The error message “Disconnect lightning accessory. Liquid has been detected in the Lightning connector. To protect your iPhone, disconnect this Lightning accessory and allow the connector to dry.” shows up when your Apple iPhone X, or any iPhone that runs on iOS 10 or later for that matter, detects moisture in the lightning connector. This is one way for iPhone to defeat possible liquid damage because even if it has the IP67 certification, it’s still possible for water to enter the device and mess up the circuits.
The warning, however, doesn’t necessarily mean that the lightning port is the one that’s wet or has a trace of moisture in it. It could other lighting accessories you use. The thing is that when it shows up, you can rest assured that the moisture is still in that area and it’s a good thing Apple did include this feature in its devices because owners can do what’s necessary to prevent further damage that liquid might bring. So, if you’re one of the owners of the iPhone X and are currently experiencing this issue or error, continue reading as this post may be able to help you.
Before we move on, if you have other issues with your iPhone, visit our iPhone X troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most commonly reported issues with the device. Browse through the page to find issues similar with yours. If you still need our assistance after that, then fill up our Android issues questionnaire to contact us.
What to do when your iPhone X shows the “liquid detected” warning
When the error shows up, the most logical thing to do is to follow it. If you have a lightning accessory connected to your iPhone, you should remove it immediately. The error message has to be taken seriously because most probably the phone detected some traces of moisture in the port.
Now, after removing the Lightning accessory, place your phone on a dry surface upright and let it be so for a few hours to dry out the moist. Here are other things you should do or not do…
- Turn your iPhone X off.
- Air dry the Lightning accessory you’ve connected to your iPhone when the warning showed up.
- Do not blow into the port nor shake the phone as that could push the liquid further in.
- Do not attempt to charge your iPhone regardless whether the battery is low or not.
An hour or two is enough to air-dry the moist in your iPhone’s lightning port as well as in the accessory. Try turning on your iPhone X to see if the error still shows up or try to connect the accessory to know if the error is triggered. If it still does show up, then you should probably go to the Apple store and have it checked as there could be something that’s triggering the error.
Considering Apple is very strict when it comes to warranty, you cannot experiment on your device let alone attempt to open it in any way. That’s the reason why you need an Apple technician to help you figure out what the problem really is.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone X smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- What to do when your Apple iPhone X won’t turn on? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do when your Apple iPhone X won’t charge or charging very slow? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- iPhone X won’t turn back on after accidental drop, gets stuck in Apple logo screen, other issues
- Why does my iPhone X heating up so fast, overheating? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone X that is overheating after installing a new firmware update (easy steps)
- What you can do if iPhone X screen is not responding [troubleshooting guide]
- How to fix Apple iPhone X that cannot receive emails through Mail app? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Why does your iPhone X won’t connect to Wi-Fi and how to fix it (easy steps)
- iPhone X unable to connect to wifi after an update [troubleshooting guide]
- What to do when you cannot set up email on your Apple iPhone X (easy steps)
- Why does my iPhone X unable to connect to Wi-Fi, no Internet access and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]