The first Toughbook with Windows 8 is here. The Panasonic Toughbook C2 is the latest semi-rugged product that is also a Windows 8 operating hybrid tablet. With its magnesium alloy case and shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive, the C2 is capable of withstanding drops on its sides from a height of 30 inches and from up to 12-inches when dropped from an angle. The device also features a spill resistant keyboard. The C2 comes with 64 bit Windows 8 Professional, with an option for Windows 7 and is powered by Intel Core i5, 2.8 GHz processor.
The Toughbook C2 is a suitable work machine for a wide variety professions but is specially useful for use by doctors and nurses. Besides the durable build quality, the C2 features extended battery life, touch input with support for digitizer pen and a hand strap. But the specialty feature is the fanless design, which does not facilitate spread of airborne diseases.
“The way we use technology on the job is evolving – today’s mobile professional demands flexibility and durability in addition to power and full functionality,” said Kyp Walls, director of product management, Panasonic System Communications Company of North America. “We engineered the Toughbook C2 to go where our customers go and to do whatever they need it to do, without the concerns that are inherent with a less reliable notebook or tablet.”
Panasonic Toughbook C2: Key Features
- Microsoft® Windows 8 Pro 64-bit operating system with Microsoft® Windows 7 professional option available
- Intel® Core™ i5-3427U vProTM (3MB cache, up to 2.8 GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
- 5-point capacitive multi-touch 12.5-inch, 500 nit, daylight-readable HD display with an anti-reflective/anti-glare treatments, and IPS technology to enable a wide viewing angle
- Digitizer for effortless note-taking and signature capture with an electronic pen
- Enhanced triple hinge design that provides durable support when rotating the screen to tablet mode
- Leading battery life: Delivers approx. 11 hours of continuous use depending on usage conditions (approx. 15 hours with optional long life battery)
- Bridge battery allows the main battery to be swapped without powering down the device
- Approx. 3.99 lb. magnesium alloy design
- High-definition 720p webcam with built-in microphone and optional 3MP rear facing camera
- Redesigned ergonomic Y-shaped hand strap for easy carrying in both landscape and portrait modes
- Embedded wireless technologies including Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth® and optional 4G LTE or 3G Gobi™ mobile broadband
- Flexible configuration options including the optional inclusion of a serial port, VGA (HDMI port comes standard) or modem port, as well as optional near field communications (NFC) or SmartCard reader for user authentication
- Ambient light, magnetic, acceleration and gyro sensors to enable new Windows 8 functionalities
- USB 3.0 ports: Includes two backward-compatible USB 3.0 ports that allow file transfer speeds up to 10x faster than USB 2.0 ports
The Panasonic Toughbook C2 hybrid device will be available from December and will come with a limited three years warranty, for a starting price of $2949.