Several factors can cause random app issues including loading errors, freezes, and crashes. Among the most common culprits are memory problems like insufficient or low internal storage space. This is likely to blame for frequent or recurring symptoms of lags, freezes, crashes, and random app restarts. In some cases, an app can suddenly become rogue due to software bugs and glitches, including faulty updates.
Generally, these problems are related to the software and therefore can be dealt with by some workarounds. Highlighted below are recommended walkthroughs on how to troubleshoot a similar issue on the iPhone 7 Messenger app that keeps crashing, won’t load, or not working stable after installing a new update to iOS. Feel free to refer to these walkthroughs in case you need additional inputs when troubleshooting the same app problem on the same iOS device.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you are looking for a solution to a different issue, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed some of the most common problems reported by our readers. Find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If you still need our help after that, then feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
First solution: Force close app then restart.
Any app can encounter random glitches, minor or complex. Oftentimes, what occurs is a minor glitch, which can easily be remedied by restarting the errant application. Restarting the app clears any minor errors from within the app that’s causing conflict. That said, restarting the Messenger app might be the key to fixing it. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press the Home button twice quickly. Doing so will show up a list of recently used apps. These apps aren’t closed and so, they’re still running in the background.
- Find the Messenger app from the app’s preview and then swipe up on it.
You can also clear the rest of the background apps to prevent any of them from causing conflicts and issues especially when they crash.
Reboot your iPhone afterwards to clear and refresh the internal memory.
Second solution: Restart your Wi-Fi Internet connection.
Messenger is a server-based app, which denotes the need for strong and stable Internet connection to work as intended. If your phone is going through some sort of network connectivity issues, then that’s probably the underlying cause as to why the app is not working properly. Intermittent connectivity or Internet drops might have triggered the app to become unstable. In that case, you will need to deal with Internet problems first. Once you’ve got your Internet working fine and stable, then all online apps including Messenger should be working fine as well.
A recommended simple solution to this is a Wi-Fi restart. This means turning Wi-Fi off on your iPhone for a few seconds and then turn it on again.
- To do so, navigate to Settings-> Wi-Fi menu, and then tap the Wi-Fi switch to turn the feature off. You’ll know if it’s off if the switch appears gray, otherwise it’s green (enabled).
If that won’t work, then you can reboot your wireless router or modem instead. This will refresh the very main source of your Wi-Fi internet at home. After rebooting your router or modem, perform a soft reset on your iPhone 7 to refresh the operating system and the rest of its functions including Wi-Fi. Your device should be connected to the Internet for Messenger app to work.
Third solution: Update Messenger app to the latest version available.
Software updates including update for apps are generally rolled out to keep the system or application optimized and bug-free. Like software updates (iOS), app updates are also released periodically, and can be more often than iOS updates. Robust and widely used applications are constantly monitored and maintained by their developers to become as reliable as possible. Messenger for one is a highly maintained app, given the millions of Facebook users relying on Messenger as their primary messaging platform while on Facebook. If your Messenger app is triggered to crash by some bugs or malware, then updating the app can help.
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen. Doing so will route you to the App Store main screen.
- Navigate to the bottom right of the screen and then tap the Updates icon. A new screen containing a list of apps with pending updates will then show up.
- Find Messenger from the list then tap the Update button next to it.
- If you see multiple applications with pending updates, tap the Update All button instead. Doing so will update all apps simultaneously.
Wait until all app updates are completely installed then restart your iPhone to apply the recent changes and to refresh the system for proper functions.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 7.
An app may also fail to function or load due to invalid settings on the phone. Some software updates would automatically override current device settings. The result can either be good or bad. In this case, there might be some conflicts with the settings and so it turned out to be an adverse outcome. To rule this out, you can reset all settings on your device, and then reconfigure individual options manually and accordingly.
- To reset all settings on your iPhone 7, go to Settings-> General-> Reset menu, then select the option to Reset all settings.
This will erase your current system settings and restore the original or default values. Any incorrect configuration will then be removed. Unlike a factory reset, this won’t affect any data and personal files saved on the internal memory of your iPhone 7. Thus, you won’t lose any critical information.
Fifth solution: Uninstall then reinstall Messenger app on your iPhone 7.
If the Messenger app still won’t load or unstable after performing all prior methods, then it’s possible that the app has become totally corrupted and useless. In that case, your only choice to get the app back up and running properly is to uninstall or delete it from your iPhone. After deleting the errant Messenger app, download and install the latest version of the app from the App Store. Here’s what you should do then:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When you see the icons start to wiggle, tap X on the corner of the Messenger app.
- If prompted with a message, tap Delete to confirm.
Restart your device then download and install the Messenger app on your iPhone 7 with these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- While on the App Store main screen, tap the Search icon (magnifying glass).
- Navigate to the Search tab and then type Messenger in the search bar.
- Find and select the Messenger app from the search results.
- To download the app, tap Get and Install. You may need to enter your Apple ID password to authorize and confirm app download and installation.
Wait until the app is finished installing and when it’s done, reboot your iPhone 7 (soft reset) to ensure that the recent app installation is properly implemented. Everything should work as intended by then unless the problem is inflicted by some serious system issues that needs iOS reset and/or restore.
Seek more help
You can reach out to Facebook Help Center to report the issue and request further assistance in performing more advanced solutions. Messenger is an integrated instant messaging tool of Facebook, so any problem with Messenger should be taken care of by Facebook Support. Just let them know how the problem started and what workarounds you’ve done on your end, by far. If you’re seeing any error messages or codes, relay that information to them so they can use that as additional hints in tracing the root cause and finding the ultimate solution. There might be some advanced settings that need to be configured or modified to make the Messenger app blend well and work with the new iOS platform on your iPhone.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- iPhone 7 alarm won’t work when phone is set to vibrate, camera app keeps crashing, other issues
- Apple iPhone 7 Apps Problems: Apps won’t update, stuck on waiting status, slide to update error, random apps crashes [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Solutions to iPhone 7 unable to update apps issue, cannot add email to Yahoo Mail app, other issues
- Apple iPhone 7 stuck on Waiting Status during download, install, or update process [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Facebook app that keeps crashing on iPhone 7? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- First solution: Force close app then restart.
- Second solution: Restart your Wi-Fi Internet connection.
- Third solution: Update Messenger app to the latest version available.
- Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 7.
- Fifth solution: Uninstall then reinstall Messenger app on your iPhone 7.
- Seek more help
- Connect with us