One of the common concerns people have when or before making a switch from one smart device to another is on data migration or how to transfer data from the previous device to the new device. Just like when making a switch from an Android device to an iPhone. Of course, you just couldn’t get to discard all your significant data saved on your Android since you’ll be using your new iPhone now. Thankfully, data transfer tools are now made available thus making file transfers between Android and iOS devices simple and faster.
This post will walk you through the entire process of moving critical data from your Android device including contacts, photos, calendars and accounts to your new iPhone X. If you just made a switch or thinking of making a switch from an Android to iOS device particularly Apple’s new iPhone X handset, this post will help you get started. Read on to learn more about Android file migration to iOS platform.
You can transfer data from your Android device to your iPhone X wirelessly (automatic) and manually.
Wireless data transfer: Moving your data from Android to iPhone X with Move to iOS app
Introducing Apple’s first Android app, dubbed as Move to iOS. This app is specifically designed to help you connect your old Android and new iOS device together over a direct Wi-Fi connection and then transfers over all your data. However there are some limits that you’ll have to note. Move to iOS app cannot transfer music, your passwords and your Android apps because they are not compatible. That being said, you’ll need to find some other ways to get this information transferred from your Android device to your new iPhone X.
Here’s how to use Move to iOS in moving Android data to your iPhone X:
- Set up your iPhone X until you reach the Apps & Data screen.
- Scroll down then tap the option to Move Data from Android.
- Now, go to your Android device then open Google Play Store.
- Search for Move to iOS app on Google Play Store.
- Open the Move to iOS app listing.
- To proceed with the app download and installation, tap Install.
- Tap to accept the terms and permissions request.
- After the app is installed, tap Open.
- Tap Continue on both your Android and iPhone X.
- On your Android device, tap Agree then Next.
- A 12-digit code will be displayed on your iPhone X. Enter that code on your Android device.
- After entering the given code, your Android device will attempt to connect with your iPhone X over a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connection and determine what data will be migrated.
You can also transfer your Google Account information, Chrome bookmarks, text messages, contacts, videos and photos saved in your camera roll. Just select everything you want to transfer to your new iPhone.
- After making your selection, your Android device will automatically begin moving the selected data over to your iPhone X and sort contents to the correct apps. Once the file transfer is finished, both devices will disconnect.
- Tap the option to Continue Setting Up iPhone on your iPhone X and finish the entire iOS setup process.
- You will be prompted to log in to the accounts you transferred from your Android device. Just follow the onscreen instructions and you’re good to go.
The transfer process duration may vary depending on how much data you have on your Android device to be transferred over to your new iPhone X. It could take longer if you have stored a lot of photos and video files.
Manual transfer of data from Android to iPhone X
If Move to iOS app is not your option, then you can just go for manual data transfer instead. This way you can select which from among your Android data to move or not. Read on to learn how it’s done.
How to manually transfer mail, contacts and calendars from your Android device to iPhone X?
Leading email providers are now supported in iOS 11 thus allowing you to keep your email, contacts, and calendars information. All you have to do is add your email accounts to your new iPhone X. Then follow these steps:
- After adding all your email accounts, go to your iPhone X Settings-> Mail menu.
- For each of your email account, tap the account and enable Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
Or you can also transfer any contacts and calendars stored in your email accounts through your social media accounts on your iPhone X. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone X.
- Install your social media app like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Go to Settings.
- Then tap the social media app you are using.
- Sign in with your account username and password.
- Turn on the options for Calendars and Contacts.
How to manually transfer photos and videos from your Android device to iPhone X?
In order to proceed, you will need to use iTunes on your Windows or Mac computer. Then follow these steps:
- Connect your Android device to your computer using the USB or data cable.
- Then locate your photos and videos. On most devices, photos and video files are stored in DCIM-> Camera folder.
- Select the photos and videos that you want to transfer and drag them to a dedicated folder on your computer.
- When you’re done selecting your photos and videos, disconnect your Android device from the computer.
- Then connect your iPhone X to the computer using the supplied USB connector or Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on your computer then sync your Photos to your iPhone. To do so, just click on your iPhone X icon in iTunes then click Photos in the sidebar on the left side of the iTunes window. Then click the box next to Sync Photos. If you are prompted with iCloud Photos is On, you don’t need to sync the files because all of your photos and videos are already available on your devices that uses iCloud Photo Library.
- Finally, select the app or folder that you want to sync from, select all photos and albums. To sync the videos from your app or folder, select the option to Include videos.
- Click the Apply button to begin the file transfer.
To view your photos and videos on your iPhone X, just go to Photos-> Albums menu.
How to manually transfer music from your Android device to iPhone X?
Again you will need to use iTunes on a Windows or Mac computer to carry out music file transfer from your Android device to your new iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Connect your Android device to the computer then find your music files. Usually these files are stored the Music folder on most devices. If you are using a Mac computer, you will need to install Android File Transfer app, open the app, then go to Music.
- Select the songs you want to transfer then drag them to a designated folder on your computer.
- Once you’re done selecting songs, disconnect your Android device from your computer.
- Then connect your iPhone X to the computer and open iTunes.
- In iTunes, go to your Library then click Music.
- Open the folder where you put your songs and then drag them to the Music view in iTunes.
- Select your iPhone X and click Music. You may opt to sync your entire library or select only the songs or artists that you recently added.
- Click Sync to begin music files syncing. When the syncing process is complete, you can view all your music on your iPhone in the Music app.
How to manually transfer Books and PDFs from your Android device to iPhone X?
There are two ways for you to move eBooks from your Android device. You can use relevant apps like Kindle, and Google Play Books to access eBooks or import them to your iOS device.
- To access books from an app, you will need to go to the App Store, get the app, then sign in with your username and password.
Alternatively, you can use iTunes to move ePub books and PDFs from your Android device to iPhone X. Here’s how:
- Connect your Android device to your computer then find your books and PDFs. Usually these files are stored in Documents folder on most devices. If you are using a Mac computer, you will need to install Android File Transfer app, open it, then go to Documents folder.
- Select the books and PDFs that you want to move then drag them to a new folder on your computer.
- When you’re done selecting and moving the files to a designated folder, disconnect your Android device from your computer.
- Then connect your iPhone X to your computer.
- Drag the books and PDFs into your library. If you are using a Windows PC, go to iTunes-> Books. On a Mac computer, go to iBooks-> List folder then drag your books there.
- Open iTunes on your computer and sync your ePub books and PDFs.
Wait until the files are done syncing. To view your ePub books and PDFs on your iPhone X, just go to Books-> All Books.
How to manually move Apps from your Android device to iPhone X?
Most apps that you use on your Android device are found in the App Store. So all you have to do is go to the App Store, search for your apps, then install them. After installing all your apps, sign in with your Apple ID and Password.
If you have any problem with the file transfer, try to restart both your Android and iOS devices then retry. If that won’t work, try to turn off Cellular Data connection on your Android device then try the file transfer again.
Be sure to allow both devices to complete the file transfer. Using of other apps or getting a phone call during the file transfer is likewise prohibited as they will interrupt the transfer process resulting to your contents not transferred.
And that covers everything in this walkthrough. Keep posted for more helpful guides to populate soon in our iPhone X Tutorials section. Or you may reach out to us for more help.