After the successful release and implementation of the iOS 10, Apple is once again up for its next major iOS platform release this fall. In preparation for the said rollout, the company has publicized the iOS 11 beta software for selected iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices. Apple’s next mobile operating system is promising users with over a hundred new features and enhanced functions, all for the purpose of making your iOS device better and more capable than ever.
As initial highlights, users are to expect augmented reality in terms of mobile games and apps. For iPad users, the implementation of this new platform offers new features and capabilities that will make way for your device to become more powerful and personal. Definitely there’s a lot to look forward to from the next major iOS. In line with that, Apple has recently rolled out a beta version of the software — the iOS 11 public beta for iPhones and iPad. The software can be downloaded and installed through over-the-air (OTA) update. Among the requisites for you to avail on this beta software for your iDevice would include a registered account, along with a strong and stable Wi-Fi connection in order to download the beta file with ease.
Supported Devices for iOS 11 beta software
The iOS 11 public beta software is only available on selected iPhones from iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus, and higher versions. It is also supported on a wide range of iPad devices from iPad mini 2-4, 5th generation iPad, iPad Air and Air 2, iPad Pro (bigger and smaller screens), as well as on the 1st generation and 2nd generation iPad Pro devices. It is also available for 6th generation iPod touch.
iOS 11 beta software prerequisites
In order to get started, verify and ensure that your device is listed among the supported devices. Once verified, register for iOS 11 public beta testing program and enroll your device. Before you proceed with the iOS 11 beta download and installation, Apple strongly recommends backing up your device through iTunes and archiving that backup for safekeeping purposes. This is in line with the fact that what you are about to get is a beta or in-development software. That being said, it is inevitable for the software to have some bugs that may affect the device’s normal functions after implementation. If available, install the iOS 11 beta on a secondary device instead of your primary iDevice. Otherwise, backup your iPhone or iPad and refer to the subsequent guide.
How to register your account to avail of the iOS 11 beta software?
In order to download the iOS 11 beta on your iOS device, you will need to have a developer account with Apple. Here’s how it works:
- Open Safari browser app on your iOS device.
- Navigate to developer.apple.com website.
- Click on the Download New Betas tab.
- Sign in with your developer account’s username and password.
- Go to iOS 11 beta section and then tap the Arrow Down to view available downloads.
- Tap Download next to Configuration Profile.
- If prompted to select your preferred device to use, select iPhone or iPad (your device).
- Tap Install to continue. If necessary, enter the correct passcode.
- Agree to the terms and conditions stated on the consent form.
- Tap Install on the upper-right corner and then tap Install again to confirm action.
- Tap Restart to reboot your device.
How to create an archived backup of your iOS device?
As recommended by Apple, you need to back up your iPhone or iPad and archive that backup through iTunes before installing the new iOS 11 beta software. To do so, you will need a computer (Windows or Mac) that runs the latest version of iTunes program. Once you’re all set, follow these subsequent steps.
- Connect your iOS device to the computer using the supplied USB cable or connector.
- Open iTunes on the computer.
- Wait until iTunes recognizes your device. If so, click on your device icon on iTunes menu bar.
- Make sure that the backup is set to This Computer and Encrypted backup is turned on or enabled.
- Click Back Up Now to continue.
- To create an encrypted backup of your device, click on Encrypt Backup and enter a password.
- Create a backup of your apps along with other important files.
- Click Command to open Preferences. Alternatively, you can click on iTunes in the menu bar and then click on Preferences.
- Click the Devices tab on the next screen.
- Click your Backup and select Archive
How to Register or Sign up for iOS 11 public beta testing program?
On your iOS device, open the Safari browser app and navigate to beta.apple.com. Doing so will take you to the Apple Beta Software Program page, wherein you can sign up as a member and take part in harnessing the software by testing the pre-release version and relay your feedback to the iOS developers based on your own experience when using the beta software on their respective devices.
- Tap the Sign Up button to continue.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to sign in to the Apple Beta Program. Make sure you enter the correct information and then tap the Sign In button.
- If prompted with the “Apple ID requested…” message, tap Allow to continue.
- A six-digit verification code will be sent to your iOS device.
- Enter the six-digit code on the given field and then tap Continue.
- Scroll down and tap the Accept button located on the bottom right-corner of the Agreement screen.
- Tap the iOS tab on the Guide for Public Betas screen. Doing so will launch the screen to Enroll Your Devices.
- To enroll your iOS device, the iOS tab.
- Tap the Download Profile button.
- If prompted, tap Allow from the message prompt to proceed.
- The iOS beta software profile will then open in the Settings app.
- Tap Install on the upper-rightmost of the screen.
- On the Consent screen, tap Install.
- Tap Install again to confirm action.
- If prompted, tap Restart to restart your iOS device and apply the new changes.
After the restart, the beta profile will be downloaded on your iOS device. The download process may take longer depending on your Internet connection. Wait until the download is completed successfully. After the download, proceed to iOS 11 beta installation.
How to Install iOS 11 Public Beta on your iOS device?
After the download completes, your device will reboot. Once it has rebooted, head over to Settings-> General-> Software Update menu on your iOS device, and then follow the rest of the subsequent steps:
- Tap Download and Install to continue.
- If prompted, read and review the information on the Terms and Conditions screen and then tap Agree to proceed.
- Tap Install Now to begin the installation.
Wait until the iOS 11 beta software installation is finished and then set up your device as new or restore from a previous iTunes backup.
What to do if you cannot download iOS 11 beta software on your iPhone or iPad?
If for some reasons you couldn’t get to download the iOS 11 beta software on your iOS device, try to check your internet connection and make sure it is strong and stable. Also ensure that your device has enough storage space to allocate the new update. There are also some instances when you will have trouble download the iOS 11 beta due to server errors like congested network or massive traffic to Apple’s server. Here are a few remedies and workarounds you can try on should you encounter any of the following errors while attempting to download the new iOS 11 beta platform for your device.
- Verify that Wi-Fi connection on your device is strong and stable.
- Remove unnecessary or unwanted contents so as to free up more space on your device.
- Make sure that your iOS device is charged at least 50 percent. Otherwise, connect it to the power source beforehand.
- Delete the beta profile and download it again on your iOS device. To do so, go to Settings-> General-> Profile. On the profile page, tap iOS Beta Software Profile then tap Delete Profile. Reboot your device and after the reboot, go to the Apple developer site and download the iOS beta software profile again.
- Once the profile has been successfully downloaded and installed on your iOS device, go to Settings-> General-> Software Update menu. Now try to download the iOS 11 beta file again.
After you have successfully installed the iOS 11 beta software on your iPhone or iPad, you may now go ahead and customize controls or options, and explore the rest of the new features and iOS 11 functions.
Connect with us
Visit our troubleshooting page to view more solutions to other iPhone problems we have addressed in our prior posts. If you wish to reach our iOS support team for further assistance, then you may do so by filling up this form with all the required information. Be sure to provide us with the significant details of the issue that you need help with so we would be able to give you the best possible solutions and recommendations to try on.