Welcome to our first troubleshooting post regarding the iPhone 4S. We all know that this a relatively old Apple phone having been released last 2011 but a lot of people are still using it. We here at StudentNews understand that our readers’ value their iPhones which is why we are providing this free service where they can send us an email at [email protected] regarding issues and concerns on their device.
If you own an iPhone 4S or any other IPhone model for that matter feel free to send us an email regarding your concern and we will do our best to find a solution. Try to be as detailed as possible when describing the problem so that we can make an accurate assessment.
iPhone 4S Not Charging On Computer
Problem: My phone is only charging from the wall now and when i plug it into my computer it doesn’t turn on (just keeps showing the apple sign) and i really need to connect it to the iTunes store. any tips to help me?
Solution: First make sure that your device is switched on before connecting it to your computer. If this is the first time you will connect it to your computer unlock it and then click on Trust. Restart your phone and computer. In your computer launch the iTunes app and make sure that you are using the latest version. Download the necessary updates if there are any. Make sure that the USB cord you are using is not faulty, also do not connect it to a USB hub instead connect it straight to your computer. If your phone is still not charging on your computer then try using a different USB cord.
iPhone 4S Can’t Access Photos On Windows Explorer
Problem: I have been able to sync my iphone with itunes with no problems, but I have never been able to access my phone through windows explorer to download photos. This problem is on my desktop computer running on windows 7 pro 64-bit . I have connected my phone to my wife’s laptop running on windows 7 home premium 32-bit, and I have no problem accessing my photos, so I assume it is not the phone or the cable. I have tried many things with no success, including using a different usb port, uninstalling/reinstalling itunes, all to no avail. In device manager, I have tried uninstalling my iphone under portable devices, and apple mobile device usb driver (checking the box to delete the driver software). After scanning for hardware changes (or disconnecting reconnecting iphone), iphone shows up with a yellow triangle and exclamation point, and windows tells me that the driver installation failed. When I update the driver and point to the usbaapl64.inf file, it says it is successful, and then apple mobile device usb driver shows up under usb controllers again, but then windows reports the iphone driver failed to install (the error says the style of the INF was different than what was expected). If I try to update the driver for the iphone, and point to the usbaapl64.inf file, it tells me that “the folder does not contain a compatible software driver. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems.”
Solution: Make sure that you are using the latest 64-bit version of iTunes. If you are using the correct version then this could be an issue with the Windows 7 64-bit system.
Try these steps
- Plug phone in
- Go to Device manager >Universal Serial Bus Con>DELETE Apple Mobile USB driver
- Uninstall iTunes completely( Don’t repair )
- Unplug Phone and Reinstall ITunes
- Plug Phone back in and it should show up
If that didn’t work then try this
- Plug your iPhone to the computer without iTunes running
- Wait for a popup asking you what you want to do with the device
- Select “View Content”
- Find your photos through the folders that are displayed
- Copy in Windows as usual
Also, make sure that your iPhone is unlocked when you connect it to your computer.
iPhpne 4S Restoring Without Connecting To iTunes
Problem: My phone is disable mode after trying to do a software download and now it is locked out for good can I restore it without having to be connected to iTunes thank you for your help
Solution: There are two methods you can use to restore your device without iTunes
Use Find My iPhone (If you enabled Find My iPhone, you can use it to erase your device.)
- Go to icloud.com/#find to see if you enabled Find My iPhone.
- Click All Devices at the top of your browser window.
- Select your device and click “Erase [device]” to erase your device and its passcode.
- Use the Setup Assistant on your device to restore the most recent backup of your device.
Use recovery mode
- Disconnect all cables from your device.
- Turn off your device.
- Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to iTunes. If your device doesn’t turn on automatically, turn it on.
- Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
- iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode.
- Click OK, then restore the device.
iPhone 4S Will No Longer Connect To Wi-Fi
Problem: My iPhone 4s has stopped locating or connecting to ANY wifi networks what so ever. When I go to turn the wifi on, it will not locate anything. My home wifi will no longer be shown, along with any other wifi network that I normally connect to. I have researched everything, and tried every troubleshooting solution people have suggested. I am unable to manually enter information to connect to wifi because no wifi will even show up. i brought my iPhone to the apple store, and they did not know what was wrong with it. They opened up my phone, and said that everything looks great, and that the have no solution for me other than buying a new phone because I am no longer within the one year warrant. I am desperate to get this fixed as I am going over on my data, and don’t want to have to pay for a brand new iPhone. I am hoping somebody knows what could possibly be the problem.
Solution: If the tech support people of the Apple store doesn’t know what the problem is then it must be difficult to resolve. What I could suggest is to try to restore the network settings first.
- Turn on your iPhone by pressing the “Menu” button. Drag the slider to the “Unlock” position to display the home screen.
- Tap “Settings” to display your phone’s settings, then tap “General.”
- Scroll down the “General” settings to the bottom and tap “Reset.” Tap the “Reset Network Settings” option, then tap it again to confirm. Your iPhone should shut down for a few seconds, reset your network settings, and restart automatically.
