The iOS 11 platform offers a lot of more improved features and functions. It has brought new changes to many stock applications like the built-in keyboards in every app on the iPhone 8 Plus. With the new iOS, you can switch between keyboards, select one-hand typing, and more. However, some people don’t have the same positive experience after implementing the new iOS update on the iPhone 8 Plus. It turned out that the Keyboard suddenly becomes erratic like displaying boxes instead of letters, lags more often, or not working at all. Why and how these things happened and what should be done in order to resolve the underlying cause? Keep reading to find out the answers to these questions.
Drop by our iPhone 8 Plus troubleshooting page if you have other issues with your phone as we’ve already addressed the most common problems. If you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
What causes the iPhone 8 Plus keyboard to have delayed response, lag, freeze, or not load up properly?
Often times, problems like these are due to random apps glitches. It can happen when you make some incorrect changes to your iPhone’s keyboard settings, installing new update for the keyboard app or iOS, when using the phone while charging, or after having a screen replacement. Majority of the reported cases are software-related, which therefore denotes that end-users can do something to fix the problem on their end. If you are facing a similar issue with the keyboard app on your iPhone 8 Plus and you want to perform some troubleshooting, then you may refer to the given solutions below.
To get started, try to determine which from among the possible causes has triggered your iPhone 8 Plus keyboard to become rogue and erratic, and then work on the fix.
For as long as there is no hardware damage on your iPhone, any of these methods should work and be able to solve the underlying cause.
- Possible solutions and workarounds to deal with keyboard issues on your iPhone 8 Plus
Possible solutions and workarounds to deal with keyboard issues on your iPhone 8 Plus
Highlighted below are generic solutions and workarounds you can try to fix your iPhone keyboard. Be sure to test your device after completing each method so that you’ll know if the problem has been resolved otherwise, proceed to the next applicable solutions.
Forced quit apps running in the background
Some apps that are left running in the background can crash at some point and when this happens they may cause conflict when using other apps on your iPhone. These apps are not open but they are in standby mode. While this may be necessary especially if you want to multitask and want to navigate through apps quickly, sometimes keeping multiple apps in the background can cause other apps to glitch.
Here’s how to force an app to quit or close on your iPhone 8 Plus:
- Double-click the Home button to view your most recently used apps.
- Swipe up on the app’s preview to close the app.
After closing all the background apps, restart your iPhone then open the app to keyboard app to see if it’s now working as expected.
Restart/force restart your iPhone 8 Plus
A restart or forced restart is often needed to fix minor glitches transpiring in an app or halting the app’s functions. The process will not affect any of your iPhone data. All it does is to refresh the app and eliminate random glitches that make the app unstable.
- To restart your iPhone 8 Plus, press and hold the Power or Side button until the Slide to Power Off screen appears. Drag the slider to Power Off your iPhone. After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side button again until the Apple logo appears.
Wait until the iPhone boots up completely then try using the keyboard app again.
For unresponsive apps or iPhone display, you can do a forced restart instead. Similar to the standard restart, a force restart rectifies minor apps glitches that randomly occur and caused conflicts.
- To force your iPhone 8 Plus to restart, press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
When the reboot is complete, test your device and see if the keyboard is already working properly.
Check for updates and install (if necessary)
If you haven’t already, try to check for available updates for your app or iOS then have it installed. Some apps may fail to work or stop working as intended due to some bugs or corrupted segments that need to be fixed or updated.
- To check for app updates for your iPhone apps, go to the App Store on your iPhone 8 Plus then tap Updates.
If an update is available for your keyboard app, tap Update, enter your Apple ID and password, then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update installation. You may need a Wi-Fi connection to update some apps so make sure your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- To check for available updates for your iPhone 8 Plus, head over to Settings-> General-> Software Update.
- If a message prompt says that an update is available, backup your iPhone data then continue to Download and Install iOS update on your iPhone.
To install the update wirelessly (OTA), you will need to connect your iPhone to the Internet through Wi-Fi.
If you cannot update wirelessly on your iPhone 8 Plus, you can update manually through iTunes instead. You will need to use a computer that is connected to the Internet in order to carry out these steps:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using the supplied USB connector.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Wait for iTunes to recognize your iPhone.
- Click Summary, then click Check for Update.
- If an update is available, click Download and Update.
- Enter your passcode if prompted.
- Wait for iTunes to download and complete the update installation on your iPhone.
Reboot your iPhone 8 Plus then test to see if the keyboard is already working properly as intended.
Delete and reinstall the app (if applicable)
If you are using a third-party app keyboard and it’s still acting weird, try to remove and reinstall the app on your iPhone 8 Plus. It’s possible that the app might have crashed totally and could no longer be remedied. So your only option to keep it back up and running as expected is to give it a fresh start by deleting and reinstalling it. To delete an app from your iPhone 8 Plus, follow these steps:
- Lightly touch and hold the app until it jiggles.
- Tap the X icon in the upper-left corner of the app.
- Then tap Delete to confirm. Doing so will remove or uninstall the app from your iPhone.
- Restart your iPhone then reinstall the app.
Test to see if that has fixed the problem.
Reset your iPhone 8 Plus (Factory Reset)
If all else failed to fix the problem and that your iPhone 8 Plus keyboard is still erratic after trying every possible solutions and workarounds available, then it’s time to implement a tougher solution. Should the problem is triggered by some tough bugs, then a complete reset on the iPhone can usually deal with it. However, doing so will likewise remove your personal information and critical data that are stored on your device. But on the positive note, it will give your iPhone a clean fresh start. Should you wish to proceed, back up your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes, then follow these steps to perform a factory reset through your iPhone settings:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select the option to Erase All Content and Settings. Selecting this option will wipe out all your iPhone data and restore your iPhone to its factory defaults.
- If prompted, enter the device password then confirm selection.
Note: Other applicable reset options for you to consider before performing a master reset are Reset All Settings and Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
If you can’t reset your device through Settings because it is unresponsive, you can use iTunes instead. In this case, you will need to secure a computer with the latest OS and iTunes software installed. Then, connect your iPhone to the computer using the supplied USB connector or Lightning cable. Wait for iTunes to recognize your iPhone then follow the onscreen instructions to factory reset your iPhone 8 Plus in iTunes.
After the reset, set up your iPhone then try to see if the keyboard app is already working properly.
Seek more help
If the problem persists, then you may contact the app developer (if you’re using a third-party keyboard app) for further assistance. Otherwise, call Apple Support to escalate the problem and get some more recommendations. The latter option might be necessary if the problem occurs after an iOS update installation. Letting Apple know about it can help then tag keyboard problem among other post-update issues that need to be addressed in the next update rollout.
Connect with Us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.