap Select.
- Scroll to and locate the book or audiobook that you want to delete.
- Tap to select the item.
- Then tap Delete.
- Select the option to Remove Download if you want to delete the item only from your iPhone X.
- Select the option to Delete Everywhere if you want to delete the item from iCloud and automatically remove it from all of your other devices.
Using iBooks with PDF documents on iPhone X
PDF or Portable Document Format files are electronic printed documents that you can view, navigate, print, edit, or forward to someone else. It’s one of the commonly used file types these days. In fact, most printable forms or documents that are downloadable from the web are likely in PDF formats. A .pdf filename extension indicates that the file is a portable document format or PDF. Because of the rising demand and use of PDFs, smartphone manufacturers have it included among the must-have apps supported in their respective flagship devices. And that’s likely the reason why iBooks was offered since the iOS 8 platform until now. So now your next question would probably be on how to use iBooks in managing PDF documents on your iPhone X? If so, then here’s the answer to that question.
How to use iBooks with PDF documents on your iPhone X?
You can use iBooks to view, save, share, sync, and print PDF documents on your iPhone X. In order to sync PDF documents to your computer from iBooks, you’ll need to use iTunes version 10.1 or later. PDF email attachments and other PDF documents from Safari can be viewed on your iPhone X iBooks.
Here’s how to open PDF documents, and PDF email attachments with iBooks:
- Open the email containing the PDF attachment.
- Tap to open the attachment.
- Tap the Share icon.
- Tap the option to Copy to iBooks. Doing so will open the attachment in iBooks.
If you use iBooks to open a PDF file, the app will automatically save a duplicate file or copy of the PDF to your iBooks PDF shelf/library. The next time you sync your iPhone X with a computer, your PDF saves to either iBooks or iTunes library. For OS X Mavericks or later computers, your PDF syncs to your iBooks Library. For OS X Mountain Lion and earlier and Windows PCs, the PDFs will sync to your iTunes Book Library.
How to sync and save PDFs on your iPhone X?
Here’s how to sync and save PDF documents from your computer to iBooks on your iPhone X:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer then open iTunes.
- Select your iPhone X or the iPhone icon when it appears in iTunes.
- Navigate to the Settings menu then click Books.
- Select the option to Sync Books.
- If iTunes is configured to sync only selected books, ensure that the checkbox next to the PDF you want to sync is checked or marked.
- Click Sync to begin syncing.
You can also use iTunes to backup and transfer your PDF documents to your computer.
How to email or print PDFs or notes in iBooks on your iPhone X?
If necessary, you can use iBooks app on your iPhone X to print a PDF document. Here’s how:
- Open iBooks on your iPhone X.
- Tap the menu at the upper part of the screen.
- If prompted with a pop-up menu, select PDFs from the given options.
- Tap to select the PDF document that you want to print or email.
- Tap the Share icon in the top of the menu bar. If you don’t see the menu, tap once everywhere on the screen to show it.
- Tap the option to Print or Email.
- Select Print if you want to print the PDF document, otherwise, select Email to send it to someone through email.
To print a PDF on your iPhone X, select an AirPrint printer, specify page range, and number or copies and then tap Print.
Hint: AirPrint is an Apple-patented technology that is used to create full-quality printed output from your iOS device or Mac computer without having to download or install drivers or software. It’s a built-in feature in most popular printer models todate.
To email a PDF on your iPhone X, enter the email address (recipient), add a message to the body if you want, then tap Send.
How to send iBooks as a gift through email on your iPhone X?
Thinking about sending iTunes or iBooks gifts to your loved ones? All you need is to secure a latest version of iTunes on your Mac or Windows computer, and your iPhone on the latest iOS version. You can send gift money as music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, audiobooks, and store credit. Store credit is any amount of money that the recipient can use to buy apps or other items in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. The recipient of your gift must have an Apple ID in the same region or country as yours. The payment method that you have set on file for your Apple ID will be used in the purchase. If you haven’t yet set up a payment method on your iPhone X, then you should do so in order to start sending store credits. Please note though that iTunes Gifts is not supported in other regions and countries.
Once you have everything set, follow these steps to start sending a gift amount or item to someone:
- Open the App Store app on your iPhone X.
- Tap Today.
- Then tap your photo or profile icon located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- Tap the option to Send Gift Card by Email. You can also choose an app or another item as gift to send.
- Enter the email address of your recipient.
- If you want, you can add a message.
- Tap to select the amount that you want to send as gift (store credit) or tap Other to enter a different amount.
- By default, the gift is sent immediately after you buy it. If you don’t want it that way, then you can set a schedule for the gift to be sent later. To do so, tap Today then set your preferred data for the gift to send.
- Navigate to the upper-right corner then tap Next.
- Choose a theme for your gift then tap Next.
- Tap Buy.
- Then tap Buy Now to confirm purchase.
How to resend and redeem an iTunes Gift?
If you’ve sent the gift and the recipient doesn’t get an email, you can resend your iTunes Gift from your iPhone X. Here’s how:
- Navigate to Settings-> [your name]-> iTunes & App Store.
- Tap your Apple ID on the upper part of the screen.
- Then tap View Apple ID. If prompted, authenticate your Apple ID with the correct password.
- Tap Gifts to continue.
- Tap to select the gift that you want resend.
- Before you resend the gift, verify and ensure that the recipient’s email address is correct or valid. To change or edit the recipient’s email address, tap on their email address on the Gift detail screen and double-check the spelling.
- Then tap Resend Gift.
If you don’t see an option to Resend Gift, it means that the recipient has already redeemed the gift you’ve sent.
In the case where you are the recipient or when someone sends you a gift, you will see an email notification regarding it. To redeem the gift, tap or click the Redeem option in the email to open and download the item. If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID to proceed.
And that covers everything in this guide. Check out our iPhone X Troubleshooting Page and Tutorials section to view more comprehensive walkthroughs and troubleshooting guides.
- How to download and buy books from iBooks Store with your iPhone X iBooks app?
- How to read and listen to audiobooks with your iPhone X iBooks app?
- How to organize your iBooks library on iPhone X?
- How to delete books and audiobooks on your iPhone X iBooks?
- Using iBooks with PDF documents on iPhone X
- How to use iBooks with PDF documents on your iPhone X?
- How to sync and save PDFs on your iPhone X?
- How to email or print PDFs or notes in iBooks on your iPhone X?
- How to send iBooks as a gift through email on your iPhone X?
- How to resend and redeem an iTunes Gift?