Apple’s newest software update, the iOS 11.4 is now up for grabs. The new update brings in new features and system enhancements. Among the notable add-ons include AirPlay 2, Messages in iCloud, and HomePod improvements, to name some. Overall, Apple has done a great job for integrating a number of cool features in this new software. But just like other prior updates to iOS, the latest iOS version also has its own share of flaws. Some iPhone 7 owners have it that the new iOS update had caused certain apps to go rogue.
If by any chance, you’re routed to this page while searching for help in dealing with a similar issue particularly with the Instagram app that keeps crashing or suddenly stops working after updating iOS 11.4, then I’ve got some inputs for you to refer to. Highlighted below are some solutions to a post-update issue on the iPhone 7 Instagram app that’s acting up following the recent iOS platform implement. Feel free to refer to these subsequent walkthroughs when needed.
For owners who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common problems with this device. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance don’t hesitate to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
- How to fix iPhone 7 with Instagram app that keeps on crashing
- First solution: Clear background apps then restart Instagram.
- Second solution: Soft reset/restart your iPhone 7.
- Third solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 7.
- Fourth solution: Install updates for Instagram and other apps.
- Fifth solution: Uninstall Instagram then reinstall.
- Seek more help
- Connect with us
How to fix iPhone 7 with Instagram app that keeps on crashing
Prior to troubleshooting, check and ensure that your iPhone is connected to the Internet and that your Internet connection is stable. Intermittent connection to the Internet is also among the possible reasons as to why online apps like Instagram keep crashing on your device. These apps require Internet to work as intended. If your device is experiencing network problems from slow browsing to on and off connection, or no Internet connection at all, then you need to deal with these problems first. Once you’ve got the network connection fixed, online apps should be up and running smoothly again. Otherwise, continue to troubleshoot the app with these workarounds.
First solution: Clear background apps then restart Instagram.
Background apps can crash or get corrupted after implementing system changes. More often than not, this can be resolved by clearing or force closing background apps, including the errant app that is Instagram. Here’s how:
- Press the Home button twice quickly to launch the app switcher, containing previews of the apps you’ve recently used but not closed.
- Swipe up on the Instagram app preview to clear it.
- Do the same to the rest of background apps.
After clearing Instagram and other background apps, relaunch the app and see if the problem is gone. If it persists, then move on and try the next possible solution.
- Apple iPhone 7 stuck on Waiting Status during download, install, or update process [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 7 Apps Problems: Apps won’t update, stuck on waiting status, slide to update error, random apps crashes [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Solutions to iPhone 7 unable to update apps issue, cannot add email to Yahoo Mail app, other issues
- How to fix an Apple iPhone 7 that won’t play YouTube videos [Troubleshooting Guide]
Second solution: Soft reset/restart your iPhone 7.
If clearing Instagram and background app doesn’t help, then a soft reset or device restart is recommended. This will clear software errors and glitches caused by the new update. It also refreshes the iPhone system to get back to its normal working state. If you haven’t restarted your iPhone yet, then you must do so with these steps:
- Press the Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power Off command appears on the screen.
- Drag the slider to the right to power off your device. Keep it turned off for about 30 seconds.
- After the elapsed time, press and hold the Power button until the Apple logo shows up on the display.
If your iPhone screen gets frozen as Instagram crashes, a force restart would be necessary. It’s an alternative method to a soft reset, a simulated battery removal procedure used to unfreeze and restart a frozen device. Here’s how to force restart an iPhone 7:
Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down button simultaneously for a few seconds and then release when the Apple logo appears.
Allow your device to finish booting up and then launch the Instagram app.
Third solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 7.
Resetting all settings back to defaults or original values can also be the key to fixing the problem if it’s due to invalid settings or conflicting options. The new update might have altered certain options automatically and that has resulted to an error on the Instagram app functions. To rule this out, try to reset all settings on your device and then configure and enable necessary options and features manually and accordingly. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from Home.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings. Doing so will reset the system settings to defaults or original values without deleting any data stored on the internal memory of your iPhone.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your iPhone to continue.
- Then tap to confirm system settings reset.
Your iPhone should restart automatically when the reset is finished. Wait until it’s booted up completely then retry launching Instagram and see how it works.
Fourth solution: Install updates for Instagram and other apps.
Apps may have to be updated too after implementing a new iOS version. Doing so will ensure that apps remain compatible with the current platform. Apps the failed to meet the minimum system requirements will likely fail to load or stop working. Unless you’ve previously configured your device to auto-install updates, you will need to manually check and trigger your device to install pending updates for your apps including Instagram. Here’s what you should do then:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates then shows up on the screen.
- Find Instagram from the list then tap the Update button next to it. Doing so will install pending update for Instagram app.
- If you see multiple app updates, you can update all apps simultaneously instead. Just hit the Update All button on the upper right of the screen.
Once all app updates are successfully installed, reboot your iPhone to apply the new changes properly. Then try to use Instagram and see if the problem is fixed. If the app is still crashing, then you may have to delete it.
Fifth solution: Uninstall Instagram then reinstall.
Deleting or uninstalling errant apps would be necessary if the problem persisted after exhausting all prior means to fix it. It’s possible that the new update has ruined the Instagram app and so it’s no longer working. The only way to get the app back up and running is therefore to delete it and then reinstall the working version of the app on your device. Here’s how:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to wiggle, tap the X on the corner of Instagram app to uninstall it.
- If prompted, confirm action by tapping Delete.
After deleting the app, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store to search for, download, and install Instagram app on your device. Here’s how:
- Tap to open the App Store.
- From the App Store main screen, tap on the Search bar then type Instagram to search for the app.
- Tap to select Instagram app from the search results. Be sure to choose the compatible version of the app for your iPhone 7 and iOS version.
- Then, tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and install the app.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID password to continue.
- Follow the rest of on-screen instructions to complete app download and installation.
Restart or soft reset your iPhone 7 when the app is completely installed. Doing so will ensure everything is properly implemented and likewise to prevent the phone system from acting up.
Seek more help
Contact Instagram Support for other options and further assistance in performing more advanced solutions to fix the app. There might be some advanced settings from with the Instagram app that needs to be modified according to the new iOS platform.
Alternatively, you can report the issue to Apple Support for them to make further assessments and if necessary, develop a fix patch to debug or clear terminal errors that caused Instagram to malfunction or stop working.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- Apple iPhone 7 Sound or Audio Problem: Why is my iPhone 7 not ringing and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 7 Data Transfer Guide: Different Ways to Transfer Files from other device to your iPhone 7
- How to fix delayed touchscreen response issue on the iPhone 7 after iOS 11.3.1 update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Why does my Apple iPhone 7 unable to send but can receive MMS and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Why does an Apple iPhone 7 unable to send or receive text messages (SMS) and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]