Welcome to the second part in our series of troubleshooting articles dealing with the iPhone 4S. As you may have already known we are answering questions sent to us by our readers through email concerning their iOS devices. We understand the value owners place on their iPhone’s and want to help them resolve any issues they may be facing regarding their device.
If you own an iPhone 4S or any other iOS device for that matter feel free to send us an email at email@example.com. We will be more than happy to help you with your concerns. The best part of this is that you won’t have to pay anything at all since this is a free service we are offering to our readers. Just make sure to be as detailed as possible when escribing the problem you are facing with your device so that an accurate assessment can be made by us.
iPhone 4S Display Not Working
Problem: Just wondering if you can help me with this. I accidentally got the top of my phone wet. i’m not sure how much water got it but it was definitely minimal. When i realized it got wet, i didn’t think that much of it, just shook whatever water was on it off thinking that nothing really got in, but 30 mins later the phone started malfunctioning, eventually the screen turned black. I left it to die and stuck it in my dry cabinet but a week later took it out, turned it on only to find out that everything except the screen works. The phone was getting notifications, the switch on the side that turns silent mode on and off works, i can power off the phone as well. So i’m concluding that i fried the screen, and not the digitizer. So i’m wondering if there is any way to check if i fried something on the board itself as well? or do i just have to get a replacement screen and try it out?
Solution: When water enters any electronic device that is turned on it will definitely cause issues such as shorting of the components. This doesn’t happen all of the time though as I’ve seen most phones survive even after getting in contact with water. If you know how to open your phone then try doing so and check if there is still moisture inside. If you have a fan then turn it on and direct it to your phone to dry out any water that may still be present. Once you have verified that no more moisture or water is present then put it back together and turn it on.
If the screen is still not working then you might want to consider bringing your device to an authorized service center for further checking.
iPhone 4S Not Charging
Problem: So I was given a 4s iphone from my brother who got it from a good friend. The problem is it won’t turn on, charge, or be recognized by itunes. I think it’s the battery is dead but maybe someone can help me. I checked when I have it plugged in to the wall I get .7v going to the battery and my battery only has the same voltage. I’ve had the phone plugged in overnight. any help or insight would be great. Thanks
Solution: If the phone isn’t new then the first thing you should do in cases like this is to replace the battery with a new one. There’s a big chance that the battery may already be faulty and swapping it with a new one may just be the solution.
iPhone 4S Download Music From Music App To Phone
Problem: I can not download musics into my iPhone, it only show the camera file in the computer. And the musics i download on my phone APP, can not be found in the phone too. So I still can not change my ring voice How could I download musics into my iPhone ???
Solution: From what I understand you want to download music from a music app to your phone. Most of the major music apps stream the music to your device and does not provide a way to save the streamed music into your phone unless you pay a premium price. You might want to consider subscribing to a monthly or yearly plan with your favorite music app so you can download the music that you want.
iPhone 4S Backup SMS Messages
Problem: Hello, my iphone 4S is having battrey problems, it switches off at 20%. Just surprised why it does so, my ipad running the same version of iOS is working fine. May be hardware problem…? Now I am thinking of resetting and restore my iPhone with iTunes and I have a backup already on my PC iTunes. But before I go on to erase my phone, I wanted to know the iTunes backup will also restore my SMS messages; I have important messages that I want to keep on my phone, If iTunes cannot do that, how may I backup and restore the SMS messages. Thanks in advance.
Solution: iTunes will allow you to backup and restore the messages stored in your phone. To perform a backup just follow the steps below.
- Make sure your computer has the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer.
- Choose File > Devices > Back up.
- If you’re using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Backup Now.
- To verify that the backup finished successfully, open iTunes Preferences and select the Devices tab. You’ll see the name of the device along with the date and time iTunes created the backup.
To restore the backup follow the steps below
- Connect your iOS device to the computer that has your backup.
- Make sure this computer has the latest version of iTunes.
- Choose File > Devices > Restore from Back up.
- If you’re using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Restore from Backup.
iPhone 4S Microphone Issue
Problem: The mic on my phone doesn’t work when I try to talk to someone. I can hear them, but they can’t hear me. However, when I switch to speakerphone the call works fine, and they can hear me. I also noticed when I try to use Siri, the phone is not picking up my voice properly. I almost have to yell to get Siri to understand me. I’ve done a reset on the phone, and even reset all the settings and it doesn’t seem to be helping. Any advise????? Thanks!!!
