Nokia has announced a new Lumia model Windows Phone 8 smartphone, which will be mainly targeted towards the youth. The Lumia 620 is a more affordable WP8 model when compared to the other two, namely Lumia 920 and Lumia 820, but still manages to provide the eye catching aesthetics that Nokia is well known for. The Lumia 620 in particular will be the most colorful of the lot, thanks to, what Nokia calls ‘dual-shot’ technique. More on that later.
Lumia 620 will be a mid-range smartphone in terms of specifications. This model will be powered by a 1 GHz dual core Snapdragon processor and will sport a 3.8 inch screen with a display resolution of 800×480 pixels. But Nokia says Lumia 620 will still feature the sunlight readability enhancements that are found on the high end Lumia 920 and 820.
Lumia 620 will also manage to offer decent camera technology despite the lower price. The primary camera will be a 5 megapixel unit and the front webcam will be VGA and will be capable of making use of Nokia’s Digital Camera Lenses, such as Cinemagraph and Smart Shoot.
User experience will be further improved thanks to Nokia’s Maps, Drive and City Lens apps based on the ‘HERE’ platform. And then there is all the goodness of Windows Phone 8 like Xbox Live, Microsoft Office, 7GB of SkyDrive storage, Internet Explorer 10 and more. Lumia 620 will also come with NFC capability.
The major feature of the Lumia 620 WP8 is, however, not what is inside the phone or what sort of apps are available for the device. The ‘dual-shot’ technique that was mentioned earlier is a method through which Lumia 620 will be able to change its body colors to match the WP8 UI color. Unlike the Lumia 820, the 620 will be provided with dual covers – a solid one and the other a translucent one. It is this translucent layer that will bring out the secondary color and add texture.
“For example, yellow and cyan are combined to produce an exciting new lime green, our own favourite. What’s more, since the Nokia Lumia 620 uses exchangeable shells, you can change the colour as often as you change your mood with seven shells to choose from.”
Lumia 620 will launch initially in Asia, Europe,the Middle East and Africa, followed by the other markets. Nokia has priced Lumia 620 at $249 and the device will hit the market during the first quarter of the coming year.
Nokia Lumia 620 Specifications:
- Networks: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100
- GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- Display: 3.8” TFT WVGA 800×480, ClearBlack
- Memory: 512MB RAM (8GB internal memory, Micro SD support up to 64GB)
- Camera: 5Mpix autofocus, LED flash; Video capture: HD 720p@30fps; VGA front camera
- Size & weight: 115.4 x 61.1 x 11.02 mm; 127g (including battery)
- Connectivity: NFC, WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz, Bluetooth 3.0, GPS/A-GPS, Glonass, micro-USB, 3.5mm audio connector (AHJ + WP Controls)
- Processor: 1 GHz Dual Core Snapdragon (TM) S4
- Battery Talk time: (GSM/WCDMA) Up to 14.6 h/ up to 9.9 h; Standby time: Up to 330 h