If that does not work then try resetting all settings. Make sure to have a backup of all your data first
- Settings > General > Reset
Finally if you are still having a problem then you could restore the phone using iTunes and set it up as a new phone. The computer will need to have the latest version of iTunes installed.
- Connect the iPhone to the computer using the supplied USB cable
- Open the iTunes application on the computer, then click iPhone.
- Click Restore iPhone.
- Read the iTunes alert message and click Restore.
- Click the Next button in the iPhone Software Update window.
- Read the software license agreement, then click Agree.
- iTunes will begin restoring the iPhone to its default settings. Do not disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
- Once the restore is complete and the iPhone restarts, iTunes will display the Welcome to Your New iPhone screen.
- Click Set up as a new iPhone to set up the handset as a new device.
- Click the Get Started button.
- Click the Name field and enter a name for the iPhone, then click Done.
- The iPhone is now setup and ready to use
iPhone 4S Won’t Get Past Apple Logo
Problem: My iphone 4s restarted, but it only got to the apple logo screen, then restarted again. It was doing that repeatedly every 10 seconds or so for the last few hours. The only thing I could do was turn it off completely but only if it wasn’t plugged in. If I plugged it into a power source it kept restarting and I couldn’t even turn it off. But turning it off didn’t do anything anyway because when I turned it on again it just continued doing the same restart cycle. I tried a reset, which had no effect at all. I tried to do a complete restore using itunes, several times. It starts to restore but then I get a message “The iphone (iphone) could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).” I made sure itunes and OS X were up to date, restarted my computer, and tried again a few times with the same failed result. And now the phone doesn’t continually loop through the apple logo. Instead, after the apple logo, it shows the connect-to-itunes screen (in order to do a restore, but like I said, that doesn’t work) and stays on that screen for a minute until it turns off. So I don’t know what options I have left. As far as I can tell, I have a brick that lights up with an apple logo or itunes logo.
Solution: First make sure that the security software in the computer you ae using isn’t blocking the connection of iTunes to the Apple servers. Now try to restore your device again. If the problem still persists then try to contact Apple support.
iPhone 4s Camera Flashes When Phone Rings
Problem: When my iPhone 4s rings on a locked screen the camera flash flashes instead of vibrates. Anyone know why!
Solution: This is actually a feature of the device which you can enable or disable.
- Settings>General>Accessibility>LED Flash for Alerts. Turn it to off
iPhone 4S Does Not Connect To Wi-Fi Straight Out Of The Box
Problem: I bought a new iPhone 4S that did not have any battery charge out of the box. I charged it so it would at least power on. Going through the setup, it asks for the WiFi info. I can see the available networks, I choose mine (home) SSID, enter the WPA (personal) key. After doing this, I get the “Unable to join the network” error. I tried this a number of times and was not successful. Eventually, I decided to setup/configure by connecting the unit to iTunes directly. I tried the join the my local home Wifi (out of a Dlink DIR 655). I still get the “Unable to join the network” message. I also get the same message if I try to join a unprotected network. How do I solve this?
Solution: This could be an issue with the router. Try resetting your router then don’t activate any security features first. Try connecting to your router and see if it connects. If it does then a security feature of the router is preventing your device from connecting to it. Check and see if you had MAC filtering activated previously or try changing your wireless protection mode. Also try selecting the highest channel possible on your router.
iPhone 4S No FaceTime
Problem: I bought iphone 4s from saudi arabia and i notice that there is no facetime. so how can i download it?
Solution: Unfortunately the iPhone 4S sold in Saudi Arabia does not have the ability to use FaceTime as it has been hardware restricted. This means that even if you could get the software installed the hardware will not support it. Your best option is to sell your device and buy another model that supports FaceTime.
iPhone 4S Froze While Updating
Problem: My iPhone 4 froze while I doing the update, it wont power down or move forward, what do I do?
Solution: You will need to enter recovery mode to fix your device.
- Turn off your device. If you can’t turn it off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time and wait a few seconds for it to turn off.
- Plug the device’s USB cable into your computer only.
- Hold down the device’s Home button as you connect the USB cable to it.
- When you see the Connect to iTunes screen, release the Home button. If you don’t see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 one more time. iTunes should open and display a message such as: “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.”
- Use iTunes to restore your device.
iPhone 4S Recover Photos From Restored Device
Problem: My iphone was connected to my computer for the first time and then it restored it and it deleted my pictures how do i get my pictures back?
Solution: If you have a backup of your photos then you can restore it.
If you backed up using iCloud
- Follow the initial steps in the iOS Setup Assistant (select your language, and so on).
- Select Restore from iCloud Backup when the assistant asks you to set up your iPhone (or other iOS device)
- Select the backup you created earlier.
- You can restore a backup only by using the iOS Setup Assistant.
If you backed up using iTunes
- Connect your iOS device to the computer that has your backup.
- Make sure this computer has the latest version of iTunes.
- Choose File > Devices > Restore from Back up.
- If you’re using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Restore from Backup.
Engage with us
If you have any concerns regarding your iPhone feel free to email us at [email protected]. We will provide you with free technical support regarding the issue you are facing with your device. Just make sure to provide as much detail as possible so that we can make an accurate diagnosis.