Welcome to our first troubleshooting article dedicated to the iPhone 5 running on iOS 8. We have dedicated this entire post to this type of problem since we have been receiving several emails from our readers seeking assistance regarding the issues that they are facing with their iPhone 5 that they recently upgraded to iOS 8.
As we already know, Apple recently released the iPhone 6 and with it also came iOS 8. I’m sure the company made extensive testing of this new software on the new iPhone however for its older phone models it seems that not enough testing was done. Proof of this is the number of complaints from people who own older models right after they upgraded their phone software.
If you own an iPhone 5 or any other iPhone for that matter feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. We will be more than happy to help you with any concern that you may have with your mobile device. This is a free service we are offering to our readers with no strings attached. We do however ask that when you send us an email try to be as detailed as possible so that we can make an accurate assessment of the issue and give out the correct solution.
No cell service after iOS 8 update
Problem: A few days ago, I updated to iOS 8.0.1 on my iPhone 5. Ever since, calls ring into my phone, and I can answer and (sometimes) hear the person on the other end, but they can’t hear me. A few seconds into the call, the call drops. I can’t make any calls out. Some text messages are not going through. MMS photos are not going through. I have owned Apple products for years and years – MacBooks, MacBook Air, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPhones, iMac….. I have noticed a continual degradation of products over the years, quality is NOT what it used to be for Apple. I used to feel that I was getting a superior product. Not anymore. I can’t think of a single reason anymore to purchase Apple over another brand in terms of product (hardware and software) quality. All that remains is my Apple loyalty, and after not being able to make a telephone call — even my loyalty is starting to wane. Is there any way to fix this?
Solution: I’m sorry to hear that your phone is acting this way. The good news is that Apple is aware of this issue on version 8.0.1 and has releases iOS 8.0.2 that fixes some of the bugs present in the version that you are using including the no cellular service problem.
To update your phone you could do it over the air or by using the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer.
- Before you make any updates, back up your device to iCloud or iTunes.
- Make sure your device has enough available space to install the update. Tap Settings > General > Usage to see how much space your content uses. Use iTunes to create space if you don’t have enough, or remove content from your device.
- If you use your device’s Personal Hotspot for your computer’s Internet connection, update your device wirelessly or connect your computer to another network.
- Plug in your device to a power source.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap “Download and Install” to download the update. Updates might download automatically while your device is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
- Tap Install when the download completes if you want to complete it now. Tap Later to install the update later. If your device is passcode enabled, it will ask you to enter the passcode before installing the update.
- Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
- Plug in your device to your computer.
- In iTunes, select your device.
- In the Summary pane, click “Check for Update.”
- Click “Download and Update.”
Not recognized by iTunes after iOS 8.02 update
Problem: After upgrade tot IOS 8.0.2 iTunes doesn’t recognize my iPhone5 anymore. How can I recover my apps, data, etc.?
Solution: There are instances when after performing a major software update on your device it doesn’t get recognized by iTunes. Don’t panic as this doesn’t happen only on iOS 8.02 but other versions as well. While this may seem like a major issue there’s really nothing much to worry about as Apple has provided a solution to this sort of issue.
Follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve this issue. Proceed to the next step if the step you are on does not fix the problem.
Update the iTunes software on your computer. Check that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. In iTunes, select “Check for updates” in the Help menu.
Check the USB cord you are using to connect your phone to the computer if it has any signs of physical damage or if debris is present on its ports. If possible try to replace it with another USB cord.
Verify that the Apple Mobile Device Support is installed in your computer. For Windows XP users click Start and choose Control Panel. Open the “Add or Remove Programs” control panel and verify that Apple Mobile Device Support is visible in the list of currently installed programs. For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users click Start and choose Control Panel. Click “Uninstall a program” (or if using Windows Vista’s Classic View of the Control Panel, click “Programs and Features”). Verify that Apple Mobile Device Support is visible in the list of currently installed programs. For Windows 8 users move the cursor to the upper right corner, click the magnifying glass, type Control Panel, and press Return. Click “Uninstall a program”. Verify that Apple Mobile Device Support is visible in the list of currently installed programs.
Try to uninstall iTunes then download a fresh copy and install it again.
Restart both your computer and your phone.
Stuck on temperature screen after iOS 8 update
Problem: I updated my iPhone 5 to the new IOS 8. It is stuck on the temperature screen. I have reset and done and hard reset. I have no idea what to do at this point? Can my phone be saved?
Solution: Since you have already performed a reset and a hard reset the next step that needs to be done is to restore your phone. Listed below are the steps that you need to perform. Make sure that you have a backup of your phone data before proceeding.
- Turn off your device and leave it off.
- Plug in your device’s USB cable to a computer with iTunes.
- Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
- When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don’t see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.
- When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You’ll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
- Select your iPhonewhen it appears in iTunes. In the Summary pane, click the Restore button for your device.
- Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content. iTunes will download the iOS software file and restore your iOS device.
- After your iOS device is restored to factory settings, it will restart, and you’ll see the “Slide to set up” welcome screen. Follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. You can set up your device as new or using a previous backup. If your iOS device has cellular service, it will activate after you restore.
Bluetooth not working since iOS8 update
Problem: Since recent IOS 8.0 updates Bluetooth on my iPhone 5 is not working cannot make calls through car Bluetooth system and cannot use Bluetooth to connect to other devices.
Solution: What you need to do to resolve this issue is to sign in to your iCloud to review your devices then remove any inactive device from there.
- Sign in to iCloud on your iOS devices.
- On one of your devices, tap Settings > Bluetooth and look under My Devices. You’ll see all devices that are connected to Bluetooth, but make sure that you see your Apple devices that are signed in to iCloud and are using iOS 8.
- Sign out of your iCloud account from any devices that you don’t want to use. To sign out of iCloud on an iOS device, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out.
Remove inactive devices
- Sign in to iCloud.com.
- Select Find My iPhone.
- Select any devices that aren’t active anymore.
- Wait for Find My iPhone to stop trying to find the inactive device.
- You should see the option to remove this device from your account. Select it to remove the device.
Restart your phone after the above steps have been completed.
Several issues after iOS 8 update
Problem: Since upgrading to the latest OS, I have experienced several hardware and software issues. 1) The screen will occasionally freeze and not accept touch input. The App currently running continues to run, it just won’t accept touch screen commands. 2) The Samsung Laser printer I bought specifically to Aiprint to (model is 2825DN) (and is on Apples recommended list) won’t print properly It either prints gargabe lines page after page or the pages are unrecognizable. The issue is not there for my iPad or other iPhone 5 which were not upgraded (Running iOS 6 and iOS 7 respectively) 3) Several apps are now broken, but particularly annoying is AV control for pioneer receivers.
Solution: The best thing to do in cases like this is to setup your phone as a new device without restoring your backup data first. If the issues do not occur then you can start restoring your backup. If the problem occurs again then it is most likely caused by a corrupted data. You will have to repeat the procedure but this time don’t restore your back up data.
- Ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- hoose File > Devices > Backup.
- When this is finished, view the date and time of your latest backup by clicking: (Mac: iTunes > Preferences > Devices) (Windows: Edit > Preferences > Devices)
- Turn off iMessage (If iMessage is active, turn off iMessage at Settings > Messages > iMessage.)
- Erase your device. If Find My iPhone is enabled, you need to turn it off in Settings > iCloud before you can erase your device.
- To remove all settings and information from your device, tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Learn more about Erase All Content and Settings.
- After your device is erased or restored, you should be able to view the start screen
- Complete the setup assistant. When prompted to set up your device, select Set Up as New iPhone and tap Next to continue.
- Skip the Apple ID sign-in, in case the original issue was related to any of your content on iCloud.
- If the issue is now resolved, sync one type of content at a time back to the device.
- After each sync, test to see if the issue has returned.
Random shut down and reboot after iOS 9 update
Problem: After reading about all the IOS 8 problems in the past few weeks I thought everyone was nuts until two days ago. My iphone 5 has never been mistreated, dropped, slung across a room, or undergone anything approaching torture. It has NEVER EVER EVER given me ANY problems. All of my apps worked seamlessly, and I never had any issues with the functionality of the phone. And, like the gung-ho Apple product lover that I am, I swiftly upgraded to IOS 8 hoping that things would only get better. BUT in the past two days, without treating my phone any different, it has begun to malfunction. It shut down by itself TWICE in a span of ten minutes two days ago. And each time I turned it back on, it acted as though I asked it to restart. It did the same thing yesterday, EVEN AFTER RESTORING IT TO FACTORY SETTINGS. On top of that, it refused to charge, although it was showing up on my macbook and the little lighting bolt appeared in the upper right hand corner of the phone. How do I get help for this? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Have you resolved it? HELP. Apple certainly won’t lose my business and I certainly can’t tell other people what to do, but I must echo other people’s caution about downlaoding IOS 8. If you have not done so yet, I strongly encourage you to hold off until Apple works out the kinks in this OS.
Solution: A new software update has been released by Apple which is version 8.0.2. I suggest installing this update on your phone as it addresses several of the issues that are present in iOS 8.0.
Engage with us
If you have any concerns regarding your iPhone feel free to email us at [email protected]. We will provide you with free technical support regarding the issue you are facing with your device. Just make sure to provide as much detail as possible so that we can make an accurate diagnosis.