Email setup is part of the initial setup procedure when you open and use your new iPhone for the first time. In this case, you will be provided with an email setup wizard containing simple steps for you to follow until the email account is successfully set up and configured. In the case where you need to use a different or new email account to serve as the default email inbox on your iPhone X, all you have to do is add the new account and then select it as the default email on your device.
In case you need further assistance on how to get these things done, then here’s a step-by-step walkthrough for you to refer to in the process. To further assist you in managing email accounts on your new iPhone X, I’ve also included pertinent information on how to set up or add other emails, edit email accounts, delete unused email accounts, and manage email messages in your inbox. If you wish to learn more just scroll down and keep reading.
- How to set up/add a personal email account on your iPhone X
- How to add email account manually on your iPhone X
- How to set up/add a corporate email (Exchange ActiveSync) account on your iPhone X
- How to set a default email account on your iPhone X
- How to remove/delete an email account on your iPhone X
- Other email options you may configure
How to set up/add a personal email account on your iPhone X
The following steps will walk you through setting up your personal email account using any of the email providers like iCloud, Google, or Yahoo on the iPhone X Mail app. Any of these email accounts can be setup with just your email address and password. Here’s how it’s done:
- Navigate to your iPhone Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap to select your email provider. If your email provider is not in the list, tap Other then add your account manually with the given steps below.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Tap Next and wait for the Mail app to verify your account information.
- Select information from your email account that you want to see on your device like Contacts or Calendars.
- Tap Save when you’re done to finish the email account setup process.
How to add email account manually on your iPhone X
In order to proceed with manual email account setup, you will need to enter the email settings including server information for your account. If you don’t know of this information yet, contact your email provider or use the email lookup tool on the Apple Support website. Once you’ve got the necessary information ready, follow these steps to set up your email account:
- Tap Settings from Home.
- Tap Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap Add Account.
- Scroll to and tap to select Other from the given options.
- Tap Add Mail Account to continue.
- Enter your name, email address, password, and a preferred description for your account.
- Tap Next.
- Wait for the Mail app to find the email settings and finish your account setup.
- If the Mail app finds your email settings, tap Done to complete your email account setup. Otherwise, enter the information with these steps:
- Select IMAP or POP for your new account. If you are not sure of which email type your account belongs, contact your email provider.
- Enter the information for Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server then tap Next. Again, contact your email provider or use the lookup tool for the right information to use.
- Wait until the Mail app successfully verified your email settings. If the settings are correct, tap Save to finish the setup process. You will be asked to edit the server settings if the details you’ve entered are incorrect. Try again and see if it works on your second attempt.
If it still won’t go through then contact your email provider for further assistance in setting up your email account on your new iPhone.
How to set up/add a corporate email (Exchange ActiveSync) account on your iPhone X
You can set up your work/corporate email account to stay updated with what’s new at work even while you’re at home or anywhere else for as long as your iPhone X is connected to the Internet. To make this happen, just add your Exchange ActiveSync account on your iPhone X and then you can start syncing your Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Notes wirelessly on your new iOS device. Need help? Here’s how it’s done:
- Navigate to your iPhone Settings-> Accounts & Passwords-> Add Account-> then select Exchange from the list of email service providers.
- Enter your work email address. If you want, you can also enter a description for your email account.
- Choose to either Configure Manually or Sign In to connect to your Exchange Server. Select the first option if you want to setup and configure your email account manually otherwise, select the latter option. If you choose to configure your account manually, you will need to enter the server settings for incoming and outgoing servers, port numbers, etc. Contact your system administrator if you don’t know of the server settings to use. Otherwise, select the option to Sign In and connect to your Exchange Server automatically instead. If you choose Sign In, your email address will be sent to Microsoft to locate and verify your Exchange account information. If necessary, follow the custom authentication workflow, which will be provided if your account uses a multi-factor authentication.
- Sync your Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders and Notes.
- Finally, tap Save to complete the email setup process.
You can edit your Exchange settings at any time by going to Settings-> Accounts & Passwords menu-> then select your Exchange email account.
How to set a default email account on your iPhone X
If your iOS Mail settings default to an account you never use, then you can configure and change the default to your preferred email account. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Passwords then your mail account name.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Email.
- Tap to select an email address that you want to set as default. Doing so will change and use the new email account as your From address in new mails.
- Tap Address. If you see that there is only one address in this section, then it means that you’re good to go.
How to remove/delete an email account on your iPhone X
Removing then re-adding of your email account is often required to fix login issues and other email problems like unable to receive or send emails through your iPhone X mail app. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to the Home screen then tap Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Passwords.
- Navigate to the Accounts section then tap to select your email account to delete.
- Tap Delete Account.
- When prompted, tap Delete from My iPhone to confirm account deletion.
Once the account has been successfully deleted or removed, restart your iPhone then add the account again by going back to the Settings-> Accounts & Passwords menu, and then tap Add Account.
Follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to select the account type you wish to add along with the email account information and sync options you want to use. Tap to turn on syncing for your preferred options then tap to Save the changes when you’re done.
Other email options you may configure
There are many other options in the Mail app that you can configure based on your preferences. For example, you can specify or create an email signature or use shortcut options.
Adding an HTML signature to your email messages
Another way to make your emails look professional is by adding a nice email signature in it. If you already have an HTML signature on your computer, copy and paste the code into an email and then forward it to yourself. You then can copy and paste it into the Mail app or whichever email client you are using for as long as HTML signatures are supported. You can create an HTML email signature as simple as text formatting tags or as complex as adding a logo from a web server.
Using Mail swipe shortcut options
You can also configure your new iPhone X to swipe to manage emails instead of clicking through and tapping on several buttons. To do so, change or configure the option to Swipe Right to Archive so that when you swipe to that direction, you will be able to quickly save an email to your Archive folder. If your email account supports swiping left as a default Delete action, you can also use that option to quickly send useless emails to Trash. Options may vary depending on the email app you are using. The said options are usually available only with your built-in Mail app. Other third-party email clients offer different functions.
Sending and receiving emails
Once you’re done with the email account setup, don’t forget to do a test mail to see if you can send and receive emails as intended on your iPhone X. You can try to send basic text emails or attach a file to your email. Here’s how to do the latter:
- Tap Mail from the Home screen to launch the Mail app.
- Tap the Compose icon in the bottom right corner to start creating your message.
- Enter the email address as recipient or tap the Plus (+) icon to add a recipient from your contacts list.
- Enter your subject line and message.
- Tap and hold on a blank area in the message field for a few seconds, then release. Doing so will open a pop-up menu.
- Select the option to Insert Photo or Video from the pop-up menu.
- Then choose your photo or video file to attach.
- Finally, tap Send to send the email with attachment.
And that covers everything in this walkthrough. Stay tuned for more helpful guides to populate soon in our Tutorials section from our dedicated iPhone X Troubleshooting page.
If you are having trouble sending or receiving emails with or without an attachment, try to check if your iPhone X is connected to the Internet. If it is connected but still couldn’t send or receive emails, quit the Mail app then restart your iPhone. If that won’t work either, contact your email service provider for further assistance. You may need to configure or setup your email account again as required.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.