Apple and Samsung better take notice. Sony has finally come out with a product that could for the first time truly provide some stiff competition to the reigning kings of the iOS and Android worlds. Sony has for long struggled to bring out a killer smartphone, but all that could and most definitely will change with the coming of the Xperia Z Android smartphone, that was showcased at CES 2013.
Xperia Z happens to be the first smartphone wholly developed by Sony after its acquisition of Ericsson. Xperia Z has all the markings of a true flagship smartphone. Impressive looking design, top end specifications and some unique features.
Following are the key features of the Xperia Z that help it get noticed in the Android crowd. The smartphone features “Reality Display”, powered by Sony’s Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2. This TV derived display technology, Sony says, offers “super brightness and clarity.” Playing by its strengths, Sony has made yet more use of its expertise, this time in the smartphone’s camera. The Xperia Z has a 13 megapixel sensor featuring Exmor RS for mobile. This makes it the first smartphone image sensor that can capture HDR (High Dynamic Range) video.
Sony has not spoken about the smartphone’s battery life, but the Xperia Z comes with Battery STAMINA Mode. Under this mode the smartphone automatically shuts down power consuming applications when the screen is off and turns them back on when the screen is turned on. This, Sony claims, has the potential to improve standby time by up to four times.
Another of Xperia Z’s remarkable feature is that it’s water resistant, which is the best among smartphones of its class (IP55 and IP57).
Key features for Xperia Z
- Display: 5″ 1080 x 1920p full HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2
- Software: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (to be upgraded to Abdroid 4.2 soon after release)
- Hardware: 1.5 GHz asynchronous quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor with 2GB RAM
- Camera: 13MP Fast Capture camera with Exmor RS for mobile, HDR video, Superior Auto and Noise Reduction to effortlessly capture razor sharp pictures and videos in any conditions
- Design: Dust and water resistant (IP55 & IP57) with a durable glass display. Measures 7.9mm thin.
- Battery: STAMINA mode improves standby time by at least 4 times
Sony Xperia Z smartphone will be available starting from Q1 globally.