Device issues can be minor or complex. Majority if not all minor issues are attributed to software errors and glitches hence they are rectifiable by end-users. Most of these minor issues are triggered faulty apps or buggy files including software updates containing some bugs. One of which is on notification alerts that are still playing on an iPhone 8 Plus even when the device is set to silent. And if you happen to encounter the same issue on the same iPhone variant, this post highlights a few helpful workarounds and generic solutions you can try on. Feel free to refer to this context whenever you’re set to troubleshoot your device.
Before we move any further, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, them drop by our iPhone 8 Plus troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common problems with this device. Odds are that there are already existing solutions to your problem. Try to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and we’ll help you with you problem.
First solution: Restart your iPhone (soft reset).
Device issues like this are often attributed to a software glitch that’s occurring randomly or bug-inflicted. Usually, such issues can be rectified by a device restart. So if you haven’t restarted your device already, do so with these steps:
- Press the Side/Power button until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone completely.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold down the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Restarting your iPhone also refreshes the operating system and clears the internal memory for faster and better performance.
A soft reset or device restart will not affect data, personal information and other contents you have stored on the internal memory of your device. That said, creating a backup won’t be necessary.
Second solution: Toggle the ringer switch off or on.
To make sure that your device is muted, toggle the Ringer switch again. It might have been flipped back to ring mode. The ringer switch is located on the top left edge of the device. You will know if it’s set to Silent if the orange appears. If it’s already set to silent mode, flip the Ringer switch to enable ring mode shortly and then flip to turn silent mode on again.
This trick has done a lot of wonders to many people especially when the phone is glitching. Again, don’t forget to reboot or restart your iPhone afterwards.
Third solution: Configure notification settings.
Yes, your iPhone might have been set to silent mode but is Do Not Disturb feature turned on or enabled? If Do Not Disturb (DND) is turned on, it’s possible that your device is configured to allow notification alerts or sound for certain apps. That said, if your iPhone plays notification sounds only on specific applications and not all, check your notification settings and configure some options. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications.
- Then select the app to view if the option to Allow Notifications for that app is turned on.
You may need to turn it off so as to prevent the app from making notification alert sounds.
Reboot your iPhone once you’re done modifying settings for your recent changes to be properly implemented.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus.
Resetting all settings on your iPhone might be the key to resolving the issue especially if it occurs due to invalid options or settings aren’t properly configured. Installing buggy apps and corrupted files can also yield to a similar issue. Hence, if you notice such unusual behavior after installing new update or apps on your device, then that’s likely the trigger. You can possible resolve it with these steps:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings. This will reset your iPhone settings back to the original or default values.
- Enter your device passcode if necessary.
- Tap the option to confirm reset.
This reset does not affect any data stored on the internal memory of your iPhone so nothing will be deleted. However, you will need to configure some of your iPhone features including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so you can use them again.
Fifth solution: Update iOS to the latest version available.
Bugs or malware contained in one of your apps or downloaded files that caused your iPhone to play notifications even when in silent mode can likely be dealt with by a software update. New updates usually offer security enhancements or bug fixes so you should consider it among your options. To check for new updates available over-the-air (OTA), follow these steps:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Wait until your device is done searching for available software updates. If an update is available, you will be prompted with a notification saying so. Back up your data for safekeeping.
- Then tap Download to begin downloading of the update file. Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi internet.
- Tap Install once the download has finished to install the update.
Alternatively, you can update your iPhone 8 Plus to a computer using iTunes. In order to get started, you will need to connect your device to your computer using the supplied USB connector or Lightning cable. To prevent having issues from system conflicts, make sure your computer is running a later if not the latest operating system and the latest version of iTunes.
Reboot your iPhone once the new update has been successfully installed. Doing so will ensure recent changes are properly implemented and at the same time to refresh your phone’s internal memory.
- Master reset/iOS restore. You may resort to performing a master reset if all else failed to fix the issue. Some tough bugs might have triggered your iPhone 8 Plus to play notifications even when in silent mode. Should that be the case, wiping your iPhone system completely will likely obliterate the culprit. Alternatively, you can restore your iPhone to a previous backup using iTunes. You may opt for a recovery mode restore or DFU mode restore for that matter. Just don’t forget to back up all your critical data and personal information before you proceed, for safekeeping.
- Contact Apple Support. If the issue started after installing a new software (iOS) update and that it persisted after exhausting all applicable workarounds, then you may report the issue to Apple Support so that they can make further assessments and if necessary, develop a fix patch.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Charging Issues: What to do if your iPhone 8 Plus won’t charge or charges very slowly? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that keeps crashing and freezing after updating iOS to the latest version (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that shows liquid has been detected warning after an update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Netflix that keeps crashing and stops working on an iPhone 8 Plus after installing a new iOS update (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that has no Internet access but connected to Wi-Fi network [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Why does my iPhone 8 Plus Keyboard won’t work, display boxes instead of letters and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]