Solution: Since you have already done a reset and the issue hasn’t been resolved then there’s a big possibility that this could already be a hardware issue. Try bringing your device to an authorized service center for further checking. My guess is that the noise canceling microphone may be faulty.
iPhone 4S Cellular Data Issue
Problem: New iphone 4s user. I have limited data plan and i try to minimize my data usage by stoping some applications but i still find my data bundles being used up in a very short time. I did this. Settings-cellular-and switched off data use for many apps , except for opera mini and watsap . My emails have been set to “manual” and not push. There is however this “itunes accounts” under settings-cellular-system services-itunes accounts which seems to be the Problem maybe. If it is the one, how can i stop it. Please see attached screen shot. Thanks in advance
Solution: Try switching off automatic updates, push notifications, and cellular data on your phone. If ou need to go online just use a Wi-Fi connection.
iPhone 4S Greyed Out Wi-Fi
Problem: Hi guys! A couple of months ago I updated my iPhone 4s (via the app store) and since I have had a greyed out wifi, Various different sites have said things ranging from reseting my phone (done a full reset twice and problem still persists) I have also reset the network settings. Another option was that it was an update that apple released which made the wifi chip overheat, Which stated to wait for the next update I did wait for an update and for about an hour my wifi was working . But now its back to not working and it’s costing me a lot of money on Data plans (my family lives in the UAE and I live in Australia so I Skype them) this is becoming a real issue. I’ve done things ranging from a full reset to putting my iPhone in the freezer.. but to no avail. My phone has been fully re-covered including the screen so I am not really looking to buy a new one right now after spending so much on it already so a fix would be ideal.. however I DONT want to reset my phone again because it’s a real pain.
Solution: A greyed out Wi-Fi switch may either be caused by a software or a hardware problem. If it’s a software problem then it could easily be fixed through a reset or a software update.
The correct procedure to troubleshoot if this is a software problem is as follows
- Restart your iOS device.
- Make sure that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
- Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
- Make sure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.
If after performing the above steps your Wi-Fi is still greyed out then you will have to bring your device to an authorized service center for checking.
iPhone 4S Will Not Restore
Problem: Hello! Im having errors on iTunes while restoring iPhone 4S at iOS 7.1. I was trying to update from Settings/General/Software Update, while the phone was working and it was 30% or more battery, but then it turned off and didn’t booted on again. When I take it off Recovery mode, its just flashing the Apple logo… Im using Windows7 Professional for Restore process. I have corrected the hosts file, but still the same error. Can anyone tell me what to do ?
Solution: Follow the steps below to properly restore your device.
- Turn off your device. If you can’t turn it off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time and wait a few seconds for it to turn off.
- Plug the device’s USB cable into your computer only.
- Hold down the device’s Home button as you connect the USB cable to it.
- When you see the Connect to iTunes screen, release the Home button. If you don’t see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 one more time.
- iTunes should open and display a message such as: “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.”
- Use iTunes to restore your device.
iPhone 4S Transferring Photos From PC To Phone
Problem: I have read multiple forums on how to transfer pictures FROM PC to the iPhone 4S and I keep running into the same problem. My phone is connected to iTunes and I go to picture tab but each time I try to select a folder or a picture it keeps telling me no items match your search. All of my photos on my computer are JPEG. Can you help?
Solution: You can use iCloud to transfer photos from your PC to your iPhone. You will need to install and configure the iCloud software on your PC to do this.
- On your computer, open an Explorer window and navigate to the folder in which the pictures you want are stored. Select those you want, right-click on them and choose Copy.
- Navigate to the Pictures folder (My Pictures in Windows Vista). Find the Photo Stream folder which is created when you install the iCloud Control Panel, and double-click to view its contents. (Don’t click on the Photo Stream shortcut in the Windows Explorer Favourites list as you can’t get to the Uploads folder this way.)
- Open the Uploads folder within Photo Stream, right-click and Paste your copied photos into this folder.
- Your photos will appear in your Photo Stream (within the Photos app) on your iPhone shortly.
iPhone 4S Not Detecting SIM Card
Problem: I just switched out a broken screen on a 4S. Everything works fine, but the phone will not read the sim-card. It just says “Searching…” in the top left corner. Does anyone know what I might have done wrong?
Solution: Below are the steps you need to do in order to resolve this issue.
- Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
- Toggle Airplane mode On and Off.
- Try turning iPhone off and then on again.
- Check for a carrier settings update. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, a prompt will appear.
- Remove the SIM Card and verify that it is a valid, carrier-manufactured SIM. Also verify that it is not damaged, worn, or modified. Then reinsert it.
- Restore the iPhone.
Engage with us
If you have any concerns regarding your iPhone feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will provide you with free technical support regarding the issue you are facing with your device. Just make sure to provide as much detail as possible so that we can make an accurate diagnosis.