Apps are often the first to get affected by a faulty update. Common symptoms are loading errors, sudden freezes and app crashes. Any of these symptoms can occur on either built-in or third-party applications. Tackled in this context is a relevant issues affecting YouTube app on an iPhone 7 Plus. While this may not be a big deal to some, other people particularly “YouTubers” would definitely consider it an issue. Should you need more inputs on how to resolve the same issue on your iPhone 7 Plus, I’ve also mapped out some helpful workarounds and possible solutions you may refer to. Read on for more details.
Before going further, if you found this post because you were trying to find a solution to your problem, then try to visit our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed most of the commonly reported issues with the phone. We’ve already provided solutions to some of the problems reported by our readers so try to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you and if you need further assistance, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit.
How to troubleshoot iPhone 7 Plus with Youtube that keeps crashing
Before you troubleshoot the app, check and ensure that your iPhone has stable Internet access. Online apps like YouTube require Internet connection that’s not just fast but also stable for them to work properly. If your device is experiencing Internet drops or other network-related issues, then you should deal with that problem first as it could be the underlying cause. Otherwise, troubleshoot the app and iOS with these walkthroughs.
First solution: Force close YouTube and background apps.
Apps might have been corrupted after implementing the new platform. This usually happens if some temporary app data or cache files were ruined by the update. As a result, the app is no longer able to carry out its usual routine and therefore crashes. Should the error is minor, clearing or forcing the errant app to close will likely fix it. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press the Home button twice quickly. Doing so will show up a list of recently used apps. These apps aren’t closed and so, they’re still running in the background.
- Find the YouTube app from the app’s preview and then swipe up on it.
If you see other apps running in the background, then force close them all as well to prevent any of them from causing conflict with YouTube app.
Don’t forget to run or open YouTube app afterwards to see if it’s already working properly. If the problem persists, continue to the next applicable solution.
Second solution: Soft reset/Restart your iPhone.
A simple restart can do a lot of good things when it comes to dealing with minor issues and glitches in mobile devices. If the prior workaround doesn’t work, then restart or soft reset your iPhone 7 Plus. Doing so clears the memory and operating system from minor errors that might have caused the YouTube app to glitch. Here’s what you should do then:
- Press the Power button until the Slide to Power Off command appears. Drag the slider to the right to turn off your iPhone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button to turn it back on.
Meanwhile, if your iPhone screen becomes unresponsive as YouTube crashes, a force restart would be necessary. It’s a simulated battery removal procedure that works similar as the usual reboot or soft reset does on your iPhone, without affecting any saved data and personal information.
- To force restart your iPhone 7 Plus, simply press and hold both the Power and Volume Down buttons for about 10 to 20 seconds.
- Release both buttons when the Apple logo appears.
Allow your device to finish booting up and then launch YouTube app again and see how it works. If it’s still acting up, then you need to try other options.
Third solution: Install pending app updates.
A problem with an app can also be due to a problem with other apps. This is possible given the fact that your iPhone is a system that comprised various interrelated components and applications. Should any of these apps gets ruined by an update bug, there’s a tendency that other apps’ operations are affected. Apps glitches are usually addressed by certain updates. App developers typically rollout updates for their apps whenever a new iOS version is released. This is to keep their apps compatible and still working smoothly with the new platform. Unless you’ve set your device to auto-install updates, you would need to manually install pending updates for your apps including YouTube. Here’s how:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen. Doing so will route you to the App Store main screen.
- Navigate to the bottom right of the screen and then tap the Updates icon. A new screen containing a list of apps with pending updates will then show up.
- Find YouTube from the list then tap the Update button next to it.
- If you don’t find YouTube and see other apps with pending updates, tap the Update All button instead. Doing so will update all apps simultaneously.
Restart your iPhone after installing all app updates to ensure that new app changes are properly implemented. Afterwards, launch YouTube and see how it works.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone.
Resetting your iPhone settings can also be the key to fixing the problem especially if it has something to do with invalid settings on your phone system. This reset won’t affect any data you’ve saved on the internal memory of your device, hence won’t result to data loss. Should you wish to try it, then here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset all settings from the given options. System settings on your iPhone will be deleted and restored to their original values.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm action.
Let your iPhone finish resetting all settings and then restores the defaults. To apply the recent changes and to refresh the memory and operating system, manually trigger your iPhone to reboot or soft reset.
After the reboot, you will need to reconfigure your device, set your preferences, and enable necessary features including Wi-Fi. Connect to the Internet then open YouTube again to see if it’s already working properly.
Fifth solution: Delete then reinstall YouTube on your iPhone.
The last possible solution you can try on your end if all prior methods failed is to uninstall and reinstall YouTube app on your device. The app itself might have been completely corrupted and therefore is no longer working. To use the app again, you’ll need to reinstall it. But you have to delete it first. Here’s how:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When you see the icons start to wiggle, tap X on the corner of the YouTube app.
- If prompted with a message, tap Delete to confirm.
Restart your device then download and install the YouTube app on your iPhone 7 Plus with these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- While on the App Store main screen, tap the Search icon (magnifying glass).
- Navigate to the Search tab and then type YouTube in the search bar.
- Find and select the YouTube app from the search results.
- To download the app, tap Get and Install. You may need to enter your Apple ID password to authorize and confirm app download and installation.
Everything should work properly by now for as long as the app installation was not interrupted or successful. But if that’s not how you end up, then you need to escalate the problem for other options.
Seek more help
For further assistance, you may visit YouTube Help Center or email YouTube Support for other options and recommendations. Be sure to indicate the complete details of the issue you have, like how YouTube app started to act up. If you see any error codes or message, then take note of it so you can relay that to the support team as well. Error codes and messages are often hints to determine what exactly went wrong and what must be done as resolution.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix Apple iPhone 7 Plus poor battery life, drains so fast, other battery issues after iOS 11 update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus notification alert that is not working, showing incorrect notifications after iOS 11 update? [easy steps]
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus that cannot connect to or pair with other Bluetooth devices? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Messenger app that keeps crashing on iPhone 7 Plus after the latest iOS update (easy steps)
- How to fix your iPhone 7 Plus that cannot pair or connect to a Bluetooth device after updating to iOS 11.3 (easy steps)