Software updates are a way of keeping a device performing at its best. Updates also embed security enhancements and fix patches to clear any malware and software bugs that might have caused application and system errors. But updates themselves can also cause problems to a receiving device. In fact, various types of post-update issues have emerged online.
Tackled in this post is a post-update issue caused by the latest update to iOS — version 11.4.1 on the iPhone 7 Plus. It’s about Whatsapp that suddenly won’t load properly or keeps crashing after installing the new iOS update on the iPhone. Read on to find out what possible solutions to try on if you’ll get to encounter the same post-update issue on the same iPhone.\
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you are looking for a solution to a different issue, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed some of the most common problems reported by our readers. Find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If you still need our help after that, then feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to troubleshoot iPhone 7 Plus with Whatsapp that’s working properly
Before you troubleshooting, check your Wi-Fi internet connection and make sure it’s strong and stable. Whatsapp is an Internet-based app and so for it to work, your device must be connected to the Internet. If your device experiencing any sort of network connectivity issues at the moment, then that must be the problem and you’ll have to deal with the first. If the problem persists with your iPhone having a stable connection to the Internet, then go ahead and troubleshoot any software errors on your iPhone 7 Plus.
First solution: Clear Whatsapp and background apps.
When a new software update is installed, some apps tend to act up as they’re not all set for the new changes. Among the apps that first to experience adverse symptoms from recent platform changes are those that are running in the background. If you’ve been using Whatsapp and hadn’t closed the app when updating iOS, then there’s a chance that cached files for Whatsapp or the app itself had crashed and is therefore glitching. As resolution, clearing Whatsapp or any other background apps for that matter is recommended. Here’s how:
- Press the Home button twice quickly to launch the app switcher, containing previews of the apps you’ve recently used but not closed.
- Swipe up on the Whatsapp preview to clear it.
- To clear other background apps, simply swipe up on each of the remaining app previews.
Once you’re done clearing all background apps, launch Whatsapp again and see if it is already loading and working properly. If not, then continue to troubleshoot.
Second solution: Restart/soft reset your iPhone 7 Plus.
When you do a soft reset or restart your device, cache and temporary files are cleared. Minor software errors inflicted by corrupted cached files are likewise cleared in the process. It’s by far deemed the simplest effective solution to minor software glitches affecting various types of mobile devices. This doesn’t affect any data saved on the internal memory of the device, therefore won’t result to data loss. Here’s how a soft reset is done on an iPhone 7 Plus:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Then drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone completely.
- After 30 seconds, press the Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Let your device finish restarting. Then launch Whatsapp to see if the problem is fixed or not.
Third solution: Update Whatsapp and other apps.
Some apps may have to be updated after installing a new version of iOS. Doing so will ensure that the apps remain compatible and able to work smoothly with the new platform. Updates also offer bug fixes to clear any bug that might had caused the app to act up after the system change. To check for any pending app update, head over to the App Store with these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates then shows up on the screen.
- Find Whatsapp from the list then tap the Update button next to it. Doing so will install pending update for Whatsapp.
- If you see multiple app updates, then you can update all apps simultaneously instead. Just tap the Update All button on the upper right of the screen.
Wait until all apps are finished updating then restart your iPhone to apply the new changes. As soon as your iPhone is finished restarting, open Whatsapp again and see if it is already working properly. If it still crashes or doesn’t load, proceed to the next solution.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone 7 Plus.
A network settings reset may help if the problem is attributed to a network error on the iPhone. The new update to iOS might have caused the iPhone’s network functions to become corrupted. To clear this out, reset network settings on your iPhone to restore the defaults and so you can configure your network properly again. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset network settings from the given options.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap to confirm settings reset.
Your iPhone will restart by itself when the reset is finished. After the restart, you will need to set up and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network to use the Internet again. Once your device is connected, launch Whatsapp and test if it’s already working.
Fifth solution: Uninstall Whatsapp then install the latest version of the app.
Among the last options to consider if the problem continues after exhausting all prior methods is app deletion. The application itself might have been totally corrupted following the iOS update and is therefore unable to work properly. Should that be the case, the errant app must be deleted so you can install the latest and working version of the application. So here’s what you should do then:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to wiggle, tap the X on the corner of the Whatsapp icon to uninstall the app.
- If prompted, confirm action by tapping Delete.
- After deleting the app, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store to search for, download, and install Whatsapp on your device.
Restart your iPhone 7 Plus when the Whatsapp app is successfully deleted. Then download the latest version of the app that’s compatible with the current iOS version of your device. Here’s how to download and install Whatsapp from the App Store:
- Open the App Store.
- While on the App Store main screen, tap the Search icon (magnifying glass).
- Navigate to the Search tab and then type Whatsapp for iPhone or Whatsapp in the search bar.
- Find and select the Whatsapp app from the search results.
- To download the app, tap Get and Install. You may need to enter your Apple ID password to authorize and confirm app download and installation.
- Reboot your iPhone after the app is finished installing. Doing so will clear and refresh the internal memory and iOS too.
The app should be working properly by now for as long as it is successfully installed. To find out if it works as intended, launch the recently installed Whatsapp on your iPhone 7 Plus and see if it’s already loading and working properly this time.
Seek more help
Report the issue to Whatsapp Support for other options and official recommendations on what to do next if the problem persists, and the app is still not loading properly or keeps crashing on your iPhone 7 Plus. The may be some advanced settings in the application to configure for the application to work smoothly with the recently installed iOS version. You can also contact Apple Support to escalate the problem so that they can make necessary assessments. If proven to be inflicted by an iOS bug, then a fix patch would be necessary.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone 7 Plus smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7 Plus. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus issue on rapid draining of battery life after updating iOS? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus that is not responding or gets stuck after installing iOS version 11.4 update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus that cannot connect to or pair with other Bluetooth devices? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix YouTube app that keeps crashing, stops working on iPhone 7 Plus following an iOS update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Camera app that is not working or prompting errors on Apple iPhone 7 Plus [Troubleshooting Guide]