Both of the latest flagship smartphones from Apple come with massive storage capacity – 64GB and 256GB variant. These default internal storage cannot be upgraded beyond the original amount that was installed at the moment of purchase. The iPhone’s lack of expandable internal flash memory limits end-users to stay within the specified storage range unless they are willing to spend extra dollars to add external storage to the iPhone.
While the default iPhone storage may be good enough to house various contents and iOS apps it may not be able to meet all the needs of those who are fond of adding complex apps and apps. With constant file download, the device would run out of internal storage space in time. This is when memory-related issues begin to manifest and internal memory management would be necessary.
This post highlights a few helpful insights on how to manage memory storage and SIM card on the new iPhone 8 if ever you get to the point of dealing with performance issues in the future. Relevant topics are also being tackled. Feel free to refer to this content when needed.
How to view available storage on your iPhone 8?
While iOS monitors the storage on your iPhone, user’s intervention would still be needed so as to ensure that there is still enough space to allocate more files, requests and processes. Viewing the available storage on the iPhone from time to time can likewise help you analyze how much space each app uses and gauge whether it’s normal or not. You can use iTunes or Settings menu to check the current status of your phone’s internal storage.
Check available storage space using the device Settings:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap [Device] Storage.
- You will then be prompted with a new screen that contains device optimization tips followed by a list of installed apps on the amount of storage each app uses.
- To view more information about storage consumption for each app, tap an app’s name.
- You might be able to delete some contents, or delete the app and all of its content depending on the nature of the app. To free up storage used by the app while keeping the app’s data and document on your device, you can offload the app.
Typically, you will be prompted with a Storage Almost Full alert if your device is almost running out of internal storage space and iOS can no longer free up more space on your device. Recommendations for optimizing your iPhone storage might also be posted. To view all the recommendations for your device, tap the option to Show All. Read the description of each recommendation, then tap Enable to turn it on.
Manage apps with the Settings menu on your iPhone 8
If your iPhone starts to experience performance issues after installing an app, consider uninstalling or removing unwanted apps especially those that are taking up large amount of ROM. Here’s how to manage or remove apps on your iPhone 8:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Storage & iCloud Usage.
- Tap Manage Storage.
- Wait for the list of apps to show under Storage section. This list will help you determine which apps are using the most space.
Uninstall or remove apps that are no longer useful to free up some space.
Check available storage space on your iPhone 8 using iTunes:
In order to use iTunes in viewing your iPhone storage, you need to secure a computer (Windows or Mac) with the latest version of iTunes app installed. When everything is set, follow these steps:
- Open iTunes on the computer.
- Connect your iPhone 8 to your computer using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- Select your device in iTunes.
- A bar showing how much storage your iOS content uses divided by content type will appear.
- To view more information, move your mouse over a content type like Apps or Other.
Cached files are usually stored in the Other folder. These files are created when you stream or view contents like photos, videos, and music to allow quick access on the contents the next time you use them. When your iPhone needs more space, it automatically removes cached files and temporary files. Among the types of contents available on your iOS device would include but not limited to Video, Audio, Photos, Books, Documents and Data.
How to use and manage SIM card on your iPhone 8?
Another storage medium used on your iPhone is the SIM card. Aside from contacts, it also stores SIM messages on your iOS device. If ever you will encounter errors pertaining the SIM card on your iPhone, removing and re-inserting the SIM card can help. For iOS starters, here’s how to insert and remove the SIM card on your iPhone 8.
- Power off your iPhone 8. Make sure it is completely turned off.
- Take a paper clip or SIM ejector.
- Locate the SIM tray on the right side of your iPhone.
- Insert the pin or SIM ejector into the small hole and push it slightly until the SIM tray pops-out.
- Remove the SIM card from the SIM card tray. Check the SIM card and make sure that there are no visible signs of damage.
- Insert the SIM card into the SIM tray so that the notched corner aligns.
- Re-insert the SIM tray into the iPhone.
- Turn on your device and start using network services.
How to change the SIM PIN on your iPhone 8?
For security purposes, you may opt to change the SIM PIN on your iPhone. You can lock your SIM card with a personal identification number (PIN) to require identification code for phone calls and cellular data usage. Doing so will prevent others from using your device for making unauthorized calls or cellular data. Everytime you restart your device or remove the SIM card, your SIM card will automatically lock and you will see a Locked SIM label in the status bar.
Be sure to take note of your SIM PIN. Entering the wrong PIN several times can permanently lock your SIM card and if this happens, you may need to secure a new SIM card. Here’s how to turn your SIM PIN on or off:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Phone.
- Tap SIM PIN.
- Turn your SIM PIN on or off by tapping the slider. To protect your SIM from unauthorized use in other devices, you can set or change the SIM PIN code.
- To change the PIN, tap Change PIN, enter the current PIN then enter and confirm the new PIN. Finally, tap Save or Done.
- If prompted, enter your SIM PIN. If you’ve never used one, enter the default SIM PIN from your carrier. If you are not sure, contact your carrier to verify this information.
In case your SIM card is locked, contact your carrier and ask further assistance in unlocking your SIM card using the default SIM PIN or PUK code.
Manage PUK code on your iPhone 8
If you enter a wrong PIN code several times in a row, the device blocks you from attempting again. This is when PUK unlock plays its role. A PUK code error message typically appears when the device detects suspicious use of the SIM card. Any of the following error prompts will show up:
- PIN code blocked. Enter PUK code.
- Enter PUK code.
- SIM card locked. Emergency calls only. Please contact Customer Care.
If you are seeing any of these error messages, contact your carrier’s customer support and request your PUK code. When you got the PUK code ready, go to your iPhone and open the Dialer screen.
- Tap Unlock.
- Enter the PUK code then tap OK.
- Enter a new PIN code then tap b
- Re-enter the new PIN code then tap OK to confirm new changes made.
- Wait for your iPhone to finish unlocking.
You may opt to turn off the SIM PIN once you have access to your device. While turning the SIM PIN off will prevent your device from asking for your PUK code again, doing so will likewise expose your device SIM card to unauthorized users.
How does a SIM card work on your iPhone 8?
A SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card connects the iPhone’s baseband chip and your carrier’s cell towers, allowing them to communicate. If something goes wrong with the SIM card, that’s when iPhone problems tied to carrier or network services instigate. SIM cards can be transferred and used in other device so if your iPhone 8 runs out of power and you need to make a call or go online, you can just swap the SIM into your other compatible device.
As much as possible, keep your SIM card safe and secured to prevent incurring unauthorized extra data charges.
And that covers everything in this guide. Keep posted for more iPhone 8 tutorials or visit our dedicated troubleshooting page for other helpful topics and troubleshooting guides.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.