An iPhone that often gets stuck or frozen is usually going through a major system problem. It could be due to a system app that’s corrupted and glitching, bugs and malware, and system crashes. These symptoms are regarded among other major iOS issues that require more advanced troubleshooting methods. While most of these advanced methods would cause data loss, they also offer you a higher chance of acquiring ultimate solutions.
The methods outlined in this post are used to deal with one of the dreaded major problems affecting early and new iOS devices. And it’s about an iPhone that’s stuck and couldn’t get past the Apple logo. You can refer to these walkthroughs whenever you need more help in dealing with the same issue on your new iPhone XS device. Read further for further info.
But before anything else, if you have another issue with your phone, drop by our troubleshooting page as we have already addressed hundreds of issues reported by the owners. Odds are that there are already existing solutions on our website or at least, there are similar problems we already fixed. So, try to find ones that are similar or related to your problem. If you need further assistance, however, feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
First solution: Force restart your iPhone XS.
A force restart is an alternative process to restart/soft reset a frozen iPhone. Similar to a soft reset, it effectively clears out different types of software problems on the phone including bug-inflicted symptoms. And just like a soft reset, you won’t lose any personal information from doing a force restart for as long as you do it right. For starters, here’s how to force restart an iPhone XS that’s stuck on the Apple logo or other screen:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
If your iPhone is able to get past the Apple logo and access the Home screen from a force restart, install pending app updates or update phone to the latest iOS version. This should help clear out major system errors inflicted by corrupted applications, software bugs and malware.
To manually check for and install pending app updates on your iPhone XS, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Navigate to the Updates section. A list of apps with pending updates will then pop up.
- Tap the Update button next to the name of the application, to install individual app updates.
- If multiple app updates are available, tap the Update All button on the upper right side of the screen to update all apps simultaneously.
To check for, download and install new iOS update on your iPhone XS, refer to these steps:
- Tap Settings from Home.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update.
Read and review the update notification then back up all critical files you saved on the phone memory. Then follow the rest of the given instructions to update your iPhone software to the latest version.
Second solution: Factory reset your iPhone XS through iTunes (master reset).
A factory reset wipes everything from the phone and then restores the factory settings. This is usually needed when dealing with software-related symptoms that could not be remedied by basic workarounds. Be sure to keep a copy of your important files then follow these steps to factory reset your frozen iPhone XS and restore factory defaults through iTunes:
- Plug in your iPhone XS to your computer’s USB port using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- Then open iTunes on your computer. Make sure you’re using the latest iTunes version.
- When your iPhone XS is recognized in iTunes, click your iPhone XS con on the left side of iTunes menu.
- Next, click the Restore button. You may choose to Back Up your important files from the iPhone to your computer drive.
- If prompted with iTunes to Restore the iPhone and wipe all data and settings, click the Restore button to confirm.
- Wait for iTunes to erase your settings and contents then download and restore the software for your iPhone.
- Select the option to Set Up as a New iPhone then follow the initial setup wizard to complete the process.
Keep your iPhone connected until the entire process is complete.
Third solution: Restore your iPhone XS in Recovery Mode.
A recovery mode restore is considered the next option if a factory reset failed to fix system issues on the phone. The problem is likely more complex that it requires more advanced procedures to get fixed. To get started with a recovery mode restore, connect your iPhone XS to your computer via USB/Lightning cable and then open iTunes. When connected, force restart your iPhone and enter recovery mode with these steps:
- Quick press then release the Volume Up button.
- Quick press then release the Volume Down button.
- Then press and hold the Side/Power button until the Connect to iTunes screen is displayed. Do not release the button when you see the Apple logo because you need to put your phone in a recovery state.
- Once in recovery mode, iTunes will prompt a message saying that your iPhone is recognized in recovery mode and then asks you to Update or Restore. Select the Restore option to wipe out all existing data from your phone and then install the latest iOS version.
- Otherwise, choose Update to prompt iTunes to reinstall iOS without erasing data on your phone.
If the recovery mode restore is successful, you may continue to set up your iPhone XS as new through iTunes. Else, exit recovery mode and then try performing the next method.
Fourth solution: Restore your iPhone XS in DFU (Device Firmware Update) Mode.
This can be deemed as the last-ditch solution if all else failed to fix your iPhone that’s stuck on the Apple logo. It puts your phone in a state that is still able to communicate with iTunes without activating the boot loader. Like a factory reset and recovery mode restore, a DFU mode restore also deletes personal information. If you wish to proceed then simply follow these steps:
- Quick press the Volume Up button.
- Then quick press the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the screen turns black.
- Let go of the Side/Power button once the screen goes black then quickly press and hold both the Side button and Volume Down button simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, let go of the Side button but continue to hold down the Volume Down button.
- Keep holding down the Volume Down button for at least 5 seconds.
- If your computer shows a recovery prompt in iTunes, release the Volume Down button on your iPhone XS. You should then see the phone screen turns black. This means you’ve successfully entered DFU mode. You can now start restoring your iPhone in iTunes.
If you see any logo or Connect to iTunes on your iPhone screen after performing the last step, it means that your phone hasn’t entered DFU mode and therefore you need to start all over.
To exit DFU mode, simply force restart your iPhone XS.
Aside from iTunes, there are also other third-party iOS repair solutions you can try on. These tools usually come in two versions for Windows and Mac computers. If you wish to take a chance in these alternative solutions, search for the top-rated and most credible software, then download and install it on your computer. Make sure iOS 12 devices are supported, otherwise it won’t work with your iPhone XS. Once you have the iOS repair tool installed, connect your iPhone XS to the computer, launch the iOS software on your computer, then follow the onscreen commands to repair your iPhone software.
Service is usually needed if your iPhone XS remains stuck on the Apple logo after exhausting all prior solutions. Your device may have obtained some sort of physical or liquid damage from previous incidents of dropping or liquid exposure and therefore needs some hardware repair. In that case, set an appointment to take your device to the nearest Apple Genius bar for thorough hardware assessments and/or repair, if needed. Be sure to avail for service warranty then.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.