Instagram is among the popular social networking platforms these days. It works almost similar as Facebook and other platforms but varies mainly on algorithm implementations. What’s common is that other people, particularly those whom you are connected to would be able to view, like, comment, save, share, or any other type of interactions a post gets. People who are interested in your posts can choose to follow you or vice versa. All these are among the key factors that made Instagram a widely used app. But just like other popular apps, Instagram also has its own share of flaws.
Emerging among the widespread issues is on the Instagram app that suddenly stops working or crashes more often. Such problem is apparently attributed to the software, hence fixable. And if ever you’d encounter a similar issue on Instagram that keeps crashing on your iPhone 8 Plus, I’ve listed some helpful workarounds you can utilize as reference whenever you need more inputs on how to troubleshoot the problem. Read on and get help.
Now, before anything else, if you have other issues with your phone, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already provided solutions to hundreds of problems reported by our readers. Odds are that we may have already provided a solution to the problem you currently have so try to find issues that are similar with yours on that page and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
- First solution: Clear Instagram and background apps.
- Second solution: Reboot your iPhone 8 Plus (soft reset).
- Third solution: Install app update for Instagram (if available).
- Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus.
- Fifth solution: Delete and then reinstall Instagram on your iPhone 8 Plus.
- Seek more help
- Connect with us
First solution: Clear Instagram and background apps.
Software glitches are often the main reason as to why an app couldn’t get to work as intended. If it just occurred that Instagram acts weird, then the app is probably glitching and therefore needs to a restart. That said, try to clear Instagram and any other background apps on your iPhone 8 Plus with these steps:
- Press the Home button twice quickly. It’s the same as when you double-click a program icon on the computer. You should then see a list of recently used apps on the next screen.
- Locate Instagram from the list and then swipe up on the app to clear it.
If you see any other apps running in the background, then you can also clear them all. Doing so will prevent any of them from causing conflict with Instagram or your other apps. There is a tendency that any of the background apps gets corrupted and should that happens, other apps or the phone system might affected. Just follow the above-mentioned steps to clear the rest of your background apps.
Second solution: Reboot your iPhone 8 Plus (soft reset).
If clearing apps doesn’t help, then you need to restart your iPhone. A device restart or soft reset clears any software glitches transpiring on the phone system and on certain apps. It also clears the internal memory of your device, allowing it to have a clean, fresh start. You won’t lose any critical data and personal information in the process. If you haven’t restarted your phone yet, then do so with these steps:
- Press and hold the Power/Side button for a few seconds.
- When you see the Slide to Power Off menu, release the Power button.
- Then drag the slider to the right. This will trigger your iPhone to shut down.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again and then release when the Apple logo appears.
In the case where your iPhone screen freezes or becomes unresponsive as Instagram crashes, performing a force restart would be an option. It’s a simulated battery removal procedure that works the same as a soft reset or usual restart does without affecting any data stored on the internal memory of the phone. The only difference is on how it’s carried out. For starters, there’s a new way to perform a force restart on the new iPhone 8 Plus. Here’s how:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Wait until your phone finished restarting and then retry launching Instagram to see if the problem is fixed and the app is already working properly.
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that keeps crashing and freezing after updating iOS to the latest version (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that shows liquid has been detected warning after an update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do when your iPhone 8 Plus is not recognized in iTunes on your computer? [Troubleshooting Guide]
Third solution: Install app update for Instagram (if available).
Updates can be the key to fixing errors on your Instagram app. Aside from offering new and enhanced features, updates also contain fix patches to clear any bugs and malware that might have caused the app to go rogue. Unless you’ve configured your iPhone to install updates automatically, you will need to implement app updates manually. Here’s how:
- To get started, tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of your apps with pending updates will then show up on the next screen.
- Tap the Update button next to Instagram to install new update for Instagram.
- If multiple updates for apps are available, tap Update All to update all apps at once.
Reboot your iPhone (soft reset) after installing app updates to ensure that new changes from the recently installed updates are properly applied on your phone system.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus.
Invalid settings on your iPhone can also be the main reason as to why certain apps couldn’t get to carry out its usual tasks. This is likely the case if Instagram started to crash after making changes to your iPhone settings. To rule this out, you can try reverting individual settings back to their previous configuration. Nonetheless, this could take time and effort since you will need to track which options or settings have to be modified. As alternative solution, you can reset all settings on your iPhone instead. Doing so will restore the system settings back to their default or original values but doesn’t affect data saved in the internal memory of your device. Just don’t forget to set up and enable frequently used features and functions on your iPhone. To reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus, follow these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Tap to select Reset all settings from the given options.
- Enter your device passcode, if required.
- Then tap the option to confirm reset settings.
Allow your iPhone to reboot after the settings reset, reconnect to your Wi-Fi Internet and then open and use Instagram as you usually do to test and see how it works this time. If the problem continues, then move on and try the next solution.
Fifth solution: Delete and then reinstall Instagram on your iPhone 8 Plus.
The problem might be more intricate that it persisted after performing all prior workarounds. For example, the Instagram app might have been totally corrupted and therefore no longer able to work properly again. In this case, you will need to delete the app from your iPhone and then reinstall. Here’s how:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When you see the icons start to jiggle, tap the X in the left corner of the Instagram app. Doing so will delete or uninstall the app from your iPhone.
- Tap Delete to confirm action.
Wait until the app is successfully uninstalled and then reboot your iPhone. When it’s fully rebooted, head over to the App Store and then search for the compatible version of Instagram app to download and install on your iPhone 8 Plus. If prompted, enter the correct password for your Apple ID to proceed. More often than not, this should fix the app but if it still failed, then advanced solutions would be necessary.
Seek more help
Instagram Help Center is always open to offer more advanced solutions. Hence, if none of the prior methods worked and Instagram keeps crashing or still not working on your iPhone 8 Plus, then you should already consider escalating the issue to Instagram Support. The app might have been encountering terminal errors from certain bugs and/or malware, making the app unable to operate as intended. You can reach out Instagram Help Center through email or simply visit the Instagram support page online.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Charging Issues: What to do if your iPhone 8 Plus won’t charge or charges very slowly? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Power Issue: What to do when your iPhone 8 Plus won’t turn on? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Netflix that keeps crashing and stops working on an iPhone 8 Plus after installing a new iOS update (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that has no Internet access but connected to Wi-Fi network [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix crackling noise during calls, call failed error, other calling issues on the Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus [Troubleshooting Guide]