When your iPhone suddenly stops rendering sound or audio outputs, it could mean two possible things. Maybe your phone’s audio system is just glitching thus acting weird or worse, a certain audio component in the motherboard might be damaged. In other words, the problem could be due to a software error or hardware damage. Enumerated below in this context are standard procedures and potential solutions to audio problems including no sound issue affecting the new iPhone 8 Plus handset. This should serve as free reference to anyone who wishes to troubleshoot software problems that might have inflicted no sound issue on the said iOS device. If you’re one of our target audiences then read on and get some input on how to deal with no sound and other audio problems on your new iPhone.
Drop by our iPhone 8 Plus troubleshooting page if you have other issues with your phone as we’ve already addressed the most common problems. If you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
First solution: Flip the ringer switch up or down.
This trick has been proven effective by many iPhone users who have dealt with random no sound problems attributed to software glitches. It helps refresh the iPhone’s audio functions. Make sure the switch is not rested on the Silent mode position though. Here’s what to do then:
- From the top left corner of your iPhone 8 Plus, flip the Ringer switch to turn Silent Mode on. Doing so turns off sounds on your iPhone. You will see the switch is in red/orange position and the silent mode or ringer notification briefly shows up on screen.
- After a few seconds, flip the switch again to set it back to ringer mode.
If the switch appears to be stuck, try to remove any case from your iPhone to ensure that the switch isn’t blocked.
Second solution: Reboot your iPhone 8 Plus.
Random glitches could be affecting the current audio application you’re using so it is possible that the no sound issue is just isolated to an app in use. It can happen and usually happens. And a simple yet very effective solution to this is a soft reset or simple reboot on your iPhone. So here what you should do if this is the first time your iPhone 8 Plus makes no sound:
- Press the Side/Power button for a few seconds until you see the Slide to Power Off screen.
- Drag the slider to turn your iPhone off completely.
- And then after 30 seconds, press Power to turn the iPhone back on.
Alternatively, you can restart your iPhone forcibly (force restart) with these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- And finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Both of these restarts won’t affect any of your iPhone data so expect that everything will stay intact on your phone’s internal memory after the process.
Third solution: Toggle Bluetooth on or off.
Turning Bluetooth on for a few seconds and then off again can also help if your phone refuses to make sound after you disconnect it from a Bluetooth accessory. It’s possible that the phone still thinks that it’s paired or connected to Bluetooth so you need to refresh its memory. Here’s how:
- Tap to open Settings.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Then tap the Bluetooth switch to turn the feature off.
Alternatively, you can swipe your finger up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the Control Center and then tap the Bluetooth icon from the Control Center to enable and disable Bluetooth on your iPhone 8 Plus.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings.
Incorrect settings can also be the underlying cause of the problem. Perhaps a relevant option from your iPhone 8 Plus settings menu have been turned on when it’s not supposed to be on or could be the other way around. A quick resolution in this case is to revert the settings back to its previous configuration before the no sound symptom occurs. And the fastest way to do so is through the Reset all settings command option on your iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset All Settings.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your device.
- Tap Reset All Settings to confirm.
Unlike a factory reset, all settings reset will not affect any of your iPhone data so no need to worry about data loss.
After the reset, your iPhone reboots .Wait until it boots up completely then try to check if sound or audio functions are already working as intended.
Fifth solution: Factory reset (master reset).
The problem you are dealing with might be too complex thus tough enough to withstand any of the prior procedures. In this case, a full system reset would be necessary. However you will be losing all your personal information and other critical data in the process as it will wipe everything out and then restores your iPhone 8 Plus to its factory default settings. Any bugs or software errors that might have prevented the audio system from working will likewise be obliterated in the process thus giving your device an all clean and fresh start. Just follow these steps to do a quick system reset:
- Tap to open Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your device passcode, when asked.
- Then tap to confirm option to erase your iPhone.
Wait for your iPhone to complete the system reset and then reboots. Everything should be working back as intended afterwards. But if the problem persists or your iPhone still has no sound after the reset, then you may be dealing with a hardware issue that requires some physical repair.
You can take your iPhone 8 Plus to a service center and have it diagnosed by an Apple technician for any signs of physical or liquid damage. Your device might have obtained some type of damage to certain audio components thus still unable to make any sound or render audio outputs. In this case, service would be necessary. Don’t forget to avail for warranty if your device is still eligible for one. It will help you save a lot.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that won’t restore or update iOS through iTunes (easy steps)
- What to do when your iPhone 8 Plus is not recognized in iTunes on your computer? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that keeps crashing and freezing after updating iOS to the latest version (easy steps)
- How to fix Apple iPhone 8 Plus that won’t connect to a car Bluetooth or other Bluetooth devices? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 8 Plus that won’t pair or connect with a Bluetooth accessory? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Why does my Apple iPhone 8 Plus won’t send emails through Mail app and